Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1997 Score Hobby Reserve & Premium Stock Discussion - HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I need some help because I'm struggling to "prove" the following, which I believe to be true...

-1997 Score was broken up into Series 1 and Series 2

-1997 Score had 551 total cards (330 in Series 1 and 221 in Series 2)

-Premium Stock mirrored Series 1 (330 total cards) but they used a gray boarder on the front and an embossed gold foil Premium Stock logo

-Hobby Reserve mirrored Series 2 (221 total cards) but they added the gold Hobby Reserve foil seal on the front

Am I missing something here? Can anyone help "prove" this to be true with showing the actual sell-sheet or box or something?

I'm trying to help Beckett correct their checklists online because it's screwing up COMC, which are showing players like Albert Belle to have Premium Stock cards #428 and #495 , which clearly are NOT Premium Stock cards but it's a vicious circle going on.

If I'm wrong with those bold facts, please correct me.

Last edited:

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL
RustyGreerFan might can help. You are right about all of the above. Uncovering the evidence may be a little more difficult. Also, Andruw Jones was seemingly on the box of every score product in 1997, so maybe one of those guys has some product packaging lying around.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
RustyGreerFan might can help. You are right about all of the above. Uncovering the evidence may be a little more difficult. Also, Andruw Jones was seemingly on the box of every score product in 1997, so maybe one of those guys has some product packaging lying around.
[MENTION=4682]RustyGreerFan[/MENTION]

[MENTION=2173]AndruwHRJones[/MENTION]

[MENTION=2443]Fandruw25[/MENTION]

Last edited:

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Also, [MENTION=2418]George_Calfas[/MENTION] I think was the original one to tip me off that those two specific Belle cards don't exist because of the bold facts I listed above.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
All I know about the set was that there was a difference in numbering. Some cards had HR before the number, and some just the number. Both stamped Hobby Reserve on the front.

1997%20Score%20Hobby%20Reserve%20502.jpg

1997%20Score%20Hobby%20Reserve%20HR502.jpg

Last edited:

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
And the Reserve Collections were in the Series 2 Hobby Reserve boxes. Maybe ask Andrew if he still has the boxes from 90s break and see if there is any language on the box that states anything you need. However it shouldn't be this hard for them 16 years later

Ryan

**and Astroburn is correct about variations

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
And the Reserve Collections were in the Series 2 Hobby Reserve boxes. Maybe ask Andrew if he still has the boxes from 90s break and see if there is any language on the box that states anything you need. However it shouldn't be this hard for them 16 years later

Ryan

**and Astroburn is correct about variations
[MENTION=1816]All In Cards[/MENTION]

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
[MENTION=1845]gracecollector[/MENTION] - Thoughts here? I thought I remembered you explaining this once in the '90s thread at some point...

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I believe your bolded statements are true. Premium Stock was a series one parallel, and the Belle card numbers you gave are from series two. Series two had Hobby Reserve as its parallel.

1997 Score has always been a pain for me since Olerud had a Blue Jays card in series one and a Mets card in series two. To make matters worse, there are card versions with and without an "HR" prefix on the card numbers.

I'm interested to read other's comments. I already think I need to revise my Olerud 1997 Score checklist... again! :eek:

- Rodrick

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I believe your bolded statements are true. Premium Stock was a series one parallel, and the Belle card numbers you gave are from series two. Series two had Hobby Reserve as its parallel.

1997 Score has always been a pain for me since Olerud had a Blue Jays card in series one and a Mets card in series two. To make matters worse, there are card versions with and without an "HR" prefix on the card numbers.

I'm interested to read other's comments. I already think I need to revise my Olerud 1997 Score checklist... again! :eek:

- Rodrick

It's just confusing with COMCs because I think they're getting it wrong because Beckett has it twisted. Here is what COMCs has for a Belle Premium Stock, which I believe not to be the case but to be a Hobby Reserve BUT the numbering doesn't match with the "HR" in front???

1997 Score Premium Stock #495 - Albert Belle GY - COMC

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
[MENTION=1845]gracecollector[/MENTION] - Thoughts here? I thought I remembered you explaining this once in the '90s thread at some point...

I think all the bolded statements are true statements.

A total of 551 cards make
up the base set, with 330 cards
sold in Series I and 221 making
up Series II. The basic card design
features a color action
photo surrounded by a white
border. The player’s name is
above the photo, with the team
name underneath. Backs feature
text and statistics against
a white background with the
image of the team logo ghosted
into the background. Two parallel
insert sets - Artist’s Proof
and Showcase Series - were
part of each series. Other inserts
in Series I were Pitcher
Perfect, The Franchise, The
Glowing Franchise, Titanic
Taters (retail exclusive), Stellar
Season (magazine packs only),
and The Highlight Zone (hobby
exclusive). Series II inserts
were Blastmasters, Heart of the
Order and Stand and Deliver.
Cards were sold in 10-card
packs for 99 cents each.

Premium Stock
This is an upscale version
of Score’s regular Series 1
1997 issue, designated for
hobby sales only. The cards
are basically the same as the
regular issue, except for the
use of gray borders on front
and an embossed gold-foil
“Premium Stock” logo.

Hobby Reserve
This is a hobby-only parallel
version of Score Series 2,
similar in concept to the Series
1 Premium Stock. Cards are
identical to the regular Series
2 cards except for the addition
of a gold Hobby Reserve foil
seal on front.

Grace was #179, in series 1
Base - Private Stock - Artist's Proof - Showcase - Showcase Artist's Proof
97SCORE.jpg
97SCOREPS.jpg
97SCOREAPWHITE.jpg
97SCORESS.jpg
97SCOREAP.jpg

Last edited:

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA

- Rodrick

Did you get your two series 2 cards? With and without HR?

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
It's just confusing with COMCs because I think they're getting it wrong because Beckett has it twisted. Here is what COMCs has for a Belle Premium Stock, which I believe not to be the case but to be a Hobby Reserve BUT the numbering doesn't match with the "HR" in front???

1997 Score Premium Stock #495 - Albert Belle GY - COMC

Those are definitely the Hobby Reserve, and both without the HR. I dont believe comc differentiates between with or without the HR in the card number. I think you just need to flip the cards over when searching.

I know with my Series 1 card, i have the base white bordered, the grey bordered gold stamped premium stock, the mirror finish showcase series, and the rainbow looking artist proof. Series two just has the base and the gold stamped hobby reserve. Well, two gold stamped because of the HR numbering error.

Last edited:

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Did you get your two series 2 cards? With and without HR?

Yes. Just checking my website I have Reserve Collection #HR336 and Hobby Reserve #HR336 . I also have Hobby Reserve #336 on my checklist but should there also be Reserve Collection #336?

Looks like I can knock two cards off my list as there is no series one Hobby Reserve and no series two Premium Stock.

- Rodrick

Last edited:

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Beckett has it partially wrong. According to them, the HR-prefix Hobby Reserve exist for both series, which is clearly wrong. They also group together the S1 Premium Stock and S2 non-HR Hobby Reserve as the same set, which it kind of is (they do state that "Second series Premium Stock cards were called "Hobby Reserve""). COMC copies that, which explains the Belle linked above.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I'll look but I busted a box of the series 2 hobby reserve stuff and have a full set.

Members online