Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who is the home run king? Maris or Bonds?

Who holds the "True" Home Run Record?

• Barry Bonds

Votes: 57 62.0%
  • Roger Maris

Votes: 35 38.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wes

OG
Administrator
If you put Bonds in Ruth's day he would have hit 200 HR. The HR King, if defined by the player to hit the most HR's in a season, is Bonds - it's a simple fact. If you want to define it differently or say that Maris' or Ruth's achievement is greater, that's fine, but it would be inaccurate to say that they hold the record. The same goes for the revisionist history that is the 2012 NL Batting Crown.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
If you put Bonds in Ruth's day he would have hit 200 HR. The HR King, if defined by the player to hit the most HR's in a season, is Bonds - it's a simple fact. If you want to define it differently or say that Maris' or Ruth's achievement is greater, that's fine, but it would be inaccurate to say that they hold the record. The same goes for the revisionist history that is the 2012 NL Batting Crown.

Sure, LOL, Bonds wasn't able to hit 714 without the juice in today's era, and he surely would've been even further away from that mark with or without the juice in Ruth's era.

Knowing who holds the HR records doesn't matter too much as long as one understands how that record was achieved.

The 2012 batting crown makes things really weird though because its not consistent with other records and marks. Perhaps things will become more consistent in the future.

Last edited:

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Sure, LOL, Bonds wasn't able to hit 714 without the juice in today's era, and he surely would've been even further away from that mark with or without the juice in Ruth's era.

Knowing who holds the HR records doesn't matter too much as long as one understands how that record was achieved.

The 2012 batting crown makes things really weird though because its not consistent with other records and marks. Perhaps things will become more consistent in the future.

I think he means in a season, not overall (as that is the basis of the discussion here).

Will Style 13

Feb 9, 2012
York, PA
I don't like Barry Bonds, never did, never will. However he is the "official" record holder. No matter what oversized helmet he wore. No one put a stop to what was going on so it's an official records. To me putting a * beside his name is pointless.

U L Washington Rookie

Dec 7, 2012
D Town

Surely? Pitchers back in Ruth's time didn't go as close to 100% on most pitches, relative to today. Throw in current hitters facing more specialty RPs (not only are they specializing in getting batters of a certain type out, the make hitters get less of a read on their opponents) and many other changes to the game (such as travel and integration and expansion), and you come to a point where a reasonable person would doubt 'surely' applies to such a statement. An overload of variable changes, not all pushing in the same direction, make any such extrapolation quite iffy.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
Ah, I see what you meant with the 200 comment now, Wes. Bonds, if he could have worked through the death threats and bigotry, could have hit 80 HR's in Ruth's era. I'm a Bonds fan but a bigger Ruth fan... but... Bonds is the single season record holder for sure. I watched enough Giants games to know that Bonds was a HR hitting artist. IMO, he could have broken 61 (maybe even McGwire's 70) without steroids.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Isn't there a story about babe Ruth drinking bull *****? I only ask because if a dude will do that for a competitive edge he would take a needle in the ass or whatever else gives him an advantage.

Haha this literally made me spit out my jack and coke.

---
Looking for Albert Belle cards! PM me!

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
For argument's sake, how do they treat it in the olympics? If someone sets a record and is later guilty of using steroids, does the record stand? (Fine line here, I guess Bonds wasn't found guilty but he did admit to unknowingly using something, right?)

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
For argument's sake, how do they treat it in the olympics? If someone sets a record and is later guilty of using steroids, does the record stand? (Fine line here, I guess Bonds wasn't found guilty but he did admit to unknowingly using something, right?)
Nope, time and medal stripped away.