Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I think Mo is going to break Tom Seaver's HOF % record

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
So I was searching for a post I made a while back about Mo being the first unanimous HOFer (which led to the random Wagner HOF thread bump)...and I want to call this right now.

I think Mo will break Seaver's HOF % voting record of 98.8%. It's a long shot, I know. Especially since their are more writers voting than in 1992. But I do believe for every 100 possible voters, 99 will vote Mo in.

There is NO debate he's the best closer of all time. He is the most dominant pitcher in the postseason. And he might in the top 10 of nicest ball players of all time. I say he gets above 99% and it would not shock me (although I don't think it will happen) if he gets 100%.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
I hope not. I dont think the closers role is that important and should be weighted as such. And i am sure there are at least a few voters who will agree.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Mo has the highest career reliever WAR... by a ton.

He won't get 100% as some writer will not vote for him thinking he's not the perfect player... I've no problem with this happening.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Any and all bias aside, there aren't too many "lock" HOFers that could potentially get 100% of the vote outside Mo....Maddux....Griffey...maybe Jeter....

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I was hoping this was about Vaughn not Rivera... But it'll be tough for him to hit 99% as there are just people who do things like no first ballot, anti reliever, prob anti Yankee, etc. Voting is just so temperamental. He may have a shot at the 99 but it'll be hard. I'm actually surprised how high if a % Brett got do who knows.
Ryan

rickey5191

May 24, 2011
Not going to happen, Cal Ripken and Nolan Ryan are the two highest vote getters and never got 100%. Rickey Henderson did not either. You know some old voting guy is going to think a reliever is not worthy since most of the older pitchers (older than Mo) went the distance.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
If anyone's going to break it, it's going to be Maddux. If Maddux doesn't, no one ever will. I'd say Griffey, but because of the era he played in, some idiots will not vote for Griffey on the first-ballot. As for Mo, I'll bet there are quite a few voters who agree with Moxacaine that closers aren't that important, thus won't vote for him.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
Yeah, I thought Rickey would have broken it, but a few guys didn't list him om their ballot. Obviously biased, but who can argue against him not going in? I feel some writers try to make a statement with their ballot and use as a personal platform.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
No way!!! I'd make a friendly wager on that one.. The guy who beats Seaver will most probably be Derek Jeter.,

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
He's the greatest closer ever, but the best closer ever isn't as valuable as the 25th, or 50th, best starter ever. Maddux is eligible soon and his career was WAY more valuable than Rivera's. Mo was a part of many championship teams but it's not like he carried them...he could only really help when the team had already taken the lead without him (or at least tied it). He deserves to be in the Hall, but I don't think he'll get the highest vote percentage ever. Who on earth would not vote for Maddux first ballot then vote for Rivera on the first ballot?

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Not going to happen, Cal Ripken and Nolan Ryan are the two highest vote getters and never got 100%. Rickey Henderson did not either. You know some old voting guy is going to think a reliever is not worthy since most of the older pitchers (older than Mo) went the distance.

There were quite a few writers that didn't like Rickey Henderson and felt he just hung around to collect milestones...I mean he was already a HOF before his last 7-8 years in the big leagues...that explains his 91%.

While Cal Ripken and Nolan Ryan are well-loved, many feel that they had areas of their game that just were not dominant (Cal's low batting average for a HOF, Nolan Ryan's walks and losses), on top of that their postseasons are not historic.

Mariano has EVERYTHING going for him. Easily the best at his position of all time, the most dominant pitcher in postseason, holds the record for the most important stat at his position, he's a life-long Yankee (stayed with the same team entire career), never played past his prime (going out on top), and one of the nicest people in baseball ever.

Really his only flaw is that he's a RP but I cannot see how that will keep writers from voting for him. I don't think he'll get 100% but I do think he'll break Seaver's record.

Last edited:

joeya2001

Oct 4, 2012
If anyone should of beat that re Ord it should have been ripken. Seriously who doesn't like that guy!?!?!?

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Freedom Card Board mobile app

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
He's the greatest closer ever, but the best closer ever isn't as valuable as the 25th, or 50th, best starter ever. Maddux is eligible soon and his career was WAY more valuable than Rivera's. Mo was a part of many championship teams but it's not like he carried them...he could only really help when the team had already taken the lead without him (or at least tied it). He deserves to be in the Hall, but I don't think he'll get the highest vote percentage ever. Who on earth would not vote for Maddux first ballot then vote for Rivera on the first ballot?

I don't think anyone is saying someone is going to not vote for Maddux and then vote for Mo. Also remember, the voting for Maddux and Mo will be 5 or 6 years apart and there could be quite a few writers that do not vote anymore and quite a few writer additions in that time span.

Members online