Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Puig Inception Auto Conspiracy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mjbuchanan80

May 16, 2011
Kansas City
Someone brought up an interesting point on another forum that I have thought about a lot ever since I was thinking of pre-ordering Bowman Inception cases many months ago (When they could be had at $80 a box).

It was pretty interesting timing that just weeks before a slow selling product (Inception) was set to release, Topps announces autos for the hottest player in baseball. What if (TIN FOIL HAT TIME) Topps has no intention whatsoever of getting Puig to sign Inception cards? What if Topps needed a spark for Inception so they promised something they have no intention of ever delivering upon?

Many can argue that they have done this in the past, but because this was a product I was following closely, it has sparked some personal interest. Puig is pretty much the reason this product is selling like crazy. I think if somoene had the time to do some digging, the results would be rather enlightening.

rcspur

Mar 3, 2013
Puig was slated to be in this since April, Topps just didn't make it official til after his call up. There were uncut sheets posted since that time period with Puig clearly pictured. Don't believe everything you read.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
What maybe happening is Puig's agents are in the process of renegotiating a possible signing contract - meaning the price per autograph has increased from the start of the season, so it may take longer for stickers or actual cards to be signed.

Just my random guess.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I think this happens with a lot of products where the major selling points aren't actually in hand for Topps. But, are they doing it intentionally? Are they lying just to sell product with no intention to deliver? I don't think so. My guess is they actually try to include what they say they will. They just don't seem very motivated. And if it gets too hard to do, or just becomes unfeasible, then they call it quits and just replace whatever you were trying to redeem. My beef was with the new custom replacement cards. I feel those give topps an easy out for replacements. Which I feel might lead to them pulling the plug on trying to secure whatever item was originally intended for the product. Which isn't a good thing.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Puig is a rookie so his asking price per signature has to be a small fraction of what a retired star gets. Certainly Topps wants him in as many sets as possible but they have no incentive for him to not actually sign.

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
Puig is a rookie so his asking price per signature has to be a small fraction of what a retired star gets. Certainly Topps wants him in as many sets as possible but they have no incentive for him to not actually sign.

How big was his signing bonus again. It was $12 million on a 7 year/$42 million contract. That's probably 10x what everyone combined on this board will make in their lifetime. He became an instant millionaire overnight - I doubt Topps can even come close to offering the same kind of cash for something many players consider a nuisance. I agree with koal above - Bowman Deception. The way redemptions have been the past few years we have no way of knowing if it's legit or not. I tend to lean towards it's not but that's just the cynic in me.

Last edited:

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008

He'll be an expensive signature for sure...not Koufax/Aaron expensive, but no where near as cheap as the slew of grunts and rejects on the checklist.

My guess? He does a one or two signings for Topps, and therefore most of his autographs will be redemptions.

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
Ok maybe I lowballed it a little - I forgot we have some baby boomers here who actually worked when there was a good job market back in the day. :eek:

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Before puigmania hit, this was posted

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1372719099294.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1372719099294.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 114

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
Before puigmania hit, this was posted

Could they make the cards then decide who they want to sign? It would explain other unsigned bowman cards like Gattis

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
He'll be an expensive signature for sure...not Koufax/Aaron expensive, but no where near as cheap as the slew of grunts and rejects on the checklist.

My guess? He does a one or two signings for Topps, and therefore most of his autographs will be redemptions.

He may not come cheap, but one thing is for sure, the signed cards will sell for far more than the cost per sign, which is something you can't necessarily say for many of the HOFers who charge a ton. Topps desperately wants him in as many sets as possible.

Members online

Latest posts