Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Phil Hughes > CC Sabathia

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
When the Twins signed him for 3 years I was disapointed but now it looks like a great move. Hopefully it works out for the next 2 and half more years.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
He got out of Yankee Stadium and the A.L East. Flyball pitchers dont do well in those parks. He wouldnt be doing this well if he was still on the Yankees.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
He got out of Yankee Stadium and the A.L East. Flyball pitchers dont do well in those parks. He wouldnt be doing this well if he was still on the Yankees.

+1000. He always looked okay, but mistakes in Yankee Stadium are typically home runs because of the small stadium as well as the other East stadiums. He now gets to play in lots of BIG parks where the mistakes are just fly balls.

He also gets to play against the AL Central all the time (one of the weaker divisions IMO).

TGutta

May 30, 2010
Minnetonka, Minnesota
+1000. He always looked okay, but mistakes in Yankee Stadium are typically home runs because of the small stadium as well as the other East stadiums. He now gets to play in lots of BIG parks where the mistakes are just fly balls.

He also gets to play against the AL Central all the time (one of the weaker divisions IMO).

I think it has more to do with him being off of the Yankees rather than playing in the AL Central. And the argument could be made that the AL East is weaker than the AL Central this year, every team in the AL Central has a winning record against teams in the AL East. That includes the last place Twins taking 2 out of 3 on the road against the 1st place Blue Jays. Hughes stats against AL East opponents this year:

vs. BAL
1-0, 6.1 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 2.48 ERA

vs. BOS
0-0, 6 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 8 K, 1.50 ERA

vs. NYY
1-0, 8 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 BB, 6 K, 2.25 ERA

vs. TOR
1-1, 12 IP, 15 H, 4 R, 1 BB, 16 K, 3.00 ERA

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
I think it has more to do with him being off of the Yankees rather than playing in the AL Central. And the argument could be made that the AL East is weaker than the AL Central this year, every team in the AL Central has a winning record against teams in the AL East. That includes the last place Twins taking 2 out of 3 on the road against the 1st place Blue Jays. Hughes stats against AL East opponents this year:

vs. BAL

vs. BOS

vs. NYY

vs. TOR

I was going to say the same about the Central vs East this year. I think the Central is significantly better this season for whatever reason

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school

vs. BAL

vs. BOS

vs. NYY

vs. TOR

Where were those games played? If they were all played at twins stadium I would assume that helped his stats and didn't matter if it was the east. I would assume that by the end of the year his road stats in the east ball parks will be comparable to his normal career averages and his stats against everyone else will be much better.

Lower competition, bigger ballparks, less stressful market, etc. recipe for success for Hughes.

yrocks2001

Jan 24, 2011
Where were those games played? If they were all played at twins stadium I would assume that helped his stats and didn't matter if it was the east. I would assume that by the end of the year his road stats in the east ball parks will be comparable to his normal career averages and his stats against everyone else will be much better.

Lower competition, bigger ballparks, less stressful market, etc. recipe for success for Hughes.

The Yankees game was in NY and one of the Toronto games was in Toronto. The rest were at home. He has a 4.25 home era and a 2.03 away ERA on the year.

Members online