Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ian Kennedy to the Padres

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Padres To Acquire Ian Kennedy
By Tim Dierkes [July 31 at 1:10pm CST]
The Padres have bolstered their rotation for the present and future, acquiring righty Ian Kennedy from the division rival Diamondbacks for lefty reliever Joe Thatcher, Double-A reliever Matt Stites, and a compensation round B draft pick, according to a tweet from MLB.com's Corey Brock. It's a surprisingly light haul for Kennedy, a 28-year-old who is under team control through 2015 as an arbitration eligible player.

Drafted 21st overall by the Yankees in '06, Kennedy joined Arizona in the December 2009 three-team trade with the Yanks and Tigers.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Outstanding move by the Padres. Hopefully the sign JJ in the offseason.

padremurph

Aug 7, 2010
I like it. This past offseason showed how expensive mediocre pitching can be. Give me a guy w upside for some relievers which the Padres always have plenty of, and I'm in. Losing the pick kind if sucks but it's so hit and miss anyways.

Rotation should be good next year if healthy. Cash, Kennedy, Luebke, Kelly, wieland, Ross, etc.

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ
Only upsetting thing is it was a day too late and I had to endure another start from Kennedy yesterday.

Good guy, good player, hopefully he will rebound in SD. But it just wasn't working here. Happy with the return for someone who easily could have been DFA by the end of the week.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I admit, I haven't been following MLB as much this year with no cable, but Kennedy has fallen that hard?Wasn't he a Cy Young contender 2 years ago?Seems like Diamondbacks gave up on him awfully quick.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I admit, I haven't been following MLB as much this year with no cable, but Kennedy has fallen that hard?Wasn't he a Cy Young contender 2 years ago?Seems like Diamondbacks gave up on him awfully quick.
He won 21 games in 2011.
15 games in 2012.
This year he's 3-8 with a 5.23 era.

But he has a lifetime 2.27 era at Petco Park and is from Southern California, so he should do well.

I just don't understand why the Diamondbacks would trade a potential ace to a division rival.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
There is no bigger Taylor Swift fan on Earth than Matt Stites. That says nothing about baseball, but it's true.

Members online