Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I think Mo is going to break Tom Seaver's HOF % record

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
If anyone could push the weight of a closer and the value of a HOF candidate (as a closer), it's Mo. I for one can not conceivable think why anyone would not vote him in on the first ballot, but then again this is the HOF voting committee we are talking about. He could be the first 100% or not make it the first time around and neither would shock me considering the source.

Waxov

Mar 23, 2013
USA
I just looked up Lou Gehrig and he got 85%. . . that sums up how hard it is to get 100, there is always some oddball voter.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
Lots of guys should get 100%, but somehow it doesn't happen. All you can do is shake your head and wonder. I think Mo, Maddux, and Frank Thomas (as well as other names mentioned like Griffey and Jeter) SHOULD be obvious, but it probably won't happen for any of them.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
If anyone could push the weight of a closer and the value of a HOF candidate (as a closer), it's Mo. I for one can not conceivable think why anyone would not vote him in on the first ballot, but then again this is the HOF voting committee we are talking about. He could be the first 100% or not make it the first time around and neither would shock me considering the source.

This was my thought. I know that closers are perceived as different and not as important, but it's not like the closer position is going anywhere. Hoffman and Mo soldified it as a legit position in baseball. So why not have the greatest at the position in the HoF, and why waste time voting him in?

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
For me, aside from being a devout Yankee fan, I think his post season performance makes him an absolute must vote. Tons of multi-inning appearances and two freakin' seasons worth of relief work (141 IP!) just in the PS.
And this also in the post season:
0.759 WHIP (86 H and 21 BB in those 141 IP)
0.70 ERA
2 HR!

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
I don't really think the % matters. If some of the guys who are in, like ruth, mays, aaron, etc, weren't 100%, then it's kinda of a joke.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
This was my thought. I know that closers are perceived as different and not as important, but it's not like the closer position is going anywhere. Hoffman and Mo soldified it as a legit position in baseball. So why not have the greatest at the position in the HoF, and why waste time voting him in?

I agree. It's a position in the game.

Sincerely,
Edgar Martinez

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I'm glad the majority of voters have never stepped on a baseball field.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
When voters vote NO, because they don't like a guy, please explain why the % even matters????
If he gets 100%, what does it mean??
To me, it means he won a popularity contest.
Which means very little.
It's about getting in, and everyone knows he belongs.
But does getting 100% mean you belong more than someone who got 98??
% of getting in = meaningless at this point.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I think Mo will break Seaver's HOF % voting record of 98.8%. It's a long shot, I know. Especially since their are more writers voting than in 1992. But I do believe for every 100 possible voters, 99 will vote Mo in.

It won't happen. Too many writers believe someone should not be voted on their first ballot -- or not worthy enough of a first ballot vote -- or too many writers will say he's been overhyped and overrated because he played his career for the Yankees.

I think he's among the best closers of all-time so he'd make my first ballot vote if I had one.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
There are just too many voters with weird agendas and arbitrary criteria to think anyone will hit 99% these days. Since Seaver, the only person I thought might've had a shot was Ripken, and he didn't get there. Of everyone else in the world who hasn't been on a ballot yet, the only guy I think could get there is Maddux, but it's an extreme long shot. Since Ryan in 1999, only Ripken and Gwynn in 2007 and Henderson in 2009 even hit 92%. Obviously, every ballot is different, but if there's anyone out there who didn't think either of those 3 guys didn't deserve a vote, I'm sure at least that many will think Rivera won't.

Members online

Latest posts