Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rare Piece of Baseball History Found at Des Moines Garage Sale For $1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
Great to see in this day and age that somebody went out of their way to make sure a family kept an heirloom they didn't even know they had. I would bet about 90% of people would have just asked how much for it and took it to an auction house.... provenance be damned.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
So that guy can tell who used a baseball bat by the tape on it, but doesn't know that you are supposed to use a piece of paper when you do a pencil rubbing?

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
That's an amazing story and even more amazing that her uncle was one of the only Dodgers willing to room with Jackie Robinson. Cool stuff!

Allen

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I'm not sure what's more amazing, this story or the fact that people still use AOL.

TNPM

Jun 5, 2013
It is great that the gent told the lady about her treasure. The fact that the family member roomed with Jackie gives the story a ring of truth.
Now she and her family can enjoy their heirloom and it's great history. I am always amazed at what one finds in the least likely spots.

Many of the relics found at Home | The National Pastime Museum have great provenance.

What are some of the finds that you folks have discovered in unlikely places?

BallCard_Blog

Jan 24, 2013
That guy is a way better person than I am. I'm telling you right now, if I had the knowledge that it was a Robinson bat, and it was $1, that would have been mine in a heartbeat. There's no way I would have told the owners.

Matsuicollector

Aug 7, 2008
That guy is a way better person than I am. I'm telling you right now, if I had the knowledge that it was a Robinson bat, and it was $1, that would have been mine in a heartbeat. There's no way I would have told the owners.

Same here. I don't see it as any different than an "ebay steal" or anything that is bought in that thrift shop thread, in which case the buyer would be congratulated. Maybe your conscious gets the better of you and you explain its worth a little more and offer quite a bit more money, which I'm sure would have made the sellers' day anyway, and you still walk away with a "steal" and precious piece of baseball history. They obviously had no knowledge of the bat, and thus probably do not care so much about the game in the first place. So why not buy it, and keep it or sell it so it ends up with someone who will truly appreciate it.

Members online

Latest posts