User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rare Piece of Baseball History Found at Des Moines Garage Sale For $1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is great that the gent told the lady about her treasure. The fact that the family member roomed with Jackie gives the story a ring of truth.
    Now she and her family can enjoy their heirloom and it's great history. I am always amazed at what one finds in the least likely spots.

Many of the relics found at Home | The National Pastime Museum have great provenance.

What are some of the finds that you folks have discovered in unlikely places?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rare Piece of Baseball History Found at Des Moines Garage Sale For $1

That guy is a way better person than I am. I'm telling you right now, if I had the knowledge that it was a Robinson bat, and it was $1, that would have been mine in a heartbeat. There's no way I would have told the owners.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BallCard_Blog View Post
    That guy is a way better person than I am. I'm telling you right now, if I had the knowledge that it was a Robinson bat, and it was $1, that would have been mine in a heartbeat. There's no way I would have told the owners.
    Same here. I don't see it as any different than an "ebay steal" or anything that is bought in that thrift shop thread, in which case the buyer would be congratulated. Maybe your conscious gets the better of you and you explain its worth a little more and offer quite a bit more money, which I'm sure would have made the sellers' day anyway, and you still walk away with a "steal" and precious piece of baseball history. They obviously had no knowledge of the bat, and thus probably do not care so much about the game in the first place. So why not buy it, and keep it or sell it so it ends up with someone who will truly appreciate it.
    Collecting anything and everything Jorge Posada
    Finders Fees for:
    2004 Topps Originals Bob Watson Auto (yankee uni) & 2004 Absolutely Ink Jorge Posada Patch/Bat/Auto /5

jagr3boys
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the guy just bought it for a buck and left, he may not have gotten the whole story--which really helps authenticate the bat as legit, not just a store version. No backstory, he'd have a tougher time having it authenticated.
    Collecting Gary and Joe Gaetti, Ozzie Smith, Kenny Boyer, Albert Pujols, Kirby Puckett, Joe Mauer,and Brian Dinkleman. PM me if you have something you don't need that I might!

And if you want to friend me on Facebook, please let me know your online handle, since I may not know your real name!

richandsheryl
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenegg1 View Post
    I wasn't trying to correct you, don't mistake me for one of those guys.
    High oooooooo I know that

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too bad the bat is nothing more than a retail store model bat. The dead giveaway is the single "4" stamped into the knob. If this were a true gamer it would at the very least have a full model number stamped into the knob. The only model Jackie ordered with a 4 in it is the H4 model in 1950, there is no H on that knob. The length and weight are probably off as well and the wood grain appears inferior. Also anyone with some sense would know that to do a proper rubbing, you do it on a sheet of paper, not directly onto the item itself. A plausible story doesn't make an item real, the item itself makes it real or not.

Team Collector of: Mariners, Marlins & Avalanche

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rare Piece of Baseball History Found at Des Moines Garage Sale For $1

I would have paid her the 1$ and did 100mph out if there. Nice guys finish last. I hope i get flamed for my opinion.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Rare Piece of Baseball History Found at Des Moines Garage Sale For $1

Quote Originally Posted by Big Mac McGwire View Post
    I would have paid her the 1$ and did 100mph out if there. Nice guys finish last. I hope i get flamed for my opinion.
    Damn right, im gonna flame your ass!

100 mph ONLY? SHOULD BE MORE LIKE 200 mph

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, the way I see it with collectibles is, it's better that a guy who collects and just keeps and appreciates the items they buy finds a steal, rather than a guy out looking to make money. I have zero problems with people making money and it's their right. But if you are buying items that you personally appreciate and never intend to resell, more power to you. I've gotten some very sweet deals and on some occasions, it was because the seller knew very little about the item. On others, it was because the seller knew I'd enjoy and appreciate the item like others would not. So even if I get a steal, I don't get a steal money wise. I get a steal memory wise. To me, none of this stuff is any more valuable than the memories it inspires or maintains. That's one of the key reasons I collect the basketball player in my sig. You think Stackhouse stuff is worth a mint? Nope! But it takes me back to a time when all I had to do was worry about going to school, not get my ass beat, and enjoy life. Nothing more, nothing less. So it was a pretty nice time and I relish the chance to hold onto those memories. The way I figure it, anybody who can do the same, I'm happy for them. Really.
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell all day every day!
    Current Jeff Bagwell count: 4,637 different cards!
    Also collecting Jerry Stackhouse! 751 different cards!
    Also collecting Jack Lambert and football players from all Texas colleges!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldRain View Post
    Too bad the bat is nothing more than a retail store model bat. The dead giveaway is the single "4" stamped into the knob. If this were a true gamer it would at the very least have a full model number stamped into the knob. The only model Jackie ordered with a 4 in it is the H4 model in 1950, there is no H on that knob. The length and weight are probably off as well and the wood grain appears inferior. Also anyone with some sense would know that to do a proper rubbing, you do it on a sheet of paper, not directly onto the item itself. A plausible story doesn't make an item real, the item itself makes it real or not.
    Oh snap. Well I hope the family doesn't try to sell it then.
    The bat is also so beat to hell that it was obviously played with by kids for many years, so Joe Hatten or someone in the family probably bought Robinson's store model bat for the kids to play with.
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Crazy story!
    Looking for Kenny Hilliard!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12