User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'll be Topps & Panini for a sec regarding redemptions

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll be Topps & Panini for a sec regarding redemptions

Before I go on, I'm NOT siding with Topps or any other company when it comes to redemptions.

But for a moment, I'm donning a Topps and panini ceo hat.

Tell me why I'm wrong.

Hi, I'm the CEO of Topps and six months ago we paid prospect x $8k to sign 2000 bowman chrome cards.

Now it's time to package the product and he hasn't returned the cards so what are we, as a business supposed to do?

If we don't use redemptions, that means we will have to produce 2000 less boxes.

And as a business, that's not going to happen.

And that's just ONE guy. Multiple that by a few and suddenly there's 6000 less boxes or approx $300,000 lost.

Here, take my Topps CEO hat and tell me what you would do.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a business you are NOT suppose to advertise and pre-sell merchandise that you do not have in hand.

/end thread

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by matfanofold View Post
    As a business you are NOT suppose to advertise and pre-sell merchandise that you do not have in hand.

/end thread
    This.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plus, avoiding sending out Redemptions in the live product will save you the cost of a whole dept. (or at least greatly reduce it) needed to: follow up on/handle CS/get cards back/ship/deal with hassle, all that stuff.

And they wouldn't have to make more or less product. Just put the odds on there with a certain % of the autos not expected to be there and IF you get more back than expected, then you add some value to the box and collectors beat the odds, pleasing them.

As for the "unused" auto cards, IF you get them back, Topps Online or Vault would work easily I'm sure...
    Don't forget to use the FCB Link when buying on eBay!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, I was told by a Topps rep that they inserted redemptions into a product after only having sent (sent!) requests to the player's rep for autographs.

It's one thing if you have to put in redemption cards because a player that has signed a contract has not yet returned his cards. It's another altogether if you put them in after only having sent a request for them to the player's rep.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BBCgalaxee View Post
    Assuming the player is inked to a contract (not just asked), replace the redemptions of that athlete with stickers of an athlete that are already in-house or create relics of that athlete to insert in place of autos since you'd think getting a jersey top or pants to cut up should be more doable in a pinch than getting the athlete to sign autos on time.

The athlete who hasn't fulfilled their auto contract can go in a near future product when the stickers come in (and use the base and parallels of that athlete to drive product in lieu of autos).

anthonyrdevine
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear Athlete,
    Thanks for agreeing to sign all these cards for $8,000. We will send you that $8,000 check upon our receipt of these cards, signed by you, by the date of xx/xx/20xx. We look forward to adding your autographed cards to our products after that date.

Sincerely,
    Topps CEO

Quote Originally Posted by BBCgalaxee View Post
    Before I go on, I'm NOT siding with Topps or any other company when it comes to redemptions.

But for a moment, I'm donning a Topps and panini ceo hat.

Tell me why I'm wrong.

Hi, I'm the CEO of Topps and six months ago we paid prospect x $8k to sign 2000 bowman chrome cards.

Now it's time to package the product and he hasn't returned the cards so what are we, as a business supposed to do?

If we don't use redemptions, that means we will have to produce 2000 less boxes.

And as a business, that's not going to happen.

And that's just ONE guy. Multiple that by a few and suddenly there's 6000 less boxes or approx $300,000 lost.

Collecting in-person, ttm and PSA/DNA autographed rookie cards.

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree to most of this ,

1) Don't advertise what u don't have where possible
    2) NEVER advertise or use redemptions for people you don't even have contracts with
    3) More or less dint need to be made, just adjust ratios based on the cut off date when u start presales
    4) Don't pay before job is done
    5) Use all signed cards that came in after product is released in future products somehow as an update to the set
    6) Anything they get in after presales start but before packaging can be used to drive sales further w promotions

I'd say sure the companies get frustrated w those under contract that don't do their side if the deal on time, but some of it is smoke n mirrors with people that aren't under any contract yet getting promoted as being in the product

Ryan
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ODDBALL, REGIONAL, TEAM ISSUED, VARIATIONS, AND TOUGH CARDS OF WILL CLARK AND MIKE BROWN

10dogauctions
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the cards sent back late should be used in the next years set as a ''recollection'' or ''buyback'' auto... the players who never return at all should never be asked to sign again

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear Topps: If you insert redemptions for an on-card auto in 2010, DO NOT put out on-card autos of the same person in 2013 LIVE before fulfilling what you owe.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i thought Topps said they witness every signing in person?
    I collect Ken Griffey Jr, Ryan Howard, Steve Carlton and the rest of the Phillies.
    My Site:
    https://bradswebsite.synthasite.com/

Matthew 21:22
    "And all things, whatsoever you shall ask in prayer, believing, you shall recieve."

tigerstrength01
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: I'll be Topps & Panini for a sec regarding redemptions

Quote Originally Posted by bongo870 View Post
    i thought Topps said they witness every signing in person?
    Yes and panini mails off stickers that players can let others sign or robosign them

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agents will never go for the hard return deadline...

So if we don't package the redemptions, we end up with 500 signed cards of a guy with no product to insert them in..

Plus, we have to presell the products to allow distributors time to solicit stores prior to release...
    Do you really want no draft products till 2014? BG
    Check us out at www.leaftradingcards.com

katieneack
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's one:

Don't auto-replace 7 Barry Larkin Auto's that I spent over $700 on with 7 crappy autos of players I don't care about, that I can't sell for more than $10 a piece. If you have to have redemptions and sometimes you can't come through on them, at least make an attempt to give the customer sonmething equivalent.
    Barry Larkin Collector!!
    Always Looking to Buy any Barry Larkins I don't have

Currently Have: 2,698/3,558 Beckett Listings (75.8%)
    Without 1/1's: 2,679/3,196 Beckett Listing (83.8%)

My Larkin Photobuckets:
    Autographed Cards: https://s1099.photobucket.com/user/calvinpr1/tags (Autographed Tab)
    Serial #'d Cards: https://s1099.photobucket.com/user/calvinpr1/tags (Serial#'d Tab)
    Game Used: https://s1099.photobucket.com/user/calvinpr1/tags (GameUsed Tab)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaf View Post
    Agents will never go for the hard return deadline...

So if we don't package the redemptions, we end up with 500 signed cards of a guy with no product to insert them in..

Plus, we have to presell the products to allow distributors time to solicit stores prior to release...
    Do you really want no draft products till 2014? BG
    For once I agree with him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast