Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Charlie Manuel fired

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deaconblues63

Oct 25, 2012
I just heard a different report on the radio saying that Ryne Sandberg will be named manager.

Ashburn Alley

Aug 10, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I'm conflicted on this one. One half says let him finish the year. The team isn't going to make the playoffs regardless and you already have Sandberg on the team. The other half is saying that the Phillies aren't convinced that Sandberg is the guy and they want to use the rest of the year to see what he can do.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
I'm glad Ryno got the job, and hopefully the Phils will play decent enough ball that either they give him the gig full time or it sets him up for a job with a different team.

WaxPax

Yeah, like the phillies problems were Manuel's fault...

They love the guy in 08 & 09, now its his fault most of the team can't stay healthy.....I guess the GM is trying to keep his job, firing one of the most successfully managers in the teams history is the last desperate act of someone with one foot out the door....I guess all those 20M+ contracts aren't hurting the team right....

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Freedom Card Board mobile app

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
They love the guy in 08 & 09, now its his fault most of the team can't stay healthy.....I guess the GM is trying to keep his job, firing one of the most successfully managers in the teams history is the last desperate act of someone with one foot out the door....I guess all those 20M+ contracts aren't hurting the team right....
It can't be said any better than this.

deaconblues63

Oct 25, 2012
Ironic the the Problem fired the Scapegoat.

I would have to agree. The problem isn't that the team is poorly managed. The problem is that the team was poorly constructed. I would have liked to have seen someone that has contributed so much to that organization be allowed to finish out the season and leave under better terms.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I agree with the move, but not the timing.

IF you're not keeping Manuel past his contract ending, then either get rid of him a month ago or just let him stay on through the end of the season. Firing him now does no good. Not good for him and it leaves Sandberg in charge of a carcass of a team that could win 20 straight and still be 5+ games out of it.

He's got a signing scheduled at my Buddy's store tomorrow, it'll be intersting to see if it still happens...

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
should have kept manual through the weekend so Charlie could have had the embarrasment of being swept by the Dodgers instead of Ryne in his first series as Phils manager.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
should have kept manual through the weekend so Charlie could have had the embarrasment of being swept by the Dodgers instead of Ryne in his first series as Phils manager.

Plus, they're supposed to have a Ceremony tonite for winning his 1000th game, is that still gonna happen? :???:

They've got Grienke, Kershaw and Ryu to beat this weekend too, not likely...

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Yeah, the ceremony tonite was Cancelled.

But his agent confirmed he's still doing the signing at Granite Run Mall, pretty cool, if you ask me.

ALOT of folks woulda cancelled. Heck, he probably figures most of the fans are on his side of this choice anyway...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts