Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Just passed 2,000 different cards for a player collection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
My collecting pursuits have trailed off dramatically the last few years. Work has become more intense (I love what I do so it's not so bad) and I don't have as much time/resources to devote to collecting. I continue to add cards to my player collections (see signature) as I see something cool.

Darin Erstad #2000!

Today I realized that I've passed the 2000 mark for different Darin Erstad cards. 2,037 to be exact. I have other "non checklist" cards so that number is certainly higher. That puts me at a completion percentage of about 87%. When he was in his prime (haha, a short few years) his cards were almost outside of my budget so I missed out on a lot of tough cards from 1999-2004.

A few highlights from my Darin Erstad collection...

Cards
1996 Zenith Diamond cards, have 3
1998 Bowman Chrome Golden Anniversary refractor 1/5
1998 Score 1/1
2001 eTopps 1/1 from Econ 4.0
2003 Sweet Spot Barrels (1/4, 2/4, 3/4)
Lots of great prime patches, laundry tags etc.
Extensive run of embossed and stamped show cards from Donruss and Pacific.
Only missing 1 of the 2005 Throwback Threads Polo Grounds cards.

Game Used
1996 California Angels Road blue #1 autographed
1996 California Angels Road blue #27
2003 Angels Home white
2006 Rancho Cucamonga Quakes Home white
2006 Rancho Cucamonga Quakes Road grey
2007 White Sox alternate green logo/pinstripe (full uniform)
2008 Astros Home red
2008 Astros Home Coolbase red
2009 Astros Road grey

1994 Cape Cod League game bat
1997 Anaheim Angels "Darren" Erstad
1997 Anaheim Angels signed (from his family)
1997-98 Anaheim Angels signed (from Jesse Barfield)
2008 Houston Astros
20?? Hoosier black have 4 of them, 1 signed
???? Signed C271

2008 Astros batting gloves. Photo match with his 2008 Topps card
2008 Astros batting helmet

2007 OMLB batting practice home run ball he hit that I caught at Wrigley Field.

Thanks for looking. I'm hoping to continue knocking out 1/1 and cards from my want list. It's getting tougher these days... no new cards and his stuff from later years isn't worth much. Ebay is thin.

Josh

heavy_hitter

Jun 26, 2009
Congrats. Here is my best Erstad:

05_erstad_1of1.png

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Hawk8 - Thanks! I can be glad he's not in a zillion sets like Dawson is now that he's a HOFer.

MansGame - Appreciate it. It's hard not losing interest when I find maybe a single card each month. You're probably there with Belle.

Astroburn - Thank you. That refractor is a beauty! Love those. I have 2-3 Murray's.

Heavy_hitter - NICE! Available?

Congrats. Here is my best Erstad:

05_erstad_1of1.png

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Hawk8 - Thanks! I can be glad he's not in a zillion sets like Dawson is now that he's a HOFer.

MansGame - Appreciate it. It's hard not losing interest when I find maybe a single card each month. You're probably there with Belle.

Astroburn - Thank you. That refractor is a beauty! Love those. I have 2-3 Murray's.

I love Dawson being in a zillion set lol! Not too good for my wallet though. What I really don't like is all the 1/1s I will never own. When I was growing up I had a goal to own every different Dawson card there was and that will never be a possibility with today's market but it doesn't stop me lol. I think your milestone is even more impressive with the amount sets you have to collect from. Congrats again.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
I love Dawson being in a zillion set lol! Not too good for my wallet though. What I really don't like is all the 1/1s I will never own. When I was growing up I had a goal to own every different Dawson card there was and that will never be a possibility with today's market but it doesn't stop me lol. I think your milestone is even more impressive with the amount sets you have to collect from. Congrats again.

I can identify with that (Eddie Murray and to a lesser degree with Will Clark). Are there other Dawson guys you network with?

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
I can identify with that (Eddie Murray and to a lesser degree with Will Clark). Are there other Dawson guys you network with?

Before a couple months ago I didn't even know another Dawson collector, but since I was introduced to this board I have met some other awesome Dawson collectors and some great non Dawson collectors who have helped me out with my collection. This board and its members are truly amazing.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX

Yea dude haha - I'm busy acquiring new Belles all the time. I'm trying to get to 90% and then I can slow down haha

---
Looking for Albert Belle cards! PM me!

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Nice work!

I doubt I'll ever reach that milestone with my Olerud collection. At the moment there are 1950 known cards of his on my master checklist, and there may be more cards I don't know about to push that total over 2k. Many I still need are tough patches, 1/1's, etc that are way out of my budget and/or already in the PC of [MENTION=1985]olerudfan[/MENTION] :)

My personal goal is to reach 85%.

- Rodrick

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
Great stuff! I love the PC's that are guys like Erstad. The big collections of premier names Junior, McGwire, Juan Gone, etc. are undeniably cool, but my favorites are the ones of guys that didn't get that spotlight. Well done and congrats an an excellent collection.

(And I hope that logoman eventually makes its way to you...)

gojacks63

Jan 23, 2013
Wow! That is a great feat! Erstad was a great player to watch in his few years with the Astros.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Mansgame - Wish I had some for you. I unloaded all my trade stuff. I do keep an eye out at shows for you.

Will Style 13 - Thanks. How far along are you in your collections?

RStadlerASU22 - Thanks Ryan. I have a few GU pieces for each of the other guys I collect but not as much as Erstad.

olerud363 - Keep at it. Olerud was a favorite of mine. How far along are you for different items?

VizquelCollector.com - Right back at you! Wish I had more time to visit shows. I do keep an eye out for Vizquel stuff for you. My other player collections are pretty nice as well. Me too on the Logoman card.

nosterbor - Thanks!

gojacks63 - I never did get to see him in person when he played for the Astros.

cstmleather - If he had only been able to stay healthy longer...

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Mansgame - Wish I had some for you. I unloaded all my trade stuff. I do keep an eye out at shows for you.

Will Style 13 - Thanks. How far along are you in your collections?

RStadlerASU22 - Thanks Ryan. I have a few GU pieces for each of the other guys I collect but not as much as Erstad.

olerud363 - Keep at it. Olerud was a favorite of mine. How far along are you for different items?

VizquelCollector.com - Right back at you! Wish I had more time to visit shows. I do keep an eye out for Vizquel stuff for you. My other player collections are pretty nice as well. Me too on the Logoman card.

nosterbor - Thanks!

gojacks63 - I never did get to see him in person when he played for the Astros.

cstmleather - If he had only been able to stay healthy longer...

Appreciate you looking out for me!

---
Looking for Albert Belle cards! PM me!

Members online