Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Official Barry Bonds Collectors Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

weight333

May 28, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Hello,
With many player collector threads already avaiable on FCB, I figured there would already be a Home Run King, Barry Bonds thread established. I was wrong. So I created this one. I hope this will be a great place for Bonds collectors to share stories, info, pictures and anything else Bonds related.
Barry-Bonds.jpg

stricklcp

Jun 15, 2013
ATL
I love sharing this story......back in 1992 I batboy'd for a minor league team called the Carolina Mudcats (my hometown team). At that time they were class AA and affiliated with the Pittsburgh Pirates. I was lucky enough one day to get to work an exhibition game as the Pirates were on the way down to play the Atlanta Braves. I was super psyched at the least to get outta school early! At the ballpark I got to catch batting practice in the outfield and work the Pirate side dugout half the innings. Now Bonds only played about 3 innings that day but at some point later in the game I was asked to go back to the visitor clubhouse and grab some gum.....so I went (along with some cards of mine) and low and behold there was Bonds sitting with Jose Lind and Gary Redus. I interrupted as politely as I could and asked if he'd sign a card.....this was the moment I'll never forget......I handed him the card and a sharpie. He looked at the sharpie because I didn't take the top off. At that point he flicked the top of the sharpie across the clubhouse and signed my card without ever saying a word to me........and boy did that leave a bad taste in my mouth which has never really left. I still have that card (along with others - Jim Leyland, Jeff King, Bob Walk, and a few more) and to this day that batboy job was one of the best I ever had.

It is crazy how time flies........if I remember I'll have to post a pic of that card. Enjoy! ;)

weight333

May 28, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Thanks for sharing! Unfortunately I've heard stories where the outcome was worse (no sign). I've heard a share of good/bad experiences regarding him. I've been told he has been much more approachable post-retirement. I assume he's trying to present a bettter image for his HOF candidacy. I would like to meet him one day....thanks again!

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
As much as I disapprove of what he did in the end, the guy was a damn good hitter. I need to get an auto of his - purely for his notoriety.

If "in the end", you mean the second half of his career LOL, I completely agree. Even if he's not HOF worthy, he definitely made the game interesting.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
I just picked this one up.... Awesome card in person.

Aslo did this drawing for my wife who loved BB.

Last edited:

weight333

May 28, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Your wife has good taste mrdallas! haha. Those Precious Metals are staples of the 90s inserts. I just got the 97 BIN on ebay a couple weeks back. Very happy to have it in the collection!

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
That was a sweet pickup... I saw the completed auction after the fact and that was a great pickup . Very nice... And I think my wife has very good taste LOL

Your wife has good taste mrdallas! haha. Those Precious Metals are staples of the 90s inserts. I just got the 97 BIN on ebay a couple weeks back. Very happy to have it in the collection!

snakebit95

Nov 20, 2010
Montgomery, AL
It's great to see a Bonds thread started; even with so many negative feelings regarding the steroid scandal. I have been collecting Bonds since the mid-80's and have amassed quite the collection as well. Based on the email that was sent out, I can see that I have traded, bought or sold various Bonds cards with many of the members. I do not really have any firm collecting goals such as obtaining all of his cards; but rather just collect cards I like, and I enjoy the chase for parallels and inserts. I have always been a sucker for Pinnacle and Leaf mirror cards, so I guess I will start my postings with a few of my favorites:

I look forward to seeing this thread grow and seeing a lot of cards I do not yet have.

weight333

May 28, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
[MENTION=5463]snakebit95[/MENTION] thanks for joining! I love the rainbow. I believe that's the first time I've laid eyes on the Emerald? To /5 I believe? I hope to get some scans up over the extended weekend. I appreciate everyone's contributions so far!

Topps85401

Jul 2, 2013
Nice Bonds Cards!

I'm new on here. Any chance the Bonds auto and Hardball rellic cards are FT?

Members online

Latest posts