Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ryne Sandberg named "full-time" Phillies manager!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
This has been scheduled for the past 3 years.

1174974_10202243281986473_1156494550_n.jpg

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
not much of a phils fan, but am a sandberg fan and I'm glad they are giving him the opportunity, despite a 17-16 record under his "interim" tag. Being manager now, he will have more say in how things are run in philly starting in 2014 and that could translate to success.

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
Ryno should be managing in Wrigley.:(

Did they pass him over for an interview a year or two ago, or was it that they interviewed him but didn't hire him?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Ryno should be managing in Wrigley.:(

Can you imagine the pressure of that job if he Managed the Cubs? I would rather have him start elsewhere and experience some success before coming to Chicago to fail like every other manager has done for the last 100 years.

Seriously though, nobody wants to see legends fail and as was once said..managers are hired to be fired. The pressure to have his team perform well would have been magnified many times if Ryno had been offered the Cubs job. Whoever made the decision was doing him a favor not to hire him as the Cub's manager especially knowing the rebuilding that was needed these last few years.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
Can you imagine the pressure of that job if he Managed the Cubs? I would rather have him start elsewhere and experience some success before coming to Chicago to fail like every other manager has done for the last 100 years.

Seriously though, nobody wants to see legends fail and as was once said..managers are hired to be fired. The pressure to have his team perform well would have been magnified many times if Ryno had been offered the Cubs job. Whoever made the decision was doing him a favor not to hire him as the Cub's manager especially knowing the rebuilding that was needed these last few years.

I did forgot he had a cup-of-coffee with the Phils as a player before being traded. I thought he played entire career with the Cubs. He'll still have significant pressure in Philly. It does suck that managers are hired to be fired but that's the nature of the beast.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
I did forgot he had a cup-of-coffee with the Phils as a player before being traded. I thought he played entire career with the Cubs. He'll still have significant pressure in Philly. It does suck that managers are hired to be fired but that's the nature of the beast.

He didnt make his name in Philly so I really do believe the pressure will be less than if he managed in Chicago. With that being said, Philadelphia fans can be some of the most critical fans in the game. Good luck Ryno!! I think he is going to need it.

Birddog01

Sep 1, 2013
+1 - an emphatic +1. My all time favorite player in a Philly's uni. It seems like the earth should melt or something.

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
+1 - an emphatic +1. My all time favorite player in a Philly's uni. It seems like the earth should melt or something.
Greatest Spartanburg Phillies player ever, even ahead of Mike Lieberthal and Scott Rolen

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Last edited:

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I thought Schmidt was getting in line to manage. Just Googled and I guess that was a long time ago, and didn't go very far. Congratualtions to Ryne, and the Phillies. I'm glad they've got a guy in charge with experience taking teams to the Series. Erm....

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
I thought Schmidt was getting in line to manage. Just Googled and I guess that was a long time ago, and didn't go very far. Congratualtions to Ryne, and the Phillies. I'm glad they've got a guy in charge with experience taking teams to the Series. Erm....

He managed in high A Clearwater in 2005 or so. He didn't like it. And he started in Clearwater as that was close to where he lives.

Members online

Latest posts