Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mets break another pitcher: Matt Harvey edition.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WaxPax

puke_zps3158aba7.gif

Last edited:

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The Mets have had incredibly bad luck with formerly great pitchers.
Harvey only threw about 175 innings, so he wasn't overworked.
And he's 24 years old, big and strong.
It's not like he's a kid who needs to be babied and restricted.

But so was Mark Prior, and that didn't turn out well.

Tommy John surgery would put Harvey out for most or all of next season and he'll be about 26 when he returns.
Harvey's cards about to tank.

bcubs

Apr 8, 2009
Springfield, IL
The Mets have had incredibly bad luck with formerly great pitchers.
Harvey only threw about 175 innings, so he wasn't overworked.
And he's 24 years old, big and strong.
It's not like he's a kid who needs to be babied and restricted.

But so was Mark Prior, and that didn't turn out well.

Tommy John surgery would put Harvey out for most or all of next season and he'll be about 26 when he returns.
Harvey's cards about to tank.

I wish you could see NPB stats in general. I'll bet 50% of anything Harvey bought in the last week that hasn't been paid for ends up NPB.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Who else have we "broke", usually out track record with pitchers is pretty good I thought... The only one I could think of is the Pedro Feliciano scandal after the Yankees signed him, but he's back and pitching pretty well for us this year. Maybe my memory escapes me tho...

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Who else have we "broke", usually out track record with pitchers is pretty good I thought... The only one I could think of is the Pedro Feliciano scandal after the Yankees signed him, but he's back and pitching pretty well for us this year. Maybe my memory escapes me tho...

Going back a bit, we've got the "Generation K" era prospects Pulsipher, Isringhausen, and Wilson, who almost immediately turned into a pile of injured arms, ribs, etc. Then elite, highly decorated veterans Pedro Martinez and Johan Santana came on over to the Mets and pretty much watched their careers end from the DL. Also smaller name guys like John Maine and a non-pitching related issue (K-Rod).

I'm not saying that Harvey is done, but it did remind me of all this.

Last edited:

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Yeah I forgot about gen ks injury problems, I thought they were just a problem of overhyping. But can you blame the Mets for aging veterans in the twilights of their careers breaking down, ala Pedro and Johan?

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Yeah I forgot about gen ks injury problems, I thought they were just a problem of overhyping. But can you blame the Mets for aging veterans in the twilights of their careers breaking down, ala Pedro and Johan?
No, and you cannot blame them for Harvey either. Wasnt Strasberg babied his rookie year? Didnt he end up needing Tommy John? These things cannot be controled.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Strasburg, Wainwright, Nathan, Hudson, Feliz, Jordan Zimmerman, Bundy, plus another 116 current major league pitchers, and now Harvey...who's next?

Seems that all the guys getting TJ have or had the tendency to throw 95-100. When a guy doesn't consistently go over 92-94, I imagine his chances of blowing his elbow out drop significantly. I'd like to see a graph of average velocities of the guys who needed TJ vs those who haven't and who are currently still pitching in the Bigs.

I believe there are various "weaker" ways to grip the ball that strain the elbow significantly more than others, esp. for those throwing 95+, and could be one factor leading to the prevalence of this type of ligament tear in the elbow.

Sucks for Harvey and baseball fans everywhere. I wish him the best in his recovery.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
No, and you cannot blame them for Harvey either. Wasnt Strasberg babied his rookie year? Didnt he end up needing Tommy John? These things cannot be controled.

They're not getting slagged (like the Cubs did to Prior and Wood), and their coaching staff isn't known for torching pitchers.

I blame the uniform. That particular shade of blue and orange might be drawing in cosmic radiation in a bad way, leading to slow and subtle human disintegration.

Members online