Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What does the hobby "need"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Was just thinking about how the Ginter Glossy was numbered but not limited. It was sold in set form, not packs.

Something around /50 with beautiful cards. I know some people say they would go after the set, well neither would I, but I guarantee I'd open some in hopes of hitting a Jeter or Griffey base card. How many products can have you saying that?

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I've been guilty myself of hunting down relics and autos in a vain attempt to sell or trade out to things I half heartedly want. I really miss the days of set collecting and insert hunting. There were some Collectors Choice basketball sets in the mid 90s that were way too fun to put together. My all time favorite set to collect was that crazy 1991-92 Skybox. I know I went through way more packs than anyone should have, but I loved the design. They were cheap and a lot of fun. I think some part of that died when I decided to hunt questionable relics and autographs that mean nothing. Bah.

The hobby needs to follow the throwback to the days when it was more about fun than making a buck, but collectors really do too. Just my opinion.

Its interesting to think that the real hobby for many regular folks... is to get collectors to pay as much as possible for cards!

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Gilmore, maybe you know the answer to this.

Outside of licensing fees, would it be possible/profitable to make 15 card packs for .75 if the cards were old cardboard stock with no autos or gu?

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
Gilmore, maybe you know the answer to this.

Outside of licensing fees, would it be possible/profitable to make 15 card packs for .75 if the cards were old cardboard stock with no autos or gu?

Shipping and distribution costs would cut into that revenue somewhat.

That and they would have to produce a high volume of cards at that price point for production costs to hit a sweet spot and demand isn't there for that much volume of a single product.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Was just thinking about how the Ginter Glossy was numbered but not limited. It was sold in set form, not packs.

Something around /50 with beautiful cards. I know some people say they would go after the set, well neither would I, but I guarantee I'd open some in hopes of hitting a Jeter or Griffey base card. How many products can have you saying that?

I get what you're saying. I liked 2009 o-pee-chee for the set collectibility. I know it had some gu but they were pretty bland and only like one per box I think. And the black bordered cards were scarce. I enjoyed the look of the cards too. If we could just get back to something like that I'd be happy. I'd also like to see a set like that with a parallel but instead of it being gu or black bordered, it would be cool if every card in the set was available as an autographed parallel, they were all on card, and some were sp'd. But only the no names, and not the stars. That would be neat.

Members online

Latest posts