Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Team Issued Jersey vs. Authentic Jersey - Jersey Experts Please Read!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nofrills

Nov 1, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
So, this passed weekend, the Jay's held their annual Garage Sale where they sell off game used, team issued and other items cheap.
I picked up a jersey, that they told me was Team Issued, however it is not authenticated in any way.
I'm wondering how I can tell if it actually is team issued? I know it has something to do with the tag inside, so I'm hoping someone can confirm for me.
First pic is a retail authentic I bought from mlb.com:
IMAG0155.jpg

This is from the "Team Issued" one:
IMAG0156.jpg

Other than the missing Spanish and French, the 0620/6200 codes are different. What do they mean?
Any insight you can give me is appreciated!

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
Is there anything above the Majestic tag that is usually on the front of the jersey towards the bottom? If it was made for someone specific usually it will have the player's number, the year/season, and the size. At least the jersey that I have that was authenticated has team issued has that

nofrills

Nov 1, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Is there anything above the Majestic tag that is usually on the front of the jersey towards the bottom? If it was made for someone specific usually it will have the player's number, the year/season, and the size. At least the jersey that I have that was authenticated has team issued has that
Thanks for the reply. I haven't seen those types of tags on a Jays jersey in a very very long time...including on MLB authenticated ones.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
You have a receipt from the Jay's organization correct?

Anytime I have bought something from the Mariners Team store, I get a COA of the item..

toadfan106

May 2, 2009
It is the 0620/6200 codes that differentiate the team issued jerseys from the authentic jerseys. The codes vary by manufacturer/team/year, but that is the easiest way to tell, at least with jerseys from the last few years.

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Yep, the 062/6200 code difference is the easiest way to distinguish from recent years. But when dealing with team issued items, there really isn't really much of a market compared to actual game worn/used items.

nofrills

Nov 1, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You have a receipt from the Jay's organization correct?

Anytime I have bought something from the Mariners Team store, I get a COA of the item..

No this stuff was all cash only...just like a garage sale. I did buy direct from the team, just not the team store. All the items in the store are MLB authenticated, but not at the Garage sale.
It isn't something that I'm looking to flip or sell at all. All the players they had available were supposed to report to Jays ST, but were either traded or let go (Henderson Alvarez, d'Arnaud for example.)
Just curious as to how I can tell.

EmeraldRain

Aug 21, 2008
Seattle, WA.
You pretty much answered your own question there without really knowing it. MLB retail authentic jerseys are tagged 6200 and team issued will be 0062 or as in your case 0620, cool base jerseys use a similar system. The other thing of note about the TI jersey you bought, size 50 is NOT avail. for legit retail authentic jerseys. If I recall correctly, 42, 46, 50 and 54 are Team issued sizes. This may have changed but for the longest time this has been the case. Check the team stores authentics racks next time and you'll see lots of 44(L), 48(XL) and 52(XXL) and occasionally 56(XXXL) but none of the others unless a team lets some TI go out through the team store. Also, you will on a rare chance see a Team Issued or Game Used 6200 tagged jersey. When the team needs a jersey asap and doesn't have a spare one on hand, they use a retail jersey but it's very very rare.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I wish the Cardinals did something like this. There is a store at Busch Stadium that sells only game used stuff, and autographed memorabilia. It is so expensive.

nofrills

Nov 1, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You pretty much answered your own question there without really knowing it. MLB retail authentic jerseys are tagged 6200 and team issued will be 0062 or as in your case 0620, cool base jerseys use a similar system. The other thing of note about the TI jersey you bought, size 50 is NOT avail. for legit retail authentic jerseys. If I recall correctly, 42, 46, 50 and 54 are Team issued sizes. This may have changed but for the longest time this has been the case. Check the team stores authentics racks next time and you'll see lots of 44(L), 48(XL) and 52(XXL) and occasionally 56(XXXL) but none of the others unless a team lets some TI go out through the team store. Also, you will on a rare chance see a Team Issued or Game Used 6200 tagged jersey. When the team needs a jersey asap and doesn't have a spare one on hand, they use a retail jersey but it's very very rare.

It's funny you mention the Size 50 thing. That's the size I need and as you have said, you can't find them retail. A 52 is like a skirt on me!
Anyways, I'm pretty much satisfied that it is a team issue, especially being a 50. When I bought my retail, I noticed that you couldn't find a 50.
Great info, thanks for sharing!

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
Another thing about sizes.... Run of the mill sizes, 40, 44, 48 are usually retail. The 0062 or 0620 tag will tell you if team issued. Any time you get a 42, 46 or 50 it is almost always team issued. May not be game used, but team issued nonetheless.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online