Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Double Dipping on Kershaw

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Just a few weeks ago, Clayton Kershaw was the the talk of the town. There was discussion about him locking up the Cy Young and possibly winning MVP as well. Card prices for his key rookie cards saw 60%+ jumps and analysts were making Koufax comparisons any time they could.

Fast forward a few weeks and he's gone 1-2 in his last 4 starts, and he gave up 5 runs in the game he won. Card prices in most cases have dropped dramatically from their peaks, and a base Chrome Auto just went for around $90, basically where it was earlier this season.

But while he has not been incredible the fast few games, the negative response is likely a dramatic over-reaction. In those 4 games Kershaw gave up more than 2 runs only once, and while he may no longer be a favorite to win the MVP (although no one really stands out in the NL) he still has an ERA under 2, should win his 2nd Cy Young in 3 seasons, and is the ace on the hottest team in baseball over the last few months heading into the playoffs.

For those who missed their chance a month or two ago, the drop in prices may be the perfect time to buy in. A couple of solid starts the rest of the way and a big performance in September and prices could easily rebound.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I agree, although I don't invest or care about card prices.
Kershaw will most likely still win the Cy Young, but that won't be enough to spark prices much higher.
What he needs to do is dominate in the Playoffs and World Series. Then his rookie card prices will go through the roof.

Many fans and collectors just care about the sexy numbers, especially wins in pitchers. It's why Felix Hernandez's prices have remained stagnant for years, even with a Cy Young award.

But some national exposure in the World Series would show fans everywhere what an incredible talent Kershaw is, and why he's the best pitcher in baseball.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
I was out of commission with the Jewish holidays going on, but did anyone take advantage and pick up some of his stuff? Last base Chrome got close to $200 (as did the last PSA). Finished the season with an ERA under 2 and with the Playoffs coming and the Cy Young a lock, should be fun times.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
Wins are overrated but more 20 win seasons would help - guy is kind of visible through the charities and community programs he and his wife participate in but isn't really a guy craving the media attention.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
What he needs to do is dominate in the Playoffs and World Series. Then his rookie card prices will go through the roof.

I hope that the Dodger dominate and win the World Series.

That way I can complain about them buying a World Series.

WaxPax

While I think Kershaw is a Lock for the NL CY, his 16 wins is probably not enough to sway the MVP votes from everyday players Like McCutchen, Carpenter and Goldschmidt. For a pitcher with less than 20 wins ( yes, I know wins can be overrated, but this is for an MVP not CY) I just don't see it happening.......

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
While I think Kershaw is a Lock for the NL CY, his 16 wins is probably not enough to sway the MVP votes from everyday players Like McCutchen, Carpenter and Goldschmidt. For a pitcher with less than 20 wins ( yes, I know wins can be overrated, but this is for an MVP not CY) I just don't see it happening.......

Despite the really weak field I'm prone to agree with this. With the Pirates making the Playoffs along with the way he's played (and how popular he is) I think Mccutchen should win the MVP pretty easily unless voters reward Kershaw for the sub-2 ERA.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
While Koufax is still alive, he'll be "The Man" when it comes to LA Dodgers, especially when it comes to pitchers

Still a great time to buy his '55 Topps in PSA 8 or above

Members online