Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Sports Art Appreciation Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
UPDATE: I know this thread is a few months old, but I decided to add some of my new pieces in a new post rather than creating another thread. Look forward to seeing some art!

I have gained a much larger appreciation for art over the last few months and I've had the opportunity to commission a few pieces and picked up a few others, but let me get this thread started with my utmost favorite sports art and another cool sketch:

K8STkA2.jpg

Artist: Tim Carroll
Size: 20"x28"
Medium: Drinking Straws
More Info: http://www.timcarrollart.com/mroctober.htm

Let me start off by saying Tim is a fantastic person to deal with and when I saw that he made this Reggie available, I had to have it. I am extremely thankful to have had the opportunity to purchase this item and it will remain a centerpiece in my collection for years to come. Unfortunately, the photo of this piece just does not do it justice. I am astonished with the execution and precision of this piece and it took Tim over 50 hours to complete! Huge thanks to Mr. Carroll!

pv3LITJ.jpg

Artist: Dave Hobrecht
Size: 5"x7"
Medium: Pencil

I was happy to come across this piece done by one of the premier sports card artists. Dave has been featured in several sets for Topps, so it was cool to add a piece of my favorite player to my collection.

Anyone else have some cool art to share? Look forward to seeing some nice sports art!

I will try to occasionally add some items to the thread as I pick them up, but I will be hard pressed to find an item that I appreciate more than my new Mr. October.

Last edited:

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Cool stuff. I don't have anything to speak of but have considered doing my own portraits to accompany my hof autographs. Big undertaking though to do just one...

Sent from my iPhone

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Arthur K. Miller does some great stuff. This is a Ty Cobb I have.

Picked up the Joe Jackson for my brother.

shoeless.jpg

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
my favorite sports "art" is the baseball ballparks calendar i get every year. A ballpark art dealer puts reproductions of the prints he sells in the calendar. I have yet to pull the trigger on a print - there are so many well done sports art images that I can't make up my mind which one I like enough to buy rather than just enjoy on the calendar.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
My favorite sports artis is Graig Kreindler and I have had the pleasure of speaking with him many times via Facebook and other message boards and meeting him at this years National as well. This guys stuff is amazing and his attention to detail makes his paintings look like photos. He work has been featured in a recent book about baseball by the U.S. Postal Service, the Yogi Berra Museum, the Normal Rockwell Museum and various other places.

I will send Graig an invite to pop over here on FCB. He is on the Net54 boards as well as the PSA boards and is very open to answer any questions anyone may have.

http://graigkreindler.com/

A few examples of his work....

MMFull_zps4c15d8fa.jpg

JoeWoodFull_zpsac0d5576.jpg

JackieRobinson1949_zps88650a94.jpg

Christy_Mathewson_1914_Cracker_JackFull_zpse91e3a20.jpg

banks-1969_zps63580237.jpg

Last edited:

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
My favorite sports artis is Graig Kreindler and I have had the pleasure of speaking with him many times via Facebook and other message boards and meeting him at this years National as well. This guys stuff is amazing and his attention to detail makes his paintings look like photos. He work has been featured in a recent book about baseball by the U.S. Postal Service, the Yogi Berra Museum, the Normal Rockwell Museum and various other places.

I will send Graig an invite to pop over here on FCB. He is on the Net54 boards as well as the PSA boards and is very open to answer any questions anyone may have.

http://graigkreindler.com/

A few examples of his work....

MMFull_zps4c15d8fa.jpg

JoeWoodFull_zpsac0d5576.jpg

JackieRobinson1949_zps88650a94.jpg

Christy_Mathewson_1914_Cracker_JackFull_zpse91e3a20.jpg

banks-1969_zps63580237.jpg

I have talked with him via FB, and he does some amazing stuff..

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Some additions to the list - some of my favorites were already mentioned above.

I think artist Peter Chen's "Jumbotron Art" portrait series was imaginative and interesting.

andre-dawson-cubs.gif
rollie-fingers-mil.gif
rickey-henderson.gif

greg-luzinski.gif
willie-mcgee.gif
willie-stargell.gif

robin-yount.gif
oscar-gamble.gif

Ken Branch does really nice sketch cards.

08SCROBINSONSKETCH.jpg

Kadir Nelson's paintings for the book "We Are The Ship" are fantastic. My favorite illustrated baseball book

we%20are%20the%20ship.jpg

WeAreTheShip.jpg

Mike Floyd does amazing work with baseballs as his canvas.

Clemente-cu.jpg

he did this less expensive version of his usual commission for me of Cap Anson

mikefloyd1.gif

Last edited:

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
my favorite sports "art" is the baseball ballparks calendar i get every year. A ballpark art dealer puts reproductions of the prints he sells in the calendar. I have yet to pull the trigger on a print - there are so many well done sports art images that I can't make up my mind which one I like enough to buy rather than just enjoy on the calendar.

Now that you mention it, I actually have a calendar with some awesome art as well from my days at MLBN that was put together by Bill Goff. Has a great assortment of vintage classic ballparks and a nice centerfold:

http://www.goodsportsart.com/cgi-bi...emtemplate=nav/GSA-Cal.html&emptyoverride=yes (similar to this one, just branded differently)

I love the Royal Wrigley Threads photo from this particular calendar (July 2012).

[MENTION=5862]wkpeters3213[/MENTION] - Love the collection and definitely jealous of those Jeter's!

[MENTION=1845]gracecollector[/MENTION] - I'm also a fan of those jumbrotrons. Love the unique and different pieces. Sweet ball too!

Some great realistic examples shown in this thread as well. Phenomenal work

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
[MENTION=1845]gracecollector[/MENTION]

100% on Kadir Nelson. The pictures in that book (children's I might add) are simply stunning and original.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I got this painting a few years ago from Absolon Moreau. He's gotten much more popular over the last couple of years and I know a bunch of athletes have commissioned works from him. I know there was someone here who was helping him with the business end (don't recall the username but it mentioned the SF Giants). The Koufax is mine, I also added a couple of more recent paintings because he's upped his game over the last couple of years:

sandy-koufax.jpg

A personal painting he did, but something I thought was cool and really well done...
dez-briscoe-with-son-2-24x36.jpg

Vernon Davis with a couple of paintings for a charity auction:
Vernon-Davis-300x298.png

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
[MENTION=2002]Topnotchsy[/MENTION] - Wow, he does great work at a very solid price point. Some nice originals in his store and an easy interface for commissioning pieces.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
@Topnotchsy - Wow, he does great work at a very solid price point. Some nice originals in his store and an easy interface for commissioning pieces.
His site is really nicely designed and I have to imagine prices will continue to rise he becomes more well known. As it is he's reached a level where he's done a decent amount of commissions for pro athlete's and his tweet on his Jerry Rice painting garnered a response from Rice which is pretty cool. Right when he was starting to sell he offered custom paintings (through a buddy of his) on this site for really cheap and I picked up the Koufax because I felt like he had the talent and drive to become something special.

Jan 15, 2009
His site is really nicely designed and I have to imagine prices will continue to rise he becomes more well known. As it is he's reached a level where he's done a decent amount of commissions for pro athlete's and his tweet on his Jerry Rice painting garnered a response from Rice which is pretty cool. Right when he was starting to sell he offered custom paintings (through a buddy of his) on this site for really cheap and I picked up the Koufax because I felt like he had the talent and drive to become something special.
The art has gotten a lot better over the past few years, no question about that! I run the business. Lots of pro athletes currently own artwork and that will continue to rise as Christmas season comes closer with many of the player's wives commissioning artwork for their husbands. Price points are very reasonable, most likely will rise within the next 6 months.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts