User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 30 of 30

Thread: A new Topps concept: Introducing Topps PLUS+

  1. #16
    Senior Member BowmanChromeAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Downingtown, PA
    Posts
    4,202
     bigbreaksports
     bigbreakcards
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The concept seems simple enough and not incredibly far from what Topps does now with hobby and jumbo having different types of hits, or actually upgraded hits that can only be found in one or the other. You're basically just suggesting that there is zero overlap of parallels in your Plus+ product and it has its own batch. While your description of what type of inserts to include is fun and quite specific, I could see Topps using the concept with their own formula.

  2. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,832
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MEH. just another form of Topps base that would render hobby boxes worthless imho.

  3. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    241
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim,

    After receiving feedback from you and several others, I think that my preference would be for Topps to replace their hobby jumbos with my concept of Topps PLUS+. I like the idea of zero overlap in inserts between hobby and jumbo and I'm sure Topps would too as master set collectors would try to collect them all. I would open jumbos at a premium price simply because I prefer a chance at fewer quality inserts over the chance of several cheaper inserts and I'm sure that people who prefer the chance at several cheaper inserts would buy hobby at a cheaper price. I think Topps is heading to my zero insert overlap concept. In 2014, Topps introduces new clear parallels. These parallels can only be found in hobby packs and NOT jumbos. This marks the first time that there are inserts found in hobby packs but not in hobby jumbo packs. Usually, its the other way around as jumbo packs have exclusive inserts not found in hobby packs. I think replacing hobby jumbos with my concept would work. Don't you think? I would like to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

    Craig from Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by BowmanChromeAddict View Post
    The concept seems simple enough and not incredibly far from what Topps does now with hobby and jumbo having different types of hits, or actually upgraded hits that can only be found in one or the other. You're basically just suggesting that there is zero overlap of parallels in your Plus+ product and it has its own batch. While your description of what type of inserts to include is fun and quite specific, I could see Topps using the concept with their own formula.

  4. #19
    Senior Member BiggioBrooks755's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Manitowoc, WI-Home of the Roncalli Jets
    Posts
    4,022
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Get rid of 75% of the new sets they got now
    2. Go back the 1990s idea of making cards (the golden era of collecting) which is what 2013 Topps Finest is trying to do
    RoncalliJetsForever9096822
    HOFer Craig Biggio-1469/4879-29% Craig Biggio Card Site
    HOFer
    Derrick Brooks-260/773-33% Derrick Brooks Card Site


  5. #20
    Senior Member predatorkj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    11,865
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    A new Topps concept: Introducing Topps PLUS+

    They already make too damn many inserts now. I already hate the fact that retail and hobby are any different for any product. If all I'm after is a standard master set, what in the heck is motivating me to bust retail(for retail exclusive content) hobby and hobby jumbo or this topps plus stuff to do it? It's more of a motivator for me to say to hell with it. Best case scenario, it costs me more money and ends up being a pain. It might be ok for topps but it's not ok for the collector or the hobby in general. We need to get away from there being like 10 parallels for each product and there being 10-15 insert sets ,which sometimes include up to 100 or more cards, in every set. It's ridiculous, they don't hold any value a year later, and it's really making people ponder why they should bother...

    I could see if all I did was base topps every year. But even then if I tried for a standard master set( lets say all parallels up to the black bordered) and all the non-GU and non-auto insert sets, even then I'm looking at at least what? $500? On a good day? So explain the draw of the product you're introducing.
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell all day every day!
    Current Jeff Bagwell count: 4,637 different cards!
    Also collecting Jerry Stackhouse! 751 different cards!
    Also collecting Jack Lambert and football players from all Texas colleges!

  6. #21
    Senior Member BiggioBrooks755's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Manitowoc, WI-Home of the Roncalli Jets
    Posts
    4,022
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by predatorkj View Post
    They already make too damn many inserts now. I already hate the fact that retail and hobby are any different for any product. If all I'm after is a standard master set, what in the heck is motivating me to bust retail(for retail exclusive content) hobby and hobby jumbo or this topps plus stuff to do it? It's more of a motivator for me to say to hell with it. Best case scenario, it costs me more money and ends up being a pain. It might be ok for topps but it's not ok for the collector or the hobby in general. We need to get away from there being like 10 parallels for each product and there being 10-15 insert sets ,which sometimes include up to 100 or more cards, in every set. It's ridiculous, they don't hold any value a year later, and it's really making people ponder why they should bother...

    I could see if all I did was base topps every year. But even then if I tried for a standard master set( lets say all parallels up to the black bordered) and all the non-GU and non-auto insert sets, even then I'm looking at at least what? $500? On a good day? So explain the draw of the product you're introducing.
    THIS!!
    RoncalliJetsForever9096822
    HOFer Craig Biggio-1469/4879-29% Craig Biggio Card Site
    HOFer
    Derrick Brooks-260/773-33% Derrick Brooks Card Site


  7. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    241
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In short, the main draw of Topps PLUS+ would be for those who want to collect one quality insert set, one quality game used set, and one quality autograph set while being brought closer to the game with a promotion based on on-field performance during the season. Plus, i have proposed a nice vintage element that would really be a huge draw.

    Craig from Texas


    Quote Originally Posted by predatorkj View Post
    They already make too damn many inserts now. I already hate the fact that retail and hobby are any different for any product. If all I'm after is a standard master set, what in the heck is motivating me to bust retail(for retail exclusive content) hobby and hobby jumbo or this topps plus stuff to do it? It's more of a motivator for me to say to hell with it. Best case scenario, it costs me more money and ends up being a pain. It might be ok for topps but it's not ok for the collector or the hobby in general. We need to get away from there being like 10 parallels for each product and there being 10-15 insert sets ,which sometimes include up to 100 or more cards, in every set. It's ridiculous, they don't hold any value a year later, and it's really making people ponder why they should bother...

    I could see if all I did was base topps every year. But even then if I tried for a standard master set( lets say all parallels up to the black bordered) and all the non-GU and non-auto insert sets, even then I'm looking at at least what? $500? On a good day? So explain the draw of the product you're introducing.

  8. #23
    Senior Member predatorkj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    11,865
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cparker94 View Post
    In short, the main draw of Topps PLUS+ would be for those who want to collect one quality insert set, one quality game used set, and one quality autograph set while being brought closer to the game with a promotion based on on-field performance during the season. Plus, i have proposed a nice vintage element that would really be a huge draw.

    Craig from Texas
    Craig...I'm not busting your chops but dude, if you need a fire, and a controlled fire that serves a purpose instead of raging out of control, you don't add more fuel to that already raging fire. You take some of the oxygen away from it. Same thing could be said about your idea. Why create another product? Why can't topps be like you're describing, without having to add anything? IMO, they need to trim down. And better quality wouldn't hurt. But if you throw another product out there, one not really adding much to the base product itself, isn't it overkill?

    I'd be for your idea if it was just straight up incorporated into base topps and all the crap and sp's and everything was killed off. But no...I'm actually not in favor of any new products from our friends in New York. Truth be told I have been purchasing more panini related baseball stuff lately. The design is simple, the sets aren't gargantuan, and the inserts are sharp. Give them an MLB license and I'd probably spend more on their stuff than topps.
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell all day every day!
    Current Jeff Bagwell count: 4,637 different cards!
    Also collecting Jerry Stackhouse! 751 different cards!
    Also collecting Jack Lambert and football players from all Texas colleges!

  9. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    388
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: A new Topps concept: Introducing Topps PLUS+

    Eliminate factory sets, and the demand for hand sorted sets would dramitically increase. That would "fix" base Topps. Your idea is ok I guess, but would not make a huge impact.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

  10. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    241
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are not busting my chops and if you look at my response in #18 , I'm suggesting that Topps replace their jumbos with my concept. It's not a new product -- same product with a different insert lineup. My concept gives those a chance at a better quality insert rather than a bunch of cheap inserts. Am I the only one, for example, that prefers one $36 insert over 36 $1 inserts? I like the idea of doing away with factory sets.

    Craig from Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by predatorkj View Post
    Craig...I'm not busting your chops but dude, if you need a fire, and a controlled fire that serves a purpose instead of raging out of control, you don't add more fuel to that already raging fire. You take some of the oxygen away from it. Same thing could be said about your idea. Why create another product? Why can't topps be like you're describing, without having to add anything? IMO, they need to trim down. And better quality wouldn't hurt. But if you throw another product out there, one not really adding much to the base product itself, isn't it overkill?

    I'd be for your idea if it was just straight up incorporated into base topps and all the crap and sp's and everything was killed off. But no...I'm actually not in favor of any new products from our friends in New York. Truth be told I have been purchasing more panini related baseball stuff lately. The design is simple, the sets aren't gargantuan, and the inserts are sharp. Give them an MLB license and I'd probably spend more on their stuff than topps.

  11. #26
    Senior Member Austin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Posts
    5,613
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MGiuseffi View Post
    Eliminate factory sets, and the demand for hand sorted sets would dramitically increase. That would "fix" base Topps.
    Although you're correct about increasing demand for hand-sorted sets and building sets the old fashioned way, Topps will never eliminate factory sets.
    They have a huge profit margin and sell well at major retailers like Walmart and Target, especially during the holidays.
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

  12. #27
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    241
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very true statement. It would be a good thing for the hobby to get rid of factory sets but it wouldn't be a good thing for Topps as I'm sure it's a huge money maker for them.

    Craig from Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Although you're correct about increasing demand for hand-sorted sets and building sets the old fashioned way, Topps will never eliminate factory sets.
    They have a huge profit margin and sell well at major retailers like Walmart and Target, especially during the holidays.

  13. #28
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    30,648
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MGiuseffi View Post
    Eliminate factory sets, and the demand for hand sorted sets would dramitically increase. That would "fix" base Topps. Your idea is ok I guess, but would not make a huge impact.
    Will NEVER EVER EVER EVER happen.

    For the same reasons [MENTION=1900]Austin[/MENTION] noted. And for alot of LCSs the factory set is the best product of the Year...
    Don't forget to use the FCB Link when buying on eBay!

  14. #29
    Senior Member predatorkj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    11,865
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    A new Topps concept: Introducing Topps PLUS+

    Yeah, I kinda like factory sets because it gives me the opportunity to say to hell with all the chasing that I may not feel like doing. Besides, hand collated sets are cool but I don't want to spend a small fortune compared to the things worth.
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell all day every day!
    Current Jeff Bagwell count: 4,637 different cards!
    Also collecting Jerry Stackhouse! 751 different cards!
    Also collecting Jack Lambert and football players from all Texas colleges!

  15. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    California and Oregon for school
    Posts
    1,833
     maxe0213
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BiggioBrooks755 View Post
    1. Get rid of 75% of the new sets they got now
    2. Go back the 1990s idea of making cards (the golden era of collecting) which is what 2013 Topps Finest is trying to do
    Yes and Yes.
    Always buying chrome slabs from 2012-2014 at up to 100% of ebay!

    Always buying raw chrome from 2013-2014 at up to 90% of ebay!

    All subject to players, condition, prices, sellers, among other variables.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •