Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Super Spectacular Boxscore Bingo: Layer 6 is Complete!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
Welcome to this contest. If you haven't signed up, please do so in the Signup Thread before July 1st.

This thread will give you all the information you need to play my biggest bingo giveaway yet.

As mentioned, the grand prize is not guaranteed, but should knock your socks off if you are lucky enough to win it.

Good luck to everyone.

OVERVIEW

Each player will look through online MLB boxscores and try to exactly match the scenarios found on their card.

Each card is arranged in an 8 layer pyramid. Each layer is played one at a time, top to bottom.

If a player completes the current layer and are the first to submit it to me via PM, they win the prize indicated.

Contestants may only work on a layer after the previous layer has been won.

In other words, you may not use any dates on or prior to the previous layer's completion.

Once a winning layer is announced and confirmed, everyone may start working on the next layer the following day.

- One card per contestant

- Each card is 100% randomly generated

- Each card has 36 squares, broken down into an 8 layer pyramid (plus a 9th Grand Prize layer explained below):

Layer 1. Alphanumeric (grey)
Layer 2. Game Score (gold)
Layer 3. Team Pitching (blue)
Layer 4. Team Batting (pink)
Layer 5. Miscellaneous (orange)
Layer 6. Starting Pitcher (purple)
Layer 7. Top Individual Batter (yellow)
Layer 8. Wild Card (green)

The 9th layer features the grand prize. This layer features 7 random MLB teams and a game outcome (win/loss). If all 7 scenarios are met on the same day, that player wins an 18" x 24" 1990 MLBPA Reunion poster signed by 82 Hall of Famers. The poster is authenticated by JSA and features nearly every notable Hall of Famer from WWII - 2006.

Unlike the first 8 layers, this does not have any prerequisite other than the August 1 - September 29 window for which the prize is available. If no one completes all 7 scenarios on the same day before the season ends on September 29th, no prize will be awarded for this layer.

USEFUL LINKS

MLB.com must be used to verify all boxscores.

ESPN.com is used to verify the daily strikeout and home run leaders. You'll only need to refer to this link if you have a "Bombs Away" or "Lights Out" scenario in your Wild Card (green) section.

ESPN.com is also used to verify the Game Score Layer. You'll only need to refer to this link for the 2nd layer.

HOW TO PLAY

1. Starting on July 1st, check the boxscores for the scenarios shown on your card. If you find an outcome that is an exact match to the one shown on your card, you can cross off that square.

2. Be sure to mark down the date of each boxscore you use to cross off a square. This is very important when the time comes to submit your entry to me as a potential winner.

3. Once you cross off all squares in the current, you are eligible to win a prize. Please send me a PM dates you used to complete your layer and I will confirm. If you are the first to PM a correct entry for that section, you win!

NOTES

1. The most important rule of this game is that you must have an exact match to the scenario indicated before you can cross it off.

2. Once a winning layer is submitted, no one else may win that layer. I will announce the winner of that layer, and the date contestants may start working on the next layer.

3. Contestants can win more than once, so long as they're the first to send me a PM with a winning layer and the dates used to complete that layer.

4. For the Top Individual Batter section, you must use the player with the highest number for that scenario. If you look at the sample card below, you'll see the 3rd scenario in layer 6 reads:

St. Louis
Same League Opp.
1 Strikeout

In order to cross this square off, you must have an St. Louis batter have exactly 1 strikeout against a National League opponent. If one St. Louis batter has 1 strikeout and another has 2 strikeouts, you cannot cross that space off. Always look at the single highest total for a scenario when attempting to cross the space off. On the other hand, if more than one St. Louis batter has exactly 1 strikeout vs. a National League opponent, that does count since the single highest strikeout total is exactly 1.

5. As mentioned previously, your card may have a "Bombs Away" or "Lights Out" scenario in your Wild Card (green) section. These scenarios refer to the entire league on a particular range of dates. Simply go to the ESPN Daily Leaders link at the top of this thread and find the total number of home runs hit or number of pitchers who struck out 9+ on a date that fits your scenario.

6. For the 1st layer, the square features the initials of 4 major league batters and/or pitchers. To complete this layer, simply find 1 of those 4 players who meet the single game criteria shown. Simple as that.

7. For the 2nd layer, simply go to the ESPN Daily Pitching Game Score link at the top of this thread and add up the scores for each of the four teams you have in each scenario. If that total is equal to or greater than 300, cross off that square. Complete both squares and be the first to PM me to win that layer!

8. I'd like to clarify one scenario involving men left on base. If you get that scenario for an individual batter, just read his individual LOB number from his boxscore line. If you get Team LOB, you have to go down to the batting summary to get the number. For some reason, Team LOB is usually different than simply adding up the individual LOB numbers.

9. If you have any doubt as to how to read one of your scenarios, please ask. Although there are a few new features to the game as compared to previous versions, there are plenty of folks on this board who are familiar with the general rules and should be able to help you out in case I'm not around.

Sample Card

Grand Prize

Note: The grand prize is valued at approximately $1,500. If someone is lucky enough to win, they agree to only pay for shipping and insurance.

WINNERS

Layer 1: wildcat4 (July 1)
Layer 2: wildcat4 (July 4)
Layer 3: clarkzac (July 12)
Layer 4: nerdherd020 (August 2)
Layer 5: metallicalex777 (August 7)
Layer 6: clarkzac (Sept 2)
Layer 7: ???
Layer 8: ???
Layer 9: djrulz (August 28)

Last edited:

djrulz

Aug 7, 2008
Jamestown
Super Spectacular Boxscore Bingo: Official Thread

WOW!!!!! I would love to win that. But even if I don't, the fact that you're putting that up is incredible! I can't wait to see if someone wins.

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
Awesome looking forward to this. Will you PM us our bingo cards? Or just post them all for all to see?
Thanks for doing this and good luck everyone

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
Just to clarify, the grand prize will actually be given away if someone completes layer 9.

It is a large prize, but there are absolutely no strings, no fine print (other than the winner paying for shipping and insurance).

Best of luck to everyone.

WaxPax

Re: Super Spectacular Boxscore Bingo: Official Thread

Very generous of you, thanks for another great contest!!!!!!

Just to clarify, the grand prize will actually be given away if someone completes layer 9.

It is a large prize, but there are absolutely no strings, no fine print (other than the winner paying for shipping and insurance).

Best of luck to everyone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Freedom Card Board mobile app

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Hey Chris. I have a few questions that I want to make sure I know before this starts tomorrow.

On Layer 1, are the letters to be used as initials? Any player with those initials completing one of those feats?

Layer 2, Combined Score of 300+ is that adding up runs, hits, errors or is it they score that many runs over a period of time?

The rest I know, no problem. For some reason, I am just not sure on those 2 layers. :lol:

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
Hey Chris. I have a few questions that I want to make sure I know before this starts tomorrow.

On Layer 1, are the letters to be used as initials? Any player with those initials completing one of those feats?

Layer 2, Combined Score of 300+ is that adding up runs, hits, errors or is it they score that many runs over a period of time?

The rest I know, no problem. For some reason, I am just not sure on those 2 layers. :lol:

Thanks for the questions.

You are exactly right on how to score layer 1. Each space features 4 initials of a hitter or pitcher. If any one of those players gets 3+ hits or 8+ strikeouts in a single game, you can cross that space off.

For layer 2, you are adding up the pitching Game Score for each team in your space. Game Score is a formula created to evaluate a starting pitcher's dominance/efficiency during an outing.

Here is the link to the daily Game Score page, sorted from highest to lowest:

MLB Baseball Daily Pitching Leaders - Major League Baseball - ESPN

Simply find your 4 team's starting pitchers and add up their score. If the total meets or beats 300, you can cross the space off.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Thanks, Chris! I thought I was right about Layer 1. :lol:

Layer 2 is completely clear. I'm pretty sure we used those Game Scores in another bingo before. Your refresher reminds me. Thank you for clearing it all up for me!

Members online