User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Ride me baby" chrome auto inscription

Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muskiesfan View Post
    While I do not condone or agree with the practice, I am surprised this isn't more wide spread. People will do anything to try and maximize their money. Not just in the card world, but in general.
    What I've been saying all along in this thread.

---
    Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!
    The Albert Belle Collector
    Entire Private Collection: 2,626/2,891 - 90.8%

Accomplished my impossible quest for +90% in October 2016

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's easier [maybe not for Topps but in general] to debunk a fake inscription or even contact the athlete through social media.

Maybe scams would happen more if the cards were supposed to be inscribed with some sort of notation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here ya go, it's fake Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1386095365.356547.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	26565

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I asked him first and he didn't answer me!
    I know I'm "new" here but I am very well established with 1500+ positives on eBay (ID normandavid) and 110+ positives on SportsCardForum (ID markotsay7). If you have any questions don't hesitate to PM me.

CHRIS COGHLAN SUPERCOLLECTOR - if you have any rare stuff PLMK!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [MENTION=6581]BBCgalaxee[/MENTION] so how well do you know this guy? Did he sell it elsewhere?

Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cards01fan View Post
    Here ya go, it's fake Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1386095365.356547.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	26565
    Haha that's awesome!
    The Albert Belle Collector
    Entire Private Collection: 2,626/2,891 - 90.8%

Accomplished my impossible quest for +90% in October 2016

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Several years back, around 2004, I remember someone saying they pulled an autograph from a Topps set (i think). Pretty sure it was the Topps message board. It was this card I believe:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jared-Wells-...item338833d911

I remember form the scan that there was no auto, just a crude drawing of a male member. It was before I thought to save scans, but remember seeing it posted. i tried to find it, but no luck. Anyone remember seeing that card? it might have been a hoax, but I don't know.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I vaguely remember seeing that card as well. Can't recall the year of where (it was somewhere on-line), but remember the drawing!

Quote Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
    Several years back, around 2004, I remember someone saying they pulled an autograph from a Topps set (i think). Pretty sure it was the Topps message board. It was this card I believe:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jared-Wells-2007-Bowman-Baseball-Signs-of-the-Future-Autograph-Signature-Auto-/221328431377?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item338833d911

I remember form the scan that there was no auto, just a crude drawing of a male member. It was before I thought to save scans, but remember seeing it posted. i tried to find it, but no luck. Anyone remember seeing that card? it might have been a hoax, but I don't know.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait, people actually would pay more money for that card as opposed to no inscription? I must have been out of the card collecting loop for a while now....
    Boston Red Sox 2013 World Champions! #BostonStrong

-Thanks to JBel4331 for the sig

jbhofmann
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I posted my thoughts on BO while FCB was down but--

1. The ink looks the same to me. The bottom looks slightly darker but I think that is due to the shadows not a difference in marker.

2. Many others are better handwriting/autograph experts but I really think the inscription is of the same "hand". The R is very distinct and not a common way to create a cursive R. Very much similar to his signature.

I'm guessing that there are two scenarios that are likely:

a. Ryder penned the inscription himself, now realizes that it was probably something he shouldn't have done and is in denial mode.

b. A friend or teammate that was present at the signing took a card off the pile that was signed and added the inscription as a joke.

I really see no reason for the OP that "pulled" the card to lie about this and create a controversial thread especially after Mike C. was basically ran out of all message boards after his @twitter inscription fiasco.

Just my thoughts.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhofmann View Post
    I posted my thoughts on BO while FCB was down but--

1. The ink looks the same to me. The bottom looks slightly darker but I think that is due to the shadows not a difference in marker.

2. Many others are better handwriting/autograph experts but I really think the inscription is of the same "hand". The R is very distinct and not a common way to create a cursive R. Very much similar to his signature.

I'm guessing that there are two scenarios that are likely:

a. Ryder penned the inscription himself, now realizes that it was probably something he shouldn't have done and is in denial mode.

b. A friend or teammate that was present at the signing took a card off the pile that was signed and added the inscription as a joke.

I really see no reason for the OP that "pulled" the card to lie about this and create a controversial thread especially after Mike C. was basically ran out of all message boards after his @twitter inscription fiasco.

Just my thoughts.
    Meh and here are a few things I noticed. The ink color is different. The inscription is sharpie blue and the other one is the marker color topps uses. The R while similar has more different than the same as the letter r in Ryder. It definitely was made to look like the Ryder R but seems they didn't get it right. And IMO it appears more a females handwriting (or a dude who writes like a girl I guess) cause the lettering is highly feminine which leads for me to believe he didn't sign it but maybe a girl did as a joke.

What I really dont like is that the BO topic was created after this topic was made and he denied it on twitter. Then you have the person who pulled it refusing to listen and hinting at selling it as soon as he finds out what it is. Why didnt he contact him through twitter and get on BO ASAP after being pulled? Who was with him when he pulled it? Is there any others around when he broke several cases? He posted every day since pulling it. But forgot to mention this card until Yesterday?
    Last edited by nyc3; 12-04-2013 at 02:25 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12