Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ichiro gets his 4,000th hit.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
NEW YORK -- Ichiro Suzuki joined Pete Rose and Ty Cobb as the only players with 4,000 career hits in the highest levels of professional baseball. Ichiro's accomplishment comes with a little bit of a twist because his are the combined total between Japan and the American major leagues.

On Wednesday, Ichiro's 4,000th hit occurred when he singled to left off Toronto Blue Jays starter R.A. Dickey in the first inning. The game was stopped as Ichiro received a standing ovation. Ichiro's teammates bounded out from the home dugout and met him at first base to give him hugs and high fives.

"It was supposed to be a night that was special to me," Ichiro said through a translator after going 1-for-4 in the Yankees' 4-2 win. "But you know what happened tonight, I wasn't expecting when my teammates came out to first base, that was very special. To see the fans, I wasn't expecting so much joy and happiness from them. That's what made it very special tonight. Not just the number, but all the things that happened with it. That came with it. It was very special."

In his seven seasons in the Japanese Pacific League, Ichiro collected 1,278 hits. During his 13 years in the United States, he now has 2,722 major league hits. He surpassed Lou Gehrig for sole possession of 59th place on the all-time major-league hit list.

Ichiro, who will turn 40 in October, has one more season remaining on his two-year, $13 million deal.

He realizes the debate over the worth of his 4,000 overall hits but knows if he reaches 3,000 in the States, there will be no discussion.

"I don't think anyone will say anything about 3,000 from any fan or media," Ichiro said through a translator before hitting No. 4,000.

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
Ichiro Won't NOT get 3000 MLB hits.

He Won't NOT be in the HoF.

Double Negatives at 8 AM yaaaaaay

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Since the Japanese season is shorter, it's conceivable that if Ichiro had started playing in America instead of Japan, he'd have well over 4,000 MLB hits and be close to or already have surpassed Pete Rose!

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
669 combined career total stolen bases too. I'd love to see him get to 3,000+ hits and 500+ stolen bases on American soil. He's most likely already a HOFer, but that would cement it with little to no discussion needed.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Personally, I don't care what his combined hit total is but I know I'm in a group of very few. I would love to see him get 3,000 in the MLB, so he can hang is hat on that over here. As some have said in other threads, spending much time looking at stats between leagues and in other places is a waste of time IMO. As someone on Mike and Mike said this morning, if we're going to do that, then do we start to look at stats from the Dominican? or South America? Just gets a little fuzzy... have to draw the line somewhere and I draw it with stats in the MLB and MLB only.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Some team will sign him beyond 2014. The chase to 3000 will be a market ploy and recoup the salary. I assume that many of his fans will want his jersey from his 3000 hit team.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
As some have said in other threads, spending much time looking at stats between leagues and in other places is a waste of time IMO. As someone on Mike and Mike said this morning, if we're going to do that, then do we start to look at stats from the Dominican? or South America? Just gets a little fuzzy... have to draw the line somewhere and I draw it with stats in the MLB and MLB only.
I don't understand why some people are getting upset or annoyed by it.
It's one unique player in the 150+ year history of baseball.
It's not an official stat, and no one's claiming it is.
No official organization is adding up the stats of other foreign players, so why does a line need to be drawn?
It's just an incredible and unique accomplishment, nothing more.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I don't understand why some people are getting upset or annoyed by it.
It's one unique player in the 150+ year history of baseball.
It's not an official stat, and no one's claiming it is.
No official organization is adding up the stats of other foreign players, so why does a line need to be drawn?
It's just an incredible and unique accomplishment, nothing more.

That's fine... I'm just saying I'm not as impressed as the majority of people... I don't see why I can't feel that way. I don't know off the top of my head without doing any research but I'm sure there are other players out there who would love to add their stats from pre-MLB days if they came from somewhere outside the USA... maybe I'm wrong.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
That's fine... I'm just saying I'm not as impressed as the majority of people... I don't see why I can't feel that way. I don't know off the top of my head without doing any research but I'm sure there are other players out there who would love to add their stats from pre-MLB days if they came from somewhere outside the USA... maybe I'm wrong.
That's cool and I respect your opinion.
Ichiro's mark is just a story because 4,000 hits is such a monumental number.

No other foreign player has had as incredible of a multi-country career (7 batting titles in Japan) that adds up to any massive stats, so that's why it's news.

No one cares about other players' Japanese or Cuban stats because they don't add up to a historical achievement like 4,000 hits, 700 homers or 300 wins.

Again, it's one player and a unique circumstance that may never happen again.
No one's saying it's an official stat.

Last edited:

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
That's cool and I respect your opinion.
Ichiro's mark is just a story because 4,000 hits is such a monumental number.

No other foreign player has had as incredible of a multi-country career (7 batting titles in Japan) that adds up to any massive stats, so that's why it's news.

No one cares about other players' Japanese or Cuban stats because they don't add up to a historical achievement like 4,000 hits, 700 homers or 300 wins.

Again, it's one player and a unique circumstance that may never happen again.
No one's saying it's an official stat.
I agree with this.

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
They showed on MLB Tonight that if we were to include Minor League hit totals as well as Major League (as some feel that the NPL is equivalent to our minor leagues at some level), there are still just 5 players to accumulate 4000 professional hits:

Pete Rose - 4683
Ty Cobb - 4357
Hank Aaron - 4136
Stan Musial - 4001
Ichiro – 4001 (and counting)

David K.

Aug 26, 2008
Fresno, CA
Congrats to Ichiro! I hope he continues to play for another year or two!! Best regards, David PS If team in us does not want him...he can always go back to Japan!

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
They showed on MLB Tonight that if we were to include Minor League hit totals as well as Major League (as some feel that the NPL is equivalent to our minor leagues at some level), there are still just 5 players to accumulate 4000 professional hits:

Pete Rose - 4683
Ty Cobb - 4357
Hank Aaron - 4136
Stan Musial - 4001
Ichiro – 4001 (and counting)

It's not just MLB, MiLB and NPBL, but;

Julio Franco compiled over 4,200 hits in his 26-year professional career:

• Major League Baseball: 2586
  • Minor Leagues: 618
  • Mexican League: 316
  • Japan's Nippon Professional Baseball: 286
  • Dominican Winter League: 267