Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So looks like Leaf is on to something....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Tweeted this today

"Anyone else here ready for a major shakeup in the card business? I have a sneaking feeling 2014 might bring a legal blockbuster..."

If only there was a representative from leaf to spill the beans on fcb ;)

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
We all know it "can't be talked about yet"
I'd love to hear some good news but I'm not holding my breath. I'll gladly let you all tell me " told you so" when it happens

Sent from my iPhone

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
I seem to recall BG mentioning have lawyers looking into using non-airbrushed images but just not the team names in the text portion. Leaf does some really nice stuff and if he can find a legal loophole to the licensing then power to him.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Logos would be sweet...even though I was told it couldnt happen...;)

It depends how you define "logo" (or "wordmark"). Maybe Leaf's lawyeers have figured out how you could show in an image up to half of a Cubs "C" logo or "Dod" in the wordmark "Dodgers" and not be considered in violation of logo or wordmark usage. Test your legal theory with a court case to set legal precedence and you should be free of MLBP lawsuits for logo/wordmark usage.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
Didn't BG have a "sneaking feeling" that there would be a second MLB card license, a year or two ago?

Actually, I guaranteed there would be a second MLBPA license and surprise.., Panini got one soon after..

So much action behind the scenes.. :)

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
Logos would be sweet...even though I was told it couldnt happen...;)

My belief that no license is required to show the player in uniform is well documented..

That loophole is called the first amendment..

One licensor holds the future of the industry in its hands (hint: not baseball)..

BG

Last edited:

mstng99tim

Apr 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
If a painting, like the Manziel cut autos were, are considered to be "works of art", wouldn't that be the loophole to get around the licensing issue?

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
If a painting, like the Manziel cut autos were, are considered to be "works of art", wouldn't that be the loophole to get around the licensing issue?

Take this with a grain of salt because I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is that it's ok to do this as long as it's original art every time. Once you start mass producing it to sell it, you run into problems. This is the case even if it's not an exact match of the real logo.

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
It depends how you define "logo" (or "wordmark"). Maybe Leaf's lawyeers have figured out how you could show in an image up to half of a Cubs "C" logo or "Dod" in the wordmark "Dodgers" and not be considered in violation of logo or wordmark usage. Test your legal theory with a court case to set legal precedence and you should be free of MLBP lawsuits for logo/wordmark usage.

But, wasn't this what Upper Deck did with 2010 baseball? That did not end well for them.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I'll cross my fingers that this will result in the announcement of the much anticipated license to produce cards for the KBO and Liga Mexican del Pacifico.