User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: I think Mo is going to break Tom Seaver's HOF % record

Kyouk20
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regardless of how you feel about closers Rivera was as dominant as any pitcher. Maybe he played for great teams that inflated his save total, maybe one inning at time isn't as difficult as going through a lineup several times but he essentially threw one pitch...and people still couldn't hit it. Every batter knew what they would see for the most part and he still dominated them. Hes a unanimous hall of famer, the fact that he is the first one is laughable but even though I spent his entire career hating him as a Sox fan, I'm happy for him.

gracecollector
    Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What no one has mentioned is that there are some voters who, even when they like the guy and feel he deserves to be in the HOF, won't use their vote on a shoe-in candidate like Mo. Instead, they will vote for 10 other guys on their ballot and try to get their marginal favorites more votes. Between those types of voters and the voters that won't vote for any first ballot player, no one gets 100%.

And then the voters evolve - and he gets the unanimous vote! Maybe there's hope for the system.
    Last edited by gracecollector; 01-23-2019 at 11:26 AM.

piledriver1
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this opens the door for future unanimous elections being easier, if that's the right word, namely Jeter. Writers have now demonstrated that it's ok to vote for the shoe-in, that using that slot for down-ballot activism is not necessary, that you can be big enough to overlook that slight when he didn't answer your question after a bad beat in 2002, or whatever. I'm still ticked at the three ding-dongs who didn't vote for Griffey.
    Looking for 2011 Topps Marquee Museum autographs, rare Frank Thomases, and any Grady Sizemores I don't have

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I completely agree with Rivera getting 100% of the votes. I mean, like duh. But I also agreed with Griffey getting 100%, however some whack jobs thought otherwise.

Nothing against Rivera, but the 100% vote is much, much more a reflection of the times and the voters than it is on him. For god's sake, freaking Cobb, Ruth, Musial, Mays, Schmidt, Maddux, Griffey, yada yada didn't get 100%. It's a positive manifestation of the same "watering down" that had the negative manifestation of letting Harold Baines in. Great guy, not a hall of famer. Sorry!

Anyway, the times are definitely changing. We have "opener" pitchers starting games, and nobody gives a sht about Wins or RBI anymore, and Harold Baines has the same plaque in Cooperstown as Walter Johnson. It is what it is. But congrats to Rivera. 100% had to happen sometime, and it couldn't have happened to a better pitcher, or a better guy.

Quote Originally Posted by smapdi View Post
    I think this opens the door for future unanimous elections being easier, if that's the right word, namely Jeter. Writers have now demonstrated that it's ok to vote for the shoe-in, that using that slot for down-ballot activism is not necessary, that you can be big enough to overlook that slight when he didn't answer your question after a bad beat in 2002, or whatever. I'm still ticked at the three ding-dongs who didn't vote for Griffey.
    Collecting Roberto Alomar. Over 4000 unique cards, but always looking for those I'm missing!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smapdi View Post
    I'm still ticked at the three ding-dongs who didn't vote for Griffey.
    Right? HOF voting shouldn't have a "strategy." Not voting for someone like Griffey, so you can keep someone else on the ballot is ****ing stupid.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Listen goob, those voters are all snowflakes and you need to respect their unique philosophical viewpoints

Quote Originally Posted by goobmcnasty View Post
    Right? HOF voting shouldn't have a "strategy." Not voting for someone like Griffey, so you can keep someone else on the ballot is ****ing stupid.
    Collecting Roberto Alomar. Over 4000 unique cards, but always looking for those I'm missing!

Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL
    The Albert Belle Collector
    Entire Private Collection: 2,624/2,891 - 90.8%

Accomplished my impossible quest for +90% in October 2016

Hendersonfan
     Hendersonfan24
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There should be multiple people that were unanimous. I still can't fathom Cy Young didn't make 1st ballot. And voters didn't even vote for Rickey. Nolan should have been 100%. Babe Ruth 100%. There are no doubters.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234