Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Class act players

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pirates2245

Jul 9, 2013
The other thread with players you dislike kinda brought this to mind. To me the reason I collect Jameson Taillon is cause he is a class act and a all around nice guy. I met him at a Greensboro Grasshoppers game when he played for the West Virginia Power in low level single A. The night before he pitched and I got a game ball from him after he covered a play at first base. The next night he was charting pitches is the seats beside me. We talked between innings and he signed the ball for me along with anything I brought of him. This has been the same way everytime I meet him! He talks everytime I go to a Altoona Curve game now and get something signed by him. He has the best attitude and personality of anyone athlete I have ever met.

Collecting Pirates and Jameson Taillon

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
DPrice, Pedro Alvarez, Sonny Gray, Tony Kemp and Conrad Gregor up in Tri Cities, Mark Appel (nice and conversational), Mike Yastrzemski, Justin Parr, Jeff Conine, Ryan Flaherty, Tyler Beede, Noah Syndergaard, Boog Powell, Cal Ripken

Obviously biased with some. But I occasionally get to games early to check out autographs and whatnot. I've only experienced two outright rude players (I'm okay with saying no, but not the antagonism some display. But then, I am not a fan of the type that ask for more than 2 autos, and that could tick off a player). The above mentioned guys have been great at the levels I've met them. Now, most were in the minors at the time, and at smaller venues (upstate NY)

brianga26

Aug 7, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Mike Minor, Danny Valencia, and Andy Oliver are the biggest jackasses I have ran into. Valencia ran to the bus b/c two people (not me) had asked him to sign a card. Oh and Jose Igleasis is a straight up a-hole walk through a group of 3 or 4 guys, and basically pushed them out of the way. I had never seen a player do that before until then.

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
Mike Minor, Danny Valencia, and Andy Oliver are the biggest jackasses I have ran into. Valencia ran to the bus b/c two people (not me) had asked him to sign a card. Oh and Jose Igleasis is a straight up a-hole walk through a group of 3 or 4 guys, and basically pushed them out of the way. I had never seen a player do that before until then.

Odd to hear that about Minor. He was incredibly accommodating every time I've seen him. Perhaps a little shy and reserved. Was this a him ignoring you situation?

Honestly, I've seen groups of guys try to block a player in to get an autograph. I have zero problem with the player pushing through them if they are trying to block him in.

brianga26

Aug 7, 2008
Atlanta, GA
No Minor was like that a AAA pretty much the whole time. He felt entitled. It was really bad. As for a player pushing through, I don't think it is an issue when some of these guys crowd them or just acts like jerks too.. But a few of them are incorrigible.

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
No Minor was like that a AAA pretty much the whole time. He felt entitled. It was really bad. As for a player pushing through, I don't think it is an issue when some of these guys crowd them or just acts like jerks too.. But a few of them are incorrigible.

That's weird to me. I knew him back in college, and he was always up for an autograph (but usually just one) every couple weeks. I did get the impression that he didn't like signing multiples for people he knew were selling them (believe it or not, some guys check on ebay, I've been told), and was pretty clear about saying so. He'd straight up ask some guys I knew to be autograph sellers 'didn't I already sign for you yesterday?'. I mean, he's plenty generous on twitter with giveaways and ttms, I've seen.

Not calling you a liar or anything, just doesn't jibe with my experience.

The only real mean spirited guys I've experienced are Xander Bogaerts and Vince Coleman. Coleman's history is well known.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
This thread sure got off track quick, I thought it was supposed to be about the good guys.

As far as my experiences, any guys who played in the 70s and early, before the big pay days, are some of the nicest guys ever. Of course, as with any rule, there are exceptions, but this threads not about them.

As far as current players, Jason Grilli was a super cool dude. And no others are popping into my head right now, but I know there are others.

brianga26

Aug 7, 2008
Atlanta, GA
That's weird to me. I knew him back in college, and he was always up for an autograph (but usually just one) every couple weeks. I did get the impression that he didn't like signing multiples for people he knew were selling them (believe it or not, some guys check on ebay, I've been told), and was pretty clear about saying so. He'd straight up ask some guys I knew to be autograph sellers 'didn't I already sign for you yesterday?'. I mean, he's plenty generous on twitter with giveaways and ttms, I've seen.

Not calling you a liar or anything, just doesn't jibe with my experience.

The only real mean spirited guys I've experienced are Xander Bogaerts and Vince Coleman. Coleman's history is well known.

Yea he was like that with several guys at Gwinnett. Its his choice though..

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
My one and only in-person experience with John Olerud reiterated with me what a class act he is. I already had an idea of what he was like based on his reputation as a quiet, religious, family-oriented guy. I was really impressed by how he conducted himself at a pre-game autograph session at a Jays game years ago. Pretty soft-spoken, he exchanged a few words with fans as he signed, and posed for pictures. Then after the game he hung around for almost an extra hour signing.

Just don't go blocking his view with no tree...
At Long Last, John Olerud Claims Victory Over The Tree In His Neighbor's Yard

Pirates2245

Jul 9, 2013
This thread sure got off track quick, I thought it was supposed to be about the good guys.

As far as my experiences, any guys who played in the 70s and early, before the big pay days, are some of the nicest guys ever. Of course, as with any rule, there are exceptions, but this threads not about them.

As far as current players, Jason Grilli was a super cool dude. And no others are popping into my head right now, but I know there are others.

Yea thats what I was thinking it went the wrong way fast...but your right Ive been trying to get whats left of the 1960 Pirates World Series team ttm and ip. They have been awesome some have wrote notes back to me thanking me and answered all kinds of questions. Its guys like them that makes this all so enjoyable for me!

Pirates2245

Jul 9, 2013
Heard Grilli was a great guy
Also, Brandon Wood, Brandon Maurer, and Taijuan Walker are all great

Grilli is a great person to meet...met him during the off season as well as Garrett Jones. Jones was in downtown Pittsburgh eatting with his wife when I met him. I had just bought some Jones cards for my PC and had them in the car. After he was done eatting and was paying I went up to him very nice like and asked if he could sign them for me if I went and grabbed them. His wife had a Sharpie out and ready when I got back. They talked for awhile and let me get a pic with Garrett. Its nice to be able to interact like that with your favorite players...

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
If this thread was started prior to 2002, everyone would have agreed on Kirby Puckett as the nicest guy ever.

Moral of the story: don't cheat on your mistress.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
It's hard not to judge based on personal experience, but the reality is that even the nicest of people will have times when their behavior seems rude, inconsiderate etc. It could be a rough day, a personal tragedy or a million other things, but as is true with all people you get to know, even the nicest people are not nice 100% of the time, but that does not make them a mean human being, it just makes them... a human being. Having a single negative experience with an athlete does not preclude them from being great guys. (Not saying they all are and by the same token even pretty crummy people are sometimes nice and decent.)

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
I got to spend a summer with Brandon Phillips and Cliff Lee and they were both great guys. As far as someone that I dont know on a personal level, Mariano Rivera is the first guy that comes to mind. To me he is pretty much the definition of class.

Members online

Latest posts