User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: When a newbie seller tries to tell a player collector what something should cost

tgutta08
     TWasylikJr
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PujolsCollector View Post
    Just tonight I had a seller accept my offer just because of my collection and my offer was fair all because of the interactions.
    I wish people were more like that with me and my Denard Span collection. There are a few printing plates listed that the sellers are wanting at least $40-50 for. I have won all of mine in the $8-20 range with the exceptions being rookies. Just wish they were more willing to be reasonable, but I understand that it's their card and their price. I keep them in my watchlist just to see if they ever sell, but they've all been there for at least a year and still nothing.
    Collecting Denard Span!
    Non 1/1: 448/565
    Total 1/1's: 61

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just let him hold it hostage until it being held hostage is no longer getting him anywhere. If he finally breaks, buy it. There isn't much of anything else you can do. You as well as every other player collector here has to deal with sellers trying to get more out of something than they need to or in a lot of cases, than it's really worth. You'll never tell a seller anything they believe, even if you are right, unless they are open minded. Even talking to some sellers actually motivates them to hold out more. They think the interest is there, which it is, but wrongly believe it'll lead to them getting a higher price.

Just gotta do what's right for you. Who knows, he may sell it at his asking price to someone else. But if you or I or any of us had to pay the asking price every time, 2, 5, or 10 years down the road, your collection wouldn't be as good as it is now because that's that many more cards you couldn't get. Unless you have an unlimited budget.
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell all day every day!
    Current Jeff Bagwell count: 4,637 different cards!
    Also collecting Jerry Stackhouse! 751 different cards!
    Also collecting Jack Lambert and football players from all Texas colleges!

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RAZOR-Z View Post
    How many time has a company hid a 1/1 card in a box topper? (That could have been destroyed!?!) - IMHO - It is a HUGE historical card and you shouldn't let it get away!

Can you please stop making sense! You're making my wallet tingle.
    "I'm an acquired taste; if you don't like me, you should acquire some taste!"-- Stephen Colbert

Trade album Personal Collection

Featured Contributor
    The best players in history?
    Super Moderator
     Topnotchsy
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When a newbie seller tries to tell a player collector what something should cost

You may be the expert on Yount but as you mention it is a Ginter card and a kind of unique set something you aren't necessarily am expert on. I do think your offer was really reasonable but I don't have an issue with the seller and I definitely wouldn't make assumptions based on his feedback. Hope you get it though...

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it was $600 bin/bo would you have offered $400? The mind is a very powerful thing!

I hope you end up with it when the storm clears! It is definitely a cornerstone Yount!

Mentioned
    405 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [MENTION=7109]RAZOR-Z[/MENTION] - I love ya dude but seriously... we're ALL passionate about our PC and having MUST HAVE cards of our guy BUT let's be honest... it's always JUST another $100 when going after a card... eventually it's just ridiculous.

Use me for an example... if I offer $300 on a card (regardless of the price asked) that's probably my limit (if I've offered it as my final offer) and I've probably already tried mentally getting to the highest possible number... so it isn't just another $100... I'm already adding in that $100 LOL... so anyways, you eventually have to move on. The Belle nameplate is the best Belle card out there but I'm not going to overextend myself a few $100 bills more just to make it happen.
    The Albert Belle Collector
    Entire Private Collection: 2,627/2,891 - 90.9%

***Always hunting Albert Belle 1998 Tek Diffractors and 1999 Tek Golds***

Accomplished my impossible quest for +90% in October 2016

gracecollector
    Mentioned
    285 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A modern-player supercollector realizes that they can't have everything, but wants it anyway. It burns when you can't get a card you want even when you're willing to pay a little more than it should sell for, but sometimes that's just the case.

Razor-Z - the economy is tough, not everyone can make it rain Benjamins like you. A $100 is a lot to some, me included. Your willingness to overspend is your perogative, but just know that it's actions like yours that make sellers like this believe they'll eventually find a sucker to go way overboard. (Case in point - 1996 Leaf Preferred Bronze Promos)

I have found that having a website for my player collection comes in very handy for negotiations like OP is going thru. When I write to someone via ebay, I let them know I probably have the world's largest Mark Grace collection, point them to my website, and then ask them to consider an offer in line with what I have paid for a similar type card. I think being able to show them my collection online helps tremendously with both being considered an "expert" on the player's cards and with letting the seller know I'm both passionate about my collection and sincere about my offer. Oftentimes, the seller cuts me a deal because of that. Very rarely, a seller will think they have a fish on the line, and try to use my devotion against me. Only thing you can do in that situation is be polite, but stick to your guns. You don't want to slam the door on a possible future deal when the seller eventually comes to their senses.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MansGame View Post
    @RAZOR-Z - I love ya dude but seriously... we're ALL passionate about our PC and having MUST HAVE cards of our guy BUT let's be honest... it's always JUST another $100 when going after a card... eventually it's just ridiculous.

Use me for an example... if I offer $300 on a card (regardless of the price asked) that's probably my limit (if I've offered it as my final offer) and I've probably already tried mentally getting to the highest possible number... so it isn't just another $100... I'm already adding in that $100 LOL... so anyways, you eventually have to move on. The Belle nameplate is the best Belle card out there but I'm not going to overextend myself a few $100 bills more just to make it happen.
    I understand - If you have the means to obtain the Belle nameplate though I suggest you get it *if you don't see yourself ever selling your collection. Will you remember that you didn't get a new coat the winter of 2013 and ate Kraft macaroni and cheese for 3 months? Or would you rather smile in delight every time you think about your nameplate (Let alone look at it in your hand!) I have a hard time living with regret. I'm sure it drives me to overspend. I can see how it could be viewed as a double-edged sword (Just another $100) I'm not trying to push my mentality on you guys - I am jealous of all the great releases some of you still get of your old school PC guy. I said to myself when these cards were discovered: "THIS is a card I would have to have at no cost..."
    Last edited by RAZOR-Z; 11-01-2013 at 04:35 PM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gracecollector View Post
    A modern-player supercollector realizes that they can't have everything, but wants it anyway. It burns when you can't get a card you want even when you're willing to pay a little more than it should sell for, but sometimes that's just the case.

Razor-Z - the economy is tough, not everyone can make it rain Benjamins like you. A $100 is a lot to some, me included. Your willingness to overspend is your perogative, but just know that it's actions like yours that make sellers like this believe they'll eventually find a sucker to go way overboard. (Case in point - 1996 Leaf Preferred Bronze Promos)
    Point taken.

Jose Canseco collector competition is what drives my high bids, offers, and buys... If I don't act quick it WILL be GONE. It comes with the territory collecting Jose Canseco.
    Cards that sit online for other peoples PC guy for weeks/months wouldn't last through the first 20 minutes if it were a Canseco version. So understand what I am up against.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny story, years ago there was a seller on Ebay that had a McGwire HR refractor I wanted but was asking something like $300 when they were going for $90-$100. I sent him a message about the value of the card being only $90-100, showed him a couple completed auctions to prove it, but that I was willing to go up to $125 because I wanted to check it off my list.

His response to me was that he knew for a fact the card was actually worth $400 because he contacted one of the biggest, most knowledgeable McGwire collectors about the card before listing it and that he was the one guy to trust with pricing. He then made it clear that I obviously didn't know anything about the value of McGwire cards and all I was trying to take advantage of him.

I asked him the name of the collector, his answer was priceless: "onionring9, you should talk to him and learn something about the value of this card".

Needless to say I received the card and an apology for $125. I was entertained to say the least
    Mark McGwire Collector
    Current mini set chases:
    1998 Tek Diffractors (need 41 patterns)
    1998 Tek Pre-Production Blue (86)
    1998 Tek Pre-Production Gold (5,8,23,50,59,62,65,77)
    1999 Tek Gold /10 (7A pattern: 24), (7B patterns: 4, 28)
    2014 Tek (Black/White Auto Proof /1) and (any remaining unique buybacks)
    1999 Ultimate Victory Parallels (151, 152)
    1998 Donruss Crusade Purple Samples/Prototypes (two different, See examples here)
    View Collection: 5600+ unique cards
    View Full Statistics
    Need List

Mentioned
    405 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand - If you have the means to obtain the Belle nameplate though I suggest you get it *if you don't see yourself ever selling your collection. Will you remember that you didn't get a new coat the winter of 2013 and ate Kraft macaroni and cheese for 3 months? Or would you rather smile in delight every time you think about your nameplate (Let alone look at it in your hand!) I have a hard time living with regret. I'm sure it drives me to overspend. I can see how it could be viewed as a double-edged sword (Just another $100) I'm not trying to push my mentality on you guys - I am jealous of all the great releases some of you still get of your old school PC guy. I said to myself when these cards were discovered: "THIS is a card I would have to have at no cost..."
    Believe me, I could afford the card no problem - I just have standards when it comes to my collection (which I would admit are already too high) and what I'm going to spend. Just because some jacka$$ wants to try and push me around doesn't mean I need to flex my financial muscles and "show him"

Anyways, to everyone their own. I can live without the card I guess...

Mentioned
    273 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have sent a link to my collection in the past when making offers. Sometimes, those selles do realize that you may be the prime buyer of that card. If you go in honest - sometimes it takes. In all honesty - the card isn't worth even $300. I'd tell him that he probably missed out on the best prospect for a higher selling price and move on.

A few months from now - it'll show back up.

Mentioned
    405 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A_Pharis View Post
    I have sent a link to my collection in the past when making offers. Sometimes, those selles do realize that you may be the prime buyer of that card. If you go in honest - sometimes it takes. In all honesty - the card isn't worth even $300. I'd tell him that he probably missed out on the best prospect for a higher selling price and move on.

A few months from now - it'll show back up.
    Me? I agree.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be upset if it disappeared and would not regret spending another $100. My "standard" is not to screw around on 1/1 cards and cost myself the satisfaction of owning it/anguish of losing it.

I can make more money - I can't make opportunities reappear.

-AJ

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All about priorities. I'm glad cards bring you such joy, but in my opinion, there is no need to suffer in other aspects of life for pieces of cardboard. Like gracecollector said, you can't have everything. There is no need to be taken advantage of by a seller.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast