Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Coworker wants to know... Autos Inside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Thats what I told my coworker right from the start.

Whats PSA Quick Opinion?

Go to the PSA/DNA portion of the site and it will be explanatory, but mainly it can be used to pre-screen unauthenticated autos prior to purchase or submission. If you sun the auto the $7 fee is credited to your total.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
The only real autograph pictured is the Trevor Hoffman. The rest are really bad fakes, especially the Jeters.....

I keep wondering something about the Hoffman, though. It looks like one of those facsimile sigs to me as if there was a Padres hoffman 8x10 photo night sponsored by US bank that included trevor's facsimile sig on it.

Hopefully by the OP posting it, it means that it was actually done in sharpie and not just printed on.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
My honest opinion: They're all bad. This looks like something that grandma bought "little Timmy" for Christmas in the mid 90's. She probably wandered into the local hobby shop and Sal the owner pawned these off on her.

Biggest red flag: The Jordan. Dating to the later part of his Bulls career (XI shoes), he was fully in Upper Deck's grasp. No UD holo, no chance.

If one is bad, it's likely they're all bad.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
A good portion of those are comical forgeries. For instance the Jeter is a joke. What I find odd is you are saying he isnt moving these, I can tell you I am almost certain that those Jeters where listed on ebay a while back and removed for being forgeries. The reason I remember them is how bad they are.

As I said a bunch of those are 110% fakes.

Gonzaleznut

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
As a former Juan Gonzalez collector for years I have seen literally thousands of his auto and I can tell you that one doesn't look like any I have ever seen.

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Agreed that they look pretty rough. But even if the signatures were legit, there's not much value there. Aside from the biggest names, most wouldn't sell for much more than the cost of authentication.

I come across 8x10's with similar stories once or twice a month. There are a lot of fake 8x10's floating around of from 90's superstars. The autographs will be close enough to look close to the untrained eye in the pre-smartphone days, but with the number of signatures we can compare them to today don't even look close. It seems like 8x10's were the preferred medium to fake - they would sell for more than a signed card, and I think it would be easier to trick some unwitting customers with the league logos and holo-stickers on the photos. Some less reputable cardshop owners were able to make a killing turning $2 8x10's into $50-100 signed memorabilia.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
That Riveria is bad bad bad. In person or not, Riveria's sig has always been crisp and clean and all letters legible. This 8x10 you can read Ri in Riveria and then its just a wiggly line to end it. No way thats legit.
Then you look at the Jeters. If there is nothing in those autos that scream legit. Just go to ebay and search derek jeter autograph and find one that remotely resembles those two. IMO horrible fakes.
Seeing that Jeter and Riveria are obvious fakes, I will assume most of the others are also without looking at legitimate examples.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Agreed that they look pretty rough. But even if the signatures were legit, there's not much value there. Aside from the biggest names, most wouldn't sell for much more than the cost of authentication.

I come across 8x10's with similar stories once or twice a month. There are a lot of fake 8x10's floating around of from 90's superstars. The autographs will be close enough to look close to the untrained eye in the pre-smartphone days, but with the number of signatures we can compare them to today don't even look close. It seems like 8x10's were the preferred medium to fake - they would sell for more than a signed card, and I think it would be easier to trick some unwitting customers with the league logos and holo-stickers on the photos. Some less reputable cardshop owners were able to make a killing turning $2 8x10's into $50-100 signed memorabilia.

These were my concerns when I saw them, and thats why I wanted to ask you guys since you see autos of these guys on a regular basis and I do not. Even the Bagwell he brought in looks funny to me. (I didnt bother taking a pic of it, since I have been looking at his auto since 94)

The info on the quick authenticicating was good, and also what I needed to know. So the bigger names we will give it a shot, and you are right about the cost of verifying vs the return if its even real on the others. So maybe for peace of mind, he might do the lesser names. But he really wants to do the Jordan. I knew about his contract with Upper Deck, but I wouldnt know about the age of the photo cuz I dont follow Jordan or his shoes.

While disappointing to hear, in the back of my mind I know there is always a chance of forgeries. But for him, he doesnt know about the shady world of fake autos like I do. He isnt a collector, he just has these from them being given to him by his mom. So now he knows, and I have explained to him the shadier part of our world.

I think we still will do the quick check on the big names. Its worth ten bucks to find out if its worth sending in.

And I appreciate all the opinions guys. Thanks.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
These were my concerns when I saw them, and thats why I wanted to ask you guys since you see autos of these guys on a regular basis and I do not. Even the Bagwell he brought in looks funny to me. (I didnt bother taking a pic of it, since I have been looking at his auto since 94)

The info on the quick authenticicating was good, and also what I needed to know. So the bigger names we will give it a shot, and you are right about the cost of verifying vs the return if its even real on the others. So maybe for peace of mind, he might do the lesser names. But he really wants to do the Jordan. I knew about his contract with Upper Deck, but I wouldnt know about the age of the photo cuz I dont follow Jordan or his shoes.

While disappointing to hear, in the back of my mind I know there is always a chance of forgeries. But for him, he doesnt know about the shady world of fake autos like I do. He isnt a collector, he just has these from them being given to him by his mom. So now he knows, and I have explained to him the shadier part of our world.

I think we still will do the quick check on the big names. worth ten bucks to find out if its worth sending in.

And I appreciate all the opinions guys. Thanks.

The Riveria are real. Tell your co worker I will give him 20.00 for the Riveria since it's been deemed fake here.

$(KGrHqF,!qEFII-WTi6WBSE5Yp2QPQ~~60_57.JPG

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 41

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
The Riveria are real. Tell your co worker I will give him 20.00 for the Riveria since it's been deemed fake here.

$(KGrHqF,!qEFII-WTi6WBSE5Yp2QPQ~~60_57.JPG

HAHAHA and another sucker is born!

The one you posted is 100% authentic. The one the op posted is no doubt a forgery. They arent even close to looking like each other. The slant, pen pressure. tilt and letter size are all completely different. The forgers thank you for clouding the waters and also thank you for the buisness.

Also OP tell your co worker to save his money on the Jordan, its a forgery also.

Here are some more real old school Mo signatures. Notice the huge difference.

$(KGrHqNHJ!8E-FObdf33BPqt(cwZ+w~~60_57.JPG $(KGrHqR,!ogFI(eBrPndBSLj-bW13w~~60_3.JPG

Last edited:

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
The slant, pen pressure. tilt and letter size are all completely different.

I can't take you seriously after that statement. The autograph in your two examples are different in size, tilt, and slant.

Last edited:

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
I see everyone here is a 'penmanship' expert. :confused: Players signatures change over time. Ive had my employer chase me down to confirm my signature of today because it doesn't look anything like it did when I hired in.

I'm not much for auto's but lets say they are all PSA/JSA'd as real. What would be the value as this was the original question.

Members online

Latest posts