Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Quest Complete 13 Years later - 2000 Greats of the Game autograph set

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
Here is the last card I needed for my set. I need to go through my bucket account to ensure I have all of them scanned. I think there are a couple where I used crummy pictures from the auction so I need to update those old pictures. Without further delay... last card...

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
Awesome! I finished mine about 2-3 months ago as well! I assume based on the card you're showing that you have the Moments cards as well?

Congrats!

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Awesome accomplishment.
One of my all-time favorite sets.

But I have one concern about the Guidry.
It looks like the inscription is signed by someone else.
The ink is different and so is the handwriting, including the slant.
It looks like the inscription was added after by someone else.

But the biggest reason it's most likely not authentic, is the Guidry '78 Cy Young inscription card is part of the 4-card Memorable Moments parallel, which have a purple border.
The parallels also include Ryan, Score and Seaver, all of which you have with the correct purple borders.

Even if Guidry signed the regular card with an inscription by accident, that doesn't explain the different ink and different handwriting.

Sorry for the negative post, but since it's the final card to complete your set, I thought you'd rather know of the possible forged inscription and how you instead need the correct purple-bordered card, like your Ryan, Seaver and Score cards.

Last edited:

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
Awesome accomplishment.
One of my all-time favorite sets.

But I have one concern about the Guidry.
It looks like the inscription is signed by someone else.
The ink is different and so is the handwriting, including the slant.
It looks like the inscription was added after by someone else.

But the biggest reason it's most likely not authentic, is the Guidry '78 Cy Young inscription card is part of the 4-card Memorable Moments parallel, which have a purple border.
The parallels also include Ryan, Score and Seaver, all of which you have with the correct purple borders.

Even if Guidry signed the regular card with an inscription by accident, that doesn't explain the different ink and different handwriting.

Sorry for the negative post, but since it's the final card to complete your set, I thought you'd rather know of the possible forged inscription and how you instead need the correct purple-bordered card, like your Ryan, Seaver and Score cards.
You hit on some good points. The reason this is the last card that I needed is based on your observation that the handwriting is different. The loop on the "Y"'s are a dead giveaway. I've been passing on copies this card for years, hoping to find one that looked like the handwriting matched. They simply don't exist. The Guidry card exists in three variations. Base Gold, Gold with Inscription, and Purple Memorable Moments with inscription. I have all three variations. The three variations also exist for Herb Score.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
Awesome! I finished mine about 2-3 months ago as well! I assume based on the card you're showing that you have the Moments cards as well?

Congrats!
Yes I did collect the Moments set as well. I'm one card away from finishing the 2001 set with all variations. I still need the 2001 Willie Mays card. It rarely shows up and costs quite a bit. If I can ever find a copy of the Stargell redemption card I'll pick that up as well so I guess technically, I'm two cards away from finishing that set. I've contemplated starting the 2002 set if I can find a good starter set at a reasonable price. I also finished the 2004 set, series one and two.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
You hit on some good points. The reason this is the last card that I needed is based on your observation that the handwriting is different. The loop on the "Y"'s are a dead giveaway. I've been passing on copies this card for years, hoping to find one that looked like the handwriting matched. They simply don't exist.
Wow, that's interesting.
I guess Guidry forgot to write the inscriptions himself, so someone at Fleer wrote them in so the set would be complete.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
Yes I did collect the Moments set as well. I'm one card away from finishing the 2001 set with all variations. I still need the 2001 Willie Mays card. It rarely shows up and costs quite a bit. If I can ever find a copy of the Stargell redemption card I'll pick that up as well so I guess technically, I'm two cards away from finishing that set. I've contemplated starting the 2002 set if I can find a good starter set at a reasonable price. I also finished the 2004 set, series one and two.

Congrats Tom- great fun to knock off a set like this. Good luck with the Mays and Stargell from 2001. Wonder if you would mind sharing what you have for the variations from the 2001 set. I have the Perry redemption and Blair dual signed (along with the Stargell redemption) but were there other redemptions? Thanks :p (We may have had this conversation some years ago ;) )

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
The jeter must have set you back. Thats a huge card
Yep, When the Jeter was released as a redemption replacement years later, they were going for about $80 and I refused to buy one because it was not part of the set when Fleer released this product. Generally speaking it started to become more and more accepted as part of the set so I caved and finally bit the bullet and bought one. Most copies are in personal collections so it does not come available often. I sold some other stuff and got a bonus at work so I splurged... $756.50 plus $3.50 shipping. OUCH!!!

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
Congrats Tom- great fun to knock off a set like this. Good luck with the Mays and Stargell from 2001. Wonder if you would mind sharing what you have for the variations from the 2001 set. I have the Perry redemption and Blair dual signed (along with the Stargell redemption) but were there other redemptions? Thanks :p (We may have had this conversation some years ago ;) )

MM, Yes we have conversed on this set in the past. You pointed out that I was missing the Larry Doby autograph so I promptly snapped up a copy on the bay. Probably the most recent addition and rarest is the Richie Allen "ROY MVP" inscription. Story is that he signed the cards and they were not returned in time for pack out. His agent wound up with all fifty copies. They sat in his possession until he sold the entire lot to one card dealer. They were sold on ebay over a period of about three months. A few copies were sent to BCCG at that time. I assume in hopes of garnering higher prices. That's what I wound up buying. I have not seen a single copy since then.

Members online

Latest posts