User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I think Mo is going to break Tom Seaver's HOF % record

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Maddux has a good shot at breaking Seaver's mark as well.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's the greatest closer ever, but the best closer ever isn't as valuable as the 25th, or 50th, best starter ever. Maddux is eligible soon and his career was WAY more valuable than Rivera's. Mo was a part of many championship teams but it's not like he carried them...he could only really help when the team had already taken the lead without him (or at least tied it). He deserves to be in the Hall, but I don't think he'll get the highest vote percentage ever. Who on earth would not vote for Maddux first ballot then vote for Rivera on the first ballot?

carddash
     carddash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rickey5191 View Post
    Not going to happen, Cal Ripken and Nolan Ryan are the two highest vote getters and never got 100%. Rickey Henderson did not either. You know some old voting guy is going to think a reliever is not worthy since most of the older pitchers (older than Mo) went the distance.
    There were quite a few writers that didn't like Rickey Henderson and felt he just hung around to collect milestones...I mean he was already a HOF before his last 7-8 years in the big leagues...that explains his 91%.

While Cal Ripken and Nolan Ryan are well-loved, many feel that they had areas of their game that just were not dominant (Cal's low batting average for a HOF, Nolan Ryan's walks and losses), on top of that their postseasons are not historic.

Mariano has EVERYTHING going for him. Easily the best at his position of all time, the most dominant pitcher in postseason, holds the record for the most important stat at his position, he's a life-long Yankee (stayed with the same team entire career), never played past his prime (going out on top), and one of the nicest people in baseball ever.

Really his only flaw is that he's a RP but I cannot see how that will keep writers from voting for him. I don't think he'll get 100% but I do think he'll break Seaver's record.
    Last edited by markakis8; 05-19-2013 at 04:41 PM.

yanksrule335
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: I think Mo is going to break Tom Seaver's HOF % record

If anyone should of beat that re Ord it should have been ripken. Seriously who doesn't like that guy!?!?!?

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    SCF Member name Joeya2001 (124) Positive Feedback
    Now collecting Strasburg
    And Always......Cal Ripken
    http://questforripken.webs.com/ <--Have List
    UPDATED---5/10/2012
    Have 1822/11182 Total BV 17,324.85 / 16.29%

carddash
     carddash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilferules View Post
    He's the greatest closer ever, but the best closer ever isn't as valuable as the 25th, or 50th, best starter ever. Maddux is eligible soon and his career was WAY more valuable than Rivera's. Mo was a part of many championship teams but it's not like he carried them...he could only really help when the team had already taken the lead without him (or at least tied it). He deserves to be in the Hall, but I don't think he'll get the highest vote percentage ever. Who on earth would not vote for Maddux first ballot then vote for Rivera on the first ballot?
    I don't think anyone is saying someone is going to not vote for Maddux and then vote for Mo. Also remember, the voting for Maddux and Mo will be 5 or 6 years apart and there could be quite a few writers that do not vote anymore and quite a few writer additions in that time span.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anyone could push the weight of a closer and the value of a HOF candidate (as a closer), it's Mo. I for one can not conceivable think why anyone would not vote him in on the first ballot, but then again this is the HOF voting committee we are talking about. He could be the first 100% or not make it the first time around and neither would shock me considering the source.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just looked up Lou Gehrig and he got 85%. . . that sums up how hard it is to get 100, there is always some oddball voter.

Baltimore (Chicago and Milwaukee at heart)
     jlklemp28
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of guys should get 100%, but somehow it doesn't happen. All you can do is shake your head and wonder. I think Mo, Maddux, and Frank Thomas (as well as other names mentioned like Griffey and Jeter) SHOULD be obvious, but it probably won't happen for any of them.
    Warren Spahn // Austin Jackson // 2012 Press Pass Showcase Masterpieces
    //
    2007 SP Rookie Edition Autos //2008 Masterpieces: Patch & Patch Auto, Relic
    & Relic Auto, Stroke of Genius, & Color Parallels (Red, Blue 125, Brown 100, Green 75,
    Blue 50, Silver 25, Gold 10, & Blue 5) // My Gallery

Mentioned
    402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Mo is going to break Tom Seaver's HOF % record

Voters suck!!

Signed,

Albert Belle
    The Albert Belle Collector
    Entire Private Collection: 2,623/2,891 - 90.7%

Accomplished my impossible quest for +90% in October 2016

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by matfanofold View Post
    If anyone could push the weight of a closer and the value of a HOF candidate (as a closer), it's Mo. I for one can not conceivable think why anyone would not vote him in on the first ballot, but then again this is the HOF voting committee we are talking about. He could be the first 100% or not make it the first time around and neither would shock me considering the source.
    This was my thought. I know that closers are perceived as different and not as important, but it's not like the closer position is going anywhere. Hoffman and Mo soldified it as a legit position in baseball. So why not have the greatest at the position in the HoF, and why waste time voting him in?
    "I'm an acquired taste; if you don't like me, you should acquire some taste!"-- Stephen Colbert

Trade album Personal Collection

dragsy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, aside from being a devout Yankee fan, I think his post season performance makes him an absolute must vote. Tons of multi-inning appearances and two freakin' seasons worth of relief work (141 IP!) just in the PS.
    And this also in the post season:
    0.759 WHIP (86 H and 21 BB in those 141 IP)
    0.70 ERA
    2 HR!

GMS-SPORTS-CARDS
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really think the % matters. If some of the guys who are in, like ruth, mays, aaron, etc, weren't 100%, then it's kinda of a joke.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hive17 View Post
    This was my thought. I know that closers are perceived as different and not as important, but it's not like the closer position is going anywhere. Hoffman and Mo soldified it as a legit position in baseball. So why not have the greatest at the position in the HoF, and why waste time voting him in?
    I agree. It's a position in the game.

Sincerely,
    Edgar Martinez

dragsy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I agree. It's a position in the game.

Sincerely,
    Edgar Martinez
    And think about it this way: that's the guy Mariano always refers to as the one guy he couldn't get out.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put MO on the Pirates in the same time frame and tell me that. NO WAY!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast