Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Don't assume eBay insurance is cheaper than USPS insurance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
As people have sell on eBay know, eBay began offering there own insurance a little while back which they call ShipCover. When you want to print a shipping label now, it's the default insurance option.

The first couple of times the feature was offered (to me) the price was cheaper than USPS insurance. Recently though, this appears to have changed. Tonight for example I was looking to ship a package first class with $450 insurance. With ShipCover it was over $10. Regular USPS shipping was $9.09.

I imagine it may be easier to file a claim with eBay directly than the USPS (although I don't know for sure) and eBay's may offer something that USPS does not (again I don't know) but if people are assuming it is cheaper, I would highly recommend comparing the two prices.

tribefan26

Jul 7, 2010
One advantage of eBay insurance is that you don't have to go to the post office. I think you still have to check in a USPS insurance package at the counter.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I have always gone with USPS. Their insurance is battle tested and actually works...but more importantly, I was a little concerned by Ship Cover's TOS when I read through it when it first became available...it used some tricky wording that left some uncertainty as to which items it actually covers. No thanks to that.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
One advantage of eBay insurance is that you don't have to go to the post office. I think you still have to check in a USPS insurance package at the counter.

I'm talking about purchasing USPS insurance through eBay/Paypal when printing a shipping label. No need to go to the PO for that.

Latest posts