User Tag List

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you want to see on FCB to make it ...

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwynn545 View Post
    ...ever since @magicpapa "retired", we are struggling to find an identity. Let's blame him!!!

I look at it heavilly from a player / 80's-90's point of view, I know, and that us only part of this collecting "world", and the thing that drives me the most nuts is the drop-out rate of respected, knowledgable and productive members. Some of them leave because the crap that goes on here, some have life changes and sell, and some just quit collecting because they they grow up and get new hobbies. There are many people that post only ever so often anymore, it is hard ti get that community feel that BMB once had, or FCB once had. Don't get me wrong, there are some amazing newer members, too, but I am thinking about the "flow" of the community keeps changing, and it's just not what I expected after years and years... It's hard to blame anyone or anything when it's just life, I guess, and the state of the hobby OVERALL, (like putting bAseball players in basketball products!!)
    Man, when I think about alll of the great, great members who never, or hardly ever post anymore, it makes me sad.
    I don't have all the answers, but consistency is the key to any community, and keep people coming back. The Collector Spotlight would be a great start (which I offered to start-up and maintain but never even got a reply). It would take many consistant things like this, though, to build up the community...
    [MENTION=2477]Gwynn545[/MENTION], I'm Just Retired, Not Dead......... hehe

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmmm.

I'm really new here. I only joined recently (even though I knew the forum existed before that) because someone alerted me to a '98 Topps Tek break that was going on. I got back into collecting around 3 years ago and have mainly been on BO since then. I must be missing something, because the negativity and general jackassery that I've seen on BO in that time has been much greater than what I've seen on here, at least so far.

What I've seen here are welcoming people in the MT threads, a lot of other crazy super collectors, some cool group breaks that I will continue to participate in, and random other stuff. Yeah, it's true that there aren't as many new threads here daily as there are on BO, but there seems to be a deeper knowledge of older/oddball cards than there are over there. (It seems like there's so much emphasis on prospecting over there, which I really don't care about personally.)

I'm hoping I can contribute on here and make some trades with people to help out my Delgado collection. I love trading, and only take a break from it at times so that my one 'dining room' table isn't a complete mess of piles of cards to send out to people. Already went through my cards and pulled out everything A-Rod for someone on here, and will gladly do it for other players as well. I guess what I'm saying is that maybe it's not as bad as people think. Or maybe I'm just not seeing all the bad things XD.
    Carlos Delgado Supercollector - Always Looking (PM Me)
    Also collecting Kevin Plawecki and Braves

Mentioned
    273 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBaddestHic View Post
    Hmmmmm.

I'm really new here. I only joined recently (even though I knew the forum existed before that) because someone alerted me to a '98 Topps Tek break that was going on. I got back into collecting around 3 years ago and have mainly been on BO since then. I must be missing something, because the negativity and general jackassery that I've seen on BO in that time has been much greater than what I've seen on here, at least so far.

What I've seen here are welcoming people in the MT threads, a lot of other crazy super collectors, some cool group breaks that I will continue to participate in, and random other stuff. Yeah, it's true that there aren't as many new threads here daily as there are on BO, but there seems to be a deeper knowledge of older/oddball cards than there are over there. (It seems like there's so much emphasis on prospecting over there, which I really don't care about personally.)

I'm hoping I can contribute on here and make some trades with people to help out my Delgado collection. I love trading, and only take a break from it at times so that my one 'dining room' table isn't a complete mess of piles of cards to send out to people. Already went through my cards and pulled out everything A-Rod for someone on here, and will gladly do it for other players as well. I guess what I'm saying is that maybe it's not as bad as people think. Or maybe I'm just not seeing all the bad things XD.

And we're glad to have you here. What we are really working on, though, is getting more people like you to come see that we're not a bad place to be. The hard part of that is pulling that traffic here. We are trying to find content that really grabs new people so we are always open to anyone who wants to contribute. This site is fueled by members like you and everyone that really cares.

Anytime any member feels like they have a piece of content that will be a real grabber, I (and most any staff member) will support it 100%.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be happy to run a PSA sub based on their monthly specials. I'm not sure I could do it each month but if there is interest we could make it happen. I don't often post but I have some references such as [MENTION=1770]Jaypers[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1903]goldenegg1[/MENTION] who can vouch for me. Maybe that could generate some forum traffic.
    Last edited by bcubs; 09-08-2013 at 12:03 AM.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: What do you want to see on FCB to make it ...

Quote Originally Posted by bcubs View Post
    I would be happy to run a PSA sub based on their monthly specials. I'm not sure I could do it each month but if there is interest we could make it happen. I don't often post but I have some references such as Jaypers and Goldenegg1 who can vouch for me. Maybe that could generate some forum traffic.
    We need one!
    SCREW PHOTOBUCKET
    Jeff Cirillo Spread Sheet ||
    Hall of Unending Gratitude: dazed, magicpapa, uniquebaseballcards, and the vigilant eye of tonsofcommons

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As has been mentioned,

Condense the forums. There is no need for dozens of sub-forums.

Card Chat (ZERO need to break it down by sport)
    General Chat (ZERO need to break it dow)
    Buying Chat (ZERO need to break it down by sport)
    Selling Chat (ZERO need to break it down by sport)
    Trading Chat (ZERO need to break it down by sport)

Five Forums, thats plenty. Dont like a thread? DONT READ IT!

Also, the "time" of message boards is over. Sure they still exist, but times change. its 2008 anymore, thats almost 6 years ago now.
    What you collect is awesome, what i collect sucks.

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThoseBackPages View Post
    As has been mentioned,

Condense the forums. There is no need for dozens of sub-forums.

Card Chat (ZERO need to break it down by sport)
    General Chat (ZERO need to break it dow)
    Buying Chat (ZERO need to break it down by sport)
    Selling Chat (ZERO need to break it down by sport)
    Trading Chat (ZERO need to break it down by sport)

Five Forums, thats plenty. Dont like a thread? DONT READ IT!

Also, the "time" of message boards is over. Sure they still exist, but times change. its 2008 anymore, thats almost 6 years ago now.
    Card Chat (ZERO need to break it down by sport) AGREE!!
    General Chat (ZERO need to break it down) AGREE!!
    Buying Chat (ZERO need to break it down by sport) AGREE!!
    Selling Chat (ZERO need to break it down by sport) AGREE!!
    Trading Chat (ZERO need to break it down by sport) AGREE!!

**edit to ad: Get rid of the ridiculous "Manufacturers" thread, and the "Leaf Customer Service" thread... I know someone already pointed that out, too... at least throw them in at the bottom.

**edit again to add the sub forums, the date of the earliest POST of page 1, and approximately how many days it took to fill the first page:

General Chat, earliest post on pg. 1: 9-2-2013, time to fill up one page: 5 days
    Baseball, Today 4:49, 5 hours
    Baseball Box Breaks, 8-21-2013, 15 days
    All Sports Vintage Trading Cards Discussion, 12-11-2012, 270 days
    Football, 8-31-2013, 6 days
    Football Box Breaks, 7-24-2013, 42 days
    Basketball , 6-20-2013, 76 days
    Basketball Box Breaks, 5-20-2013, 106 days
    Hockey, 4-21-2013, 136 days
    Hockey Box Breaks, 8-24-2012, 350 days
    MISC/NASCAR/Nonsport, 2-21-2013, 196 days
    MMA, 2-6-2012, 570 days
    Group Grading Submission Forum, 10-17-2012, 320 days
    Through The Mail and In Person Autographs, 6-20-2013, 76 days
    Baseball - Transactions, 9-3-2013, 3 days
    Basketball - Transactions, 6-13-2013, 80 days
    Football - Transactions, 8-11-2013, 20 days
    Hockey - Transactions, 2-12-2013, 200 days
    eBay Spam , 7-25-2013, 41 days
    Miscellaneous, 11-26-2012, 280 days
    Trader - Info , 7-20-2012, 406 days
    Misc. / Non sports Transactions, 1-18-2013, 260 days
    MMA - Transactions, 6-30-2011, 786 days
    Event Tickets, 3-27-2011, 879 days
    Last edited by Gwynn545; 09-08-2013 at 01:39 AM.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read page one.

Not reading all five. Not necessary.

People take this stuff too serious. Who freaking cares man? It is an Internet message board. And people want to treat it like it actually matters. No. It doesn't matter. It doesn't matter to anybody the members here. We profit from it zero.

The one person it actually matters to is Chris Gilmore. The one funding it, and the one profiting from it. And his business partner.

He can run it as he sees fit. As he sees can make him money and support his family. Plain and simple. Nobody wants a 2006-ish BMB up in this XXXXX. I don't. You don't. Gilmore doesn't I am sure.

But to my original point, it's just a message board, don't take it too serious. Have fun. That's what it's here for.

Resident Yadier Molina, and Pro Wrestling super fan.

throwbacks2_the_future
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you want to see on FCB to make it ...

Think I might have seen something like this before on here, but what about a running online garage sale thread with misc items. I know it's a sports card forum but I think it would be pretty cool. Obviously nothing too big for shipping purposes but might be pretty interesting to see what junk everyone has laying around.

COLLECTING JEMILE WEEKS
    https://s42.beta.photobucket.com/

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree about consolodating forums, to a point.
    The vintage, TTM, baseball box breaks, etc. forums should all be merged into the baseball forums.
    I usually forget to look at the TTM and vintage forums, despite them both being huge parts of my collection.

But I'd rather keep the sports separate.
    I understand I can just not read the basketball and MMA threads, but I'd rather not wade through stuff I'm not interested in, especially during the offseason when baseball threads dwindle.

Most people on this board are baseball-only collectors (otherwise the football and other sports boards wouldn't be dead), so why make the baseball board cluttered with topics most members aren't interest in?

Just my opinions and I respect all of yours.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: What do you want to see on FCB to make it ...

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    I agree about consolodating forums, to a point.
    The vintage, TTM, baseball box breaks, etc. forums should all be merged into the baseball forums.
    I usually forget to look at the TTM and vintage forums, despite them both being huge parts of my collection.

But I'd rather keep the sports separate.
    I understand I can just not read the basketball and MMA threads, but I'd rather not wade through stuff I'm not interested in, especially during the offseason when baseball threads dwindle.

Most people on this board are baseball-only collectors (otherwise the football and other sports boards wouldn't be dead), so why make the baseball board cluttered with topics most members aren't interest in?

Just my opinions and I respect all of yours.
    I agree. I don't like the idea of merging the sports, as it'd be overly cluttered and all that much harder to keep track of topics.
    [MENTION=2443]Fandruw25[/MENTION] Do the Alexa ratings capture data for the mobile app users? Many, myself included, have migrated to the mobile app and use it almost exclusively.

"I was told I would never make it because I'm too short. Well, I'm still too short, but I've got 10 All-Star games, two World Series championships, and I'm a very happy and contented guy. It doesn't matter what your height is, it's what's in your heart." - Kirby Puckett

Featured Contributor
    Collector Showcase
     AmishDaveArcher
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If FCB were to put in, like in the trade forum, with the WTTF, Selling or WTB, in a non-baseball chat forum, using whatever sport is being discussed or in a box break forum.

I know that makes little sense, so I'll give an example;

MMA - GSP Retires
    Hockey - Ovechkin scores 6 goals
    Basketball - Jordan resigns as Bobcats GM
    Football - NC State escapes vs Richmond
    NASCAR - Truex in, Jeff Gordon & Ryan Newman out of 'The Chase'
    MMA - Eddie Sanchez defeats Wideman to win UFC Heavyweight Title

With that format, folks could easily identify a topic they either have interest in or one they would want to read and getting rid of the not-so-often used chat forums.

Just a thought.

The BEST Josh Johnson collection you'll ever see

JJ count: Total Cards: 2,443 Autographs = 886, 1/1's = 125, Patches = 228, Jerseys = 209, Buttons = 2 and MLB Logoman = 1

Also collecting: Dennis Northcutt, Titus Young, Bilal Powell, Josh McCown, T.J. Graham, Gino Guidugli, A.J. Vanegas, Tony Zych, Philip Pfeiffer & Mike Sims-Walker.

Trade list linkage

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to only come to FCB however I now find myself going to blowout more. One of the main reasons is the transaction board. The transaction board here is dead. Maybe one to two new threads a day w some random stuff? Another is the group breaks. I've had nothing but great experiences w Andrew but he usually only offers team breaks that start around $60, that's usually more than I want to spend on a break. Blowout has a wide variety of breaks, 10 case player drafts, etc. or single case player drafts.

There's also just a lack of new material. Seems like every thread is bashing Topps (deserved) or complaining about Leaf. I would be more interested in talking about player performance and how it relates to cards. That's why I love the daily milb thread. We need new things to talk about and performances change daily. Maybe we could start a rookies in the majors thread and track their performances and how it relates to card prices?

Featured Contributor
    Vintage Corner

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by padremurph View Post
    I used to only come to FCB however I now find myself going to blowout more. One of the main reasons is the transaction board. The transaction board here is dead. Maybe one to two new threads a day w some random stuff? Another is the group breaks. I've had nothing but great experiences w Andrew but he usually only offers team breaks that start around $60, that's usually more than I want to spend on a break. Blowout has a wide variety of breaks, 10 case player drafts, etc. or single case player drafts.

There's also just a lack of new material. Seems like every thread is bashing Topps (deserved) or complaining about Leaf. I would be more interested in talking about player performance and how it relates to cards. That's why I love the daily milb thread. We need new things to talk about and performances change daily. Maybe we could start a rookies in the majors thread and track their performances and how it relates to card prices?
    Good idea about the rookies in the majors thread. Any thoughts on maybe you starting it? (Please dont take that as a sarcastic comment as it is not meant to be). I know I would read this type of posting.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mchenrycards View Post
    Good idea about the rookies in the majors thread. Any thoughts on maybe you starting it? (Please dont take that as a sarcastic comment as it is not meant to be). I know I would read this type of posting.
    Sure, ill start tomorrow. I think it could be a good thing.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast