Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Does anyone have any info on a rare 1992 Fleer Prototype sheet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EtherealSOC

Dec 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hi all, at some point 3-5 years ago an item popped up on eBay that was truly unique. It was stated to be a prototype sheet used to select the card design for 1992 Fleer. It was complete with several different design prototypes and featured several players - Frank Thomas, Will Clark, and David Justice are the only ones I recall. If I remember correctly, there were even some handwritten remarks evaluating some of the designs. It was clear this was never supposed to leave the Fleer "vault" but I suppose it was leaked during the bankruptcy sales of the last few years.

I remember bidding a fairly low amount around $20, but it sold just over $100. In my infinite ignorance, I didn't save a picture of the item, and I haven't heard or seen it anywhere since. I assume it went into someone's private collection, but I would LOVE to get a scan of the Justice prototype for my collection. I have no idea why I didn't save the picture in the listing originally.

I know "rare" and "1992 Fleer" never seem to go together, but this was one very unique collectible. I'd be very pleased in anyone here knows anything about it.

Thanks,
-E-

EtherealSOC

Dec 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Anyone? I presume it fell into the hands of a private collector who won't be parting with it, but even an auction photo or scan would be a treat.

The sheet was never meant to be released to the public but it gave some rare insights into what 1992 Fleer could have looked like...

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
If Fleer had multiple designs to choose from, and this one was the winner, that must be one ugly sheet!

92FLEER.jpg

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Those canseco cards are XXXXing awesome!

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I also really liked the 1992 Fleer. My only quibble was that their green border was too bluish (or cyanish). Should've has a little more yellow to be a more definite green. But then the red letters would've been kind of garish. Anyway, they and Donruss both did huge upgrades that year. And Ultra was smoking.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I also really liked the 1992 Fleer. My only quibble was that their green border was too bluish (or cyanish). Should've has a little more yellow to be a more definite green. But then the red letters would've been kind of garish. Anyway, they and Donruss both did huge upgrades that year. And Ultra was smoking.

I loved 92 donruss.

jbrown

Nov 28, 2009
KY
I have seen the Purple border sample before. It's the only thing I ever find when i search for this auction. i think Fleer should have released at least some of its set in Purple...

Wow! Those Pucketts are awesome and sell for huge $$. Very nice.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
The Canseco "cards" shown sound an awful lot like what you were referring to. I say this because I was the one who won the presentation boards with those scanned items. It contained Thomas, Larkin, Clark and Canseco, each with 3 different designs. The seller was former Fleer executive Ted Taylor. He had some other cool stuff at the time that I won as well, including the 1995 Fleer Extra Bases prototype set.

Here is the only shot I seem to still have of all three boards in their original form. I bought them because i was collecting Thomas fairly seriously at the time and i don't remember what I paid for them, but decided to cut them down and sell the other three players, keeping Thomas for myself. I started each design of each player at $9.99 and let it go. Oddly enough, only Clark sold and all three versions were bid on and I believe all three topped $100+ each. The other 6 (3 each of Larkin and Canseco) didn't receive a single bid. I put them away after that and although I have had at least 1 Canseco collector ask about them (perhaps more), I have yet to crack them back out to try to sell them.

If this is not what you were talking about though, since there was no Justice for the Ultra items, them afraid can't help you any further.

EtherealSOC

Dec 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
The Canseco "cards" shown sound an awful lot like what you were referring to. I say this because I was the one who won the presentation boards with those scanned items. It contained Thomas, Larkin, Clark and Canseco, each with 3 different designs. The seller was former Fleer executive Ted Taylor. He had some other cool stuff at the time that I won as well, including the 1995 Fleer Extra Bases prototype set.

These are exactly what I'm looking for except for base 1992 Fleer instead of Ultra. My memory of them is vague, I didn't appreciate how rare they are and thought I'd see them again. All I recall is seeing Will Clark, David Justice and Ken Griffey Jr. though there were likely more players. There were at least three different prospective designs for 1992 Fleer and they were either on full sheets or as you said, presentation boards. The search continues...

Members online