Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Angels send Bourjos to St. Louis for David Freese.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Per Ken Rosenthal.

Anyone know anything about this kid?

Looks like Jon Jay will be out the door soon as well

Last edited:

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
David Freese & Fernando Salas to the Angels For Peter Bourjos & Randal Grichuk

Prospects are also involved; will update the subject line of this thread when known.

Cardinals Acquire Peter Bourjos
By Steve Adams [November 22 at 1:33pm CST]
1:33pm: Yahoo's Tim Brown tweets that while Bourjos and Freese are the primary players in the deal, a couple other pieces are involved as well.

1:19pm: The Cardinals have acquired Peter Bourjos from the Angels, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter). MLB.com's Alden Gonzalez reports that David Freese will head to the Angels in the deal. Other pieces could be involved in the deal, though that's not yet known at this time.

Bourjos, who turns 27 at the end of Spring Training, is a defensive wizard in center field that owns a career .251/.306/.398 batting line. He slashed .274/.333/.377 in an injury-shortened season after being hit by a pitch on the wrist and requiring surgery. He also posted an impressive .271/.327/.438 batting line with 12 homers and 22 steals in 2011, showing off that he's capable of being a plus offensive player in a full season as well. The speedster has a career 20.2 UZR/150 rating in more than 2,600 innings in center field. MLBTR contributor Matt Swartz projected a $1.1MM salary for Bourjos in 2014.

Freese, 30, had a down season at the plate in 2013, slashing .262/.340/.381 with just nine homers. He was significantly better in 2012, when he belted 20 homers and batted .293/.372/.467 in 144 games. Freese is typically regarded as a solid defender at third base, but both The Fielding Bible and Ultimate Zone Rating graded his work poorly this season. Freese began the season on the DL with a back strain, and if that pain lingered throughout the season, it could explain his decline on both sides of the game. Swartz projects Freese to earn $4.4MM in 2014.

Last edited:

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Already posted. Way to steal my thunder. Lol

Wow. Randal Grichuk is included in the deal; headed to the Cards.

The Angels chose him just before Mike Trout. Good power, had a better year than last.

Last edited:

rookieaddict

Nov 13, 2008
I love this! Bourjos should be a legitimate lead off hitter, his speed and glove are great. Allows us to move carpenter to 3rd and gives us flexibility to trade Adams for a 3b. I really think there was a chance Freese and Salas were going to be non-tendered

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
I love this! Bourjos should be a legitimate lead off hitter, his speed and glove are great. Allows us to move carpenter to 3rd and gives us flexibility to trade Adams for a 3b. I really think there was a chance Freese and Salas were going to be non-tendered

Yup; Bourjos lead-off and the doubles machine Carpentar batting #2 ; Carp moves to 3b making way for Wong.

This also moves swaps a left handed bat for a righty!

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Will Grichuk ever be promoted to the Majors, perhaps Cardinals?

Cant see it happening in StL; the current OF looks like Holliday LF, Bourjos CF, Taveras RF, Craig RF, Jay Platoon/Trade bait. Even if Craig or Adams are traded for a SS this off-season the road to the Show in StL looks steep.

rookieaddict

Nov 13, 2008
Cant see it happening in StL; the current OF looks like Holliday LF, Bourjos CF, Taveras RF, Craig RF, Jay Platoon/Trade bait. Even if Craig or Adams are traded for a SS this off-season the road to the Show in StL looks steep.

Always an injury away, but looks like right now we have jay and Robinson as bench outfielders. I'm working with the assumption that either craig or taveras is on right. Making our top outfield prospects Grichuk and Piscotty

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Good trade for the Cards, IMO.....but both teams got what they needed. Last year was a down year for Freese so I'm sure he will bounce back just fine.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Good trade for the Cards, IMO.....but both teams got what they needed. Last year was a down year for Freese so I'm sure he will bounce back just fine.

Salas "should" help a bullpen that had issues last year. I am surprised how many media folk are overlooking his importance to the trade.

Members online

Latest posts