Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2013-14 NCAA Hockey Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
It was announced that an IFL team will begin play next season at the Sanford Center in Bemidji.

Team will be named the "Bemidji Axemen"

Honestly, I'd rather see an NBA D-League team take over the Sanford Center for games, but that would of course cause major scheduling conflicts.

byronscott4ever

Dec 3, 2009
It was announced that an IFL team will begin play next season at the Sanford Center in Bemidji.

Team will be named the "Bemidji Axemen"

Honestly, I'd rather see an NBA D-League team take over the Sanford Center for games, but that would of course cause major scheduling conflicts.

It's Bemidji so any pro team is a gift. The league isn't the most stable so I'm guessing three years max unless fans really embrace them. Id love the NBDL there but Des Moines is bigger and closer

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
It's Bemidji so any pro team is a gift. The league isn't the most stable so I'm guessing three years max unless fans really embrace them. Id love the NBDL there but Des Moines is bigger and closer

Closest NBDL team is in Sioux Falls.

I agree though, any pro team is a gift. I just don't see a huge following (outside of the first few games), because of the Lumberjacks, Beavers, Gophers, and Vikings being the popular teams there.

tunahead

May 17, 2009
Austin,TX
Went to a pre-season NHL game in San Antonio, Stars vs. Panthers. Got to see former Maverick Travis Morin play and he got an assist, he's added another assist since then. He's been a good scorer for the AHL Stars but has only gotten to play 3 regular season NHL games in his career. So far, he's survived their first couple cuts so maybe he'll get to play a few more NHL games! Former Maverick Tyler Elbrecht is in the AHL Stars training camp now.

Also, the WCHA and America One Sports have teamed up to stream the WCHA conference games and have a full season package available: WCHA.com - WCHA TV Powered by America ONE Sports set to Launch for 2013-14 Season
From what I've heard, all the schools have purchased HD cameras so hopefully the feed will be decent. I've had some pretty poor broadcasts from America One in the past...

byronscott4ever

Dec 3, 2009
Closest NBDL team is in Sioux Falls.

I agree though, any pro team is a gift. I just don't see a huge following (outside of the first few games), because of the Lumberjacks, Beavers, Gophers, and Vikings being the popular teams there.

I think Des Moines is closer. Flip said ideally the team would own a team in Rochester or St. Cloud. Axemen run Feb-June I think so less competition with other teams.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I think Des Moines is closer. Flip said ideally the team would own a team in Rochester or St. Cloud. Axemen run Feb-June I think so less competition with other teams.

Des Moines is in the middle of Iowa, Sioux Falls is just outside of the MN border.

Anyways, I think an NBDL team in St. Cloud or Rochester would be cool. I'm surprised Rochester doesn't have a pro team in anything.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Went to a pre-season NHL game in San Antonio, Stars vs. Panthers. Got to see former Maverick Travis Morin play and he got an assist, he's added another assist since then. He's been a good scorer for the AHL Stars but has only gotten to play 3 regular season NHL games in his career. So far, he's survived their first couple cuts so maybe he'll get to play a few more NHL games! Former Maverick Tyler Elbrecht is in the AHL Stars training camp now.

Also, the WCHA and America One Sports have teamed up to stream the WCHA conference games and have a full season package available: WCHA.com - WCHA TV Powered by America ONE Sports set to Launch for 2013-14 Season
From what I've heard, all the schools have purchased HD cameras so hopefully the feed will be decent. I've had some pretty poor broadcasts from America One in the past...

Are the broadcasts going to be free? jw

PBS broadcasts Bemidji games, and those are fun to watch. They were better than the FSN broadcasts (when the Goofers were up there).

byronscott4ever

Dec 3, 2009
Des Moines is in the middle of Iowa, Sioux Falls is just outside of the MN border.

Anyways, I think an NBDL team in St. Cloud or Rochester would be cool. I'm surprised Rochester doesn't have a pro team in anything.

Time wise, DM is a half hour closer to TC. IA has the Wild minor team so it makes sense for Wolves plus Miami took over Sioux Falls on their own so it was the best choice.

tunahead

May 17, 2009
Austin,TX
Are the broadcasts going to be free? jw

PBS broadcasts Bemidji games, and those are fun to watch. They were better than the FSN broadcasts (when the Goofers were up there).

Unfortunately no, it's $125 for the WCHA package which gets you all the games. In the past they had a team package as well... but not seeing that right now. Hoping they still have that option as I don't really need the full package for all the teams.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Unfortunately no, it's $125 for the WCHA package which gets you all the games. In the past they had a team package as well... but not seeing that right now. Hoping they still have that option as I don't really need the full package for all the teams.

That sucks. I can't afford cable at the new place so I was banking on that.

tunahead

May 17, 2009
Austin,TX
Last edited:

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I was hopeful that my school would get a hockey team after the completion of a new arena...

Looks like there aren't any plans for that. Oh well.

They compete in the same DII conference as Bemidji, MSU, UMD, and SCSU

tunahead

May 17, 2009
Austin,TX
So good to have college hockey back... even if it's just exhibition games.

Indeed! Mavs looked pretty good last night, but hard to judge from an exhibition. They beat Lethbridge 7-1, but they beat them by the same score last year and then started the season with a 1-5 record. I ended up buying the game on America Sports One, quality wasn't too bad.

Sucks that they don't have the opening game against Providence though, I guess I'll just have to listen to it on the radio.