Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Photo of the Day Thursday November 7, 2013..... Flying Zimmer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
I know we have a Don Zimmer collector or two on the boards (gracecollector is one that I know of) so i thought I would post these two photos I found of a very young Zimmer in his early Dodger days. It is amazing to think that this man has been involved in baseball in some capacity for nearly seven decades. Don Zimmer is the textbook example of a baseball lifer. I am loving the flying Zimmer picture as it reminds me of the famous Pee Wee Reese 1953 Bowman card and it makes one wonder if this is where the inspriration for that card came from or was this just a standard shot that was taken at that time for second basemen and short stops.

I hope you enjoy today's photo of the day.

Image36-1_zps1a7d2234.jpg

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
Wow great picture- guessing Dodgertown/spring training pic.

When I saw the title of this thread I imagined it was a pic of Zim being thrown to the ground by Pedro. I always thought that was a punk move my Pedro.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I highly approve of today's picture! There are so many great pictures of the Dodgers at spring training - the photographers posed them for all kinds of jumping and fielding shots. For more great Zimmer photos, check out my page here...

Collecting Zim: Don Zimmer Photos

Here's a bonus photo of the day, from my personal collection, taken in 1984 by Louis DeLuca, noted sports photographer for the Dallas Morning News. The photo is entitled "Pre-Game Jitters" and originates from the Sporting News Archives. It won second place in a SN photo journalism contest that year.

zim_jitters.jpg

Last edited:

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
I highly approve of today's picture! There are so many great pictures of the Dodgers at spring training - the photographers posed them for all kinds of jumping and fielding shots. For more great Zimmer photos, check out my page here...

Collecting Zim: Don Zimmer Photos

Here's a bonus photo of the day, from my personal collection, taken in 1984 by Louis DeLuca, noted sports photographer for the Dallas Morning News. The photo is entitled "Pre-Game Jitters" and originates from the Sporting News Archives. It won second place in a SN photo journalism contest that year.

zim_jitters.jpg

I thought you would approve!! :)

The photo you posted is identical to the one I have in my collection (but packed away somewhere) except for the fact Zim was looking directly at the camera. The photo I have I obtained while I was working for the Cubs and it was displayed in the main entrance of the administration offices for the team. After Zim left the team they changed out the pictures and I was given the photo instead of having it tossed out. The photo is a odd size (from memory...about 14 X 24) and is on a solid heavy board stock. I will have to try and determine where I stashed this and scan it for the board to see. I loved the photo I had in my collection and love this one too!! Thanks for posting it.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Who knew Zimmer had hops like that lol, I too first thought of Pedro when I saw the thread title

Members online

Latest posts