Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Panini opens a box of Pinnacle - This saved me some money

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
I actually like the design of the inserts in this product. The museum collection looks good, the Clear Vision is reminiscent of 1997 E-X 2001 (perhaps my favorite "high end" base set of the 1990s), and the Slugfest, Naturals, and Aces all are well done. Sadly, the lack of an MLB license really hurts the product. Each of the aforementioned cards would look so much better with real MLB uniforms on the player photos.

theacox

Jan 19, 2013
I think the base cards are OK, but I don't like the Awaiting the Call inserts. Just odd looking.

I'm more scared off by the 2 autos they pulled though.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I'll hold off judgement until I see it broken in person, but it's obviously built around the inserts with autos secondary.

I assume that box will be typical, lots of nice looking cool inserts and a couple low level autos BUT at a very friendly and needed price point.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Reminds me of Donruss Zenith too. The base cards are pretty weak, but most of Panini's are. I'd like to know what the really high-end inserts are supposed to be.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Ugh. I was excited for this, but looking at everything now, busted, oh is it just visually unappealing w/out the MLB logos :(

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
This product doesnt look that bad, base cards sould have used an upgrade but they arent much different the the 90s product and the inserts are a throwback to the 90s also. The product lacks because of no logos.

Todd44

Nov 25, 2008
I actually think it looks pretty decent, and does a decent job of channeling some of the old Pinnacle releases. My only gripe (this comes from the player collector side of my brain) is with the Artist Proof parallels - PLEASE do more than just put a stamp on the card. There was one year of Pinnacle where they did the Dufex technology on the Artist Proof parallels with artist proof layered on top. Wasn't the best look, but at least it was somewhat different. If you're going to bring back Artist Proofs, do SOMETHING different. Make it borderless, or something. Just not a dumb stamp (and I guess I blame Topps First Day Issues for starting this...).

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
I actually think it looks pretty decent, and does a decent job of channeling some of the old Pinnacle releases. My only gripe (this comes from the player collector side of my brain) is with the Artist Proof parallels - PLEASE do more than just put a stamp on the card. There was one year of Pinnacle where they did the Dufex technology on the Artist Proof parallels with artist proof layered on top. Wasn't the best look, but at least it was somewhat different. If you're going to bring back Artist Proofs, do SOMETHING different. Make it borderless, or something. Just not a dumb stamp (and I guess I blame Topps First Day Issues for starting this...).
1996PinnacleStarburstArtistProof.jpg

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
If you want this product to have team names and logos, go get you some 1982 Fleer MLB stickers and put them on yourself.

View attachment 20376

I'll never understand the NEED for logos as long as it's done "well"

Now don't get me wrong, I totally understand how people wouldn't like the "cereal" cards from the 80s or the first cards issued by Panini showing guys in all white uniforms in a studio pose.

But the majority of cards Panini are issuing now do a great job of "hiding" the logos.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online