Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Muskiesfan had a heart attack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Okay, I have some time and thought I would give the more detailed follow up.

My LAD is 100% open with the stent, my left circumflex is 100% open with the stent, and the right artery (don't know the name) is 37% open. My cardiologist is not immediately concerned with the right. He feels that with the much improved blood flow to the other two major arteries, that things will get better and that through the changes I have made/am making, it will be well in the end.

The right artery is a worry because it is also damaged. Evidently I had Kawasaki Disease as a child. It affects children under the age of 5. The first reported case was in 1967 in Kawasaki, Japan. I was born in 1978, so there wasn't a lot known about it. It either enlarges blood vessels or can restrict them as well. It causes your body to produce extra cholesterol and causes plaque build up and hardening in blood vessels. My right artery is enlarged and damaged. I am guessing that may be why he doesn't want to talk or think stent. I wonder if that one would have to be a bypass because of the damage to it. That's purely speculation on my part.

From what we were told and have read, it is a treatable disease in children, but even if not treated it normally lasts about a month before the body fights it off. If you have young children, I would say make sure to have them checked for that. I think the numbers are 1 in 10,000.

I have my stress test on Monday. If that goes well, I should be starting cardiac rehab the following week. I am sticking to my low sodium habits and it is going well. I have lost around 25 pounds since the heart attack. So I am making sure that this is a lifestyle change and not just a diet, fad, or passing thing.

Thank you all for the prayers, well wishes, thoughts, words of encouragement, and everything. It has really meant a lot. I'll continue updating this until I get the all clear (hopefully August, fingers crossed).

Have a Happy and safe 4th!

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
My daughter has Kawasaki's. As far I know, it is something that stays with you all your life but only weakens the heart if left untreated, which it sounds like something you had happen.

It also closely resembles measles or a reaction to it's vaccine. But if left untreated, it does NOT heal itself, just the symptoms get worse...

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
My daughter has Kawasaki's. As far I know, it is something that stays with you all your life but only weakens the heart if left untreated, which it sounds like something you had happen.

It also closely resembles measles or a reaction to it's vaccine. But if left untreated, it does NOT heal itself, just the symptoms get worse...

Thank you very much for the information. I was going off of what little my cardiologist told me and what we found online. I thought I read that is passed in about a month. Obviously that was wrong. Mine was obviously left untreated.

As far as the feet thing, I just gathered that from talking to my cardiologist. He said that it affects people differently, but that the discoloration on my feet was definitely a sign/symptom.

I seriously do appreciate the extra information.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
I had my stress test on Monday. It went well, in my opinion. I haven't heard back from the cardiologist yet, but it was nice to do some serious activity and be fine. It was really good for me mentally. No chest pains, no heart attack, nothing bad, so I feel it was a success. Hopefully the results will say the same thing.

With both of those arteries completely open, I am feeling a lot better. The cpap has helped tremendously with my sleep as well. I am getting better sleep, sleeping longer, and feeling refreshed and rested when I wake up. I know that has to be helping my heart a lot.

It's definitely nice to be feeling so much better. Once I hear back from my cardiologist, I will find out when I can start cardiac rehab. I am looking forward to that because I really want to start exercising. Get the ticker pumping and heart flowing.

So when I hear back from the cardiologist, I'll update again. Hopefully the good news just keeps on coming. Thank you for all of the continued thoughts, prayers, and well wishes. This community is amazing.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
I apologize for taking a month to update this.

I am in cardiac rehab and doing well. It feels great to be working out and exercising. I know the ol' ticker can handle it.

The cpap machine has been a miracle. I sleep so much better. The amount of sleep I get has increased, it's a better quality sleep, and I feel a lot better when I wake up. I used to deal with a lot of headaches. Since using the cpap, I have rarely had a headaches, if at all. It's amazing what good sleep can do for the body.

I see the cardiologist today. Today I should find out when I am returning to work. Cardiac rehab is 8 weeks and I would complete it September 13th. From the paperwork my cardiologist filled out, today is the last day of my short term disability. He can re-send the paperwork and extend it though, not a difficult thing. The nurses at rehab would like me to complete it before I return to work, but the final call is up to my cardiologist. It doesn't matter to me either way.

We have fallen behind some because my disability money is only 50%. So getting back to getting fully paid would help tremendously. At the same time, completing rehab would help in getting me built back up to even better than I was before the heart attack.

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
I apologize for taking a month to update this.

I am in cardiac rehab and doing well. It feels great to be working out and exercising. I know the ol' ticker can handle it.

The cpap machine has been a miracle. I sleep so much better. The amount of sleep I get has increased, it's a better quality sleep, and I feel a lot better when I wake up. I used to deal with a lot of headaches. Since using the cpap, I have rarely had a headaches, if at all. It's amazing what good sleep can do for the body.

I see the cardiologist today. Today I should find out when I am returning to work. Cardiac rehab is 8 weeks and I would complete it September 13th. From the paperwork my cardiologist filled out, today is the last day of my short term disability. He can re-send the paperwork and extend it though, not a difficult thing. The nurses at rehab would like me to complete it before I return to work, but the final call is up to my cardiologist. It doesn't matter to me either way.

We have fallen behind some because my disability money is only 50%. So getting back to getting fully paid would help tremendously. At the same time, completing rehab would help in getting me built back up to even better than I was before the heart attack.

Wish you the best of luck!

Looking for Alex Rodriguez Cards, PM me.

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
Hey Joe.
I was away when this all went down and just stumbled upon this post.
SO sorry about what happened, but SO VERY happy things are getting better.
You are one of the good dudes here. Drop me a line if you need anything or just to talk.

Russ

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
I appreciate all of the support and well wishes, guys. It means a lot.

@Russ S - Thank you. I really appreciate it.

Everything went well. I was given the all clear. I am officially able to resume regular activities. I'll be returning to work soon, which will be nice. It's going to be great to get back to "normal".

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
I appreciate all of the support and well wishes, guys. It means a lot.

@Russ S - Thank you. I really appreciate it.

Everything went well. I was given the all clear. I am officially able to resume regular activities. I'll be returning to work soon, which will be nice. It's going to be great to get back to "normal".

WOOT WOOT looks like Joe is going to be getting some sex in the near future :lol:

Members online

Latest posts