Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

TwinsFest 2014

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwinGnats

May 25, 2010
Fridley, MN
These people don't care, charity auctions aren't about getting great value.
Live auction results
1) Framed 1987 World Championship Poster (if you looked closely there was lots of damage to it) - $1700!!!
2) Joe Mauer Jersey (if you looked up the mlb hologram, it says Game Used, they had it listed as team issued - $1700 (steal IMO)
3) Twinsfest Bat (this thing was 5-6 ft tall, very cool) - $850
4) Memorial Day Package (Perk GU jersey, Deduno Hat, Lineup Card) - $450 (steal)
5) Zac Brown Band Autographed Guitar - $850 (in the words of Bo Dietel...really?......REALLY?)
6) 2013 Opening Day Base - $725
7) 2014 Home Run Derby Tickets - $2000!!! (WTF?)
8) 2013 All Star Ballot - $400 (ugliest thing on auction, should have went free to tbtwinsfan being it was signed by Perk)
9) Joe Mauer Game Used Bat - $2200 (makes my Mauer bat look like a steal at 1k)
10) Twins Hall of Fame Package (11 signed balls and a poster) - $1300 (people just pissing 100 dollar bills)
11) Glen Perkins Package (jersey, hat, ball) - $500 (good value)

OK now the real nut burgers come out

12) Jim Thome 574 Home Run Base - $3100 (OK I see the significance behind the base, but not 3100 wise, but the buyer has some of the deepest pockets in Twins collecting)
13) 2014 All Star Tickets - $3000 (same buyer as the HR derby tickets. Yes, one dude paid 5k for unknown seat location at Target Field, NNFFC!!!)
14) Buxton Bat and Ball, Sano Bat and Ball all signed - $1450!!!!! (Mind you these are NOT game used or inscribed, if you stood in line and bought plain bats and balls, would have cost you under $200, people just tossing Benjamins around)
15) Wooden Ball Case (holds 30 balls signed by current and former players) - $1500

Total of the craziness ----- $21,725

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
...and I stated they're not stupid because the point of the price is not to just acquire an item. They are donating to the community fund.
Ok you are right. Happy?
If it goes to charity, aren't you allowed to write off anything over the actual value?
Yes you can. But let's say for those all star tickets, bidder paid 2700 over value, bidder does get 2700 back by "writing it off", it ends up being a percentage.

byronscott4ever

Dec 3, 2009
My point is that if you don't think you can get something elsewhere or only at a higher price and you have the money, at least you can write off the extra. If it's on eBay to a non charity, you may pay more and can't write it off either.

byronscott4ever

Dec 3, 2009
Media seems to be glowing about TwinsFest. I don't see it and plan to send feedback to the team, anyone else thinking about it?

TwinsWin

Mar 14, 2011
I thought twinsfest was good, not great but good. I liked the displaying of the stadium and the ability to access parts of the stadium otherwise inaccessible to the "average" fan. I hit in the cage, I went into the clubhouse, I hung out in the champions club, I was able to see the suites. So for those reason it was a good twinsfest. The autograph stations weren't great hard to gauge the length of lines and the workers were no help in this as I was asked to get out of two lines I know that people were still getting through that were behind me, no biggie though saved me 40-50 dollars. I'm guessing these will be changed in the next year to better suite the fans and players. Now the biggest problem, the memorabilia show, it was to dark it was very narrow wasn't a lot of dealers and the ones I seen wanted a lot of money for things. I'm chalking that up to that it cost more to have a booth there, I'm fine with that though. Many dealers all echoed the same thing, "I won't be having a booth next year" many people I think we're just blowing smoke.

All in all I'm sure the twins will learn form this and make it better all around next year. And one final closing thought. At least it was better the Blaine.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
The Twins did a hell of a job with Twinsfest this year, given the space constraints.

POSITIVES:

The auto stations were extremely well managed, well, the two I went to on the suite level, I did not go to station 3 or 4 so I cannot attest to those.

The interaction of players with fans was amazing. Having them play pop a shot or bags or in the batting cages with the kids, how freaking awesome is that for them? You rarely ever had this at the Dome.

Loved the radio show location. In the Dome, all it did was echo if you were not close by, the stages back was to the floor, so you had to be in the seats to see or hear. At TF, they faced out to the people walking by and you could actually hear them.

Having access to parts of Target Field that you may never get access to again was great. Seeing all of the memorabilia display cases of Twins greats was wonderful.

Having access to the Champions Club to rest your feet was nice. The player interaction in there was also above the Dome.

I thought the higher admission price and having to buy a specific day would be a negative for me, but in the end it was a positive, as it kept the crowds down on Friday and Sunday which was nice. I hated the Dome as there were 3x the amount of people there typically and was a nuisance to navigate around the masses, at TF, that was not an issue.

The movement between floors, I know people were complaining about having to use the elevators, but I never had to wait more than 2-3 minutes to get on one, so I didnt see any issues here.

Having the field lite up Friday night when it was snowing was very very cool. You could go outside of the Legends Club and take pictures.

NEGATIVES:

The Sports Card and Memorabilia Show, was dark and cooler down there, not a ton of room to navigate. Word is, they will adjust this for next year.

The Yard Sale, too small of an area to have this. They should have had this in a bigger room to navigate people in and out.

Overall, I think TF was a great alternate location.
Anyone that thought the Twins were going to get it 100% right the first year were kidding themselves.
The Twins will take the feedback and adjust for next year.
I give the overall event (based on being there Friday and Sunday) a grade of B.

yrocks2001

Jan 24, 2011
The Twins do seem dedicated to providing a quality experience. They had multiple volunteers walking around asking people's opinions on their experiences at the event. I was thrilled with how everything was handled. The people managing the Mauer line should be recognized, as managing a line is the most thankless job at Twinsfest and these people shuffled more people through the line than I could ever imagine in an hour and a half.

TwinGnats

May 25, 2010
Fridley, MN
I thought you didn't understand what my statement was, I apologize for upsetting you. I actually wasn't aware that you could write off over and above value (tax accounting puts me to sleep). If that is indeed the case then in the situation presented if the person purchasing the item is at $150,000 income then they are in the 28% tax bracket. The "actual" donation will be $1944.00 where they will be able to lower their tax exposure by $756 but the Twins community fund still collects the full $2700 "donation". Of course this is a highly simplistic example and the way tax law is, there could be a number of other things that impact how much they get to write off in dollar value.
Ok you are right. Happy?

Yes you can. But let's say for those all star tickets, bidder paid 2700 over value, bidder does get 2700 back by "writing it off", it ends up being a percentage.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
The Twins do seem dedicated to providing a quality experience. They had multiple volunteers walking around asking people's opinions on their experiences at the event. I was thrilled with how everything was handled. The people managing the Mauer line should be recognized, as managing a line is the most thankless job at Twinsfest and these people shuffled more people through the line than I could ever imagine in an hour and a half.

Mauer line was amazing. The lady feeding items to Mauer was a machine, as was Joe.

yrocks2001

Jan 24, 2011
Did anyone get an extra Nolasco on a 2013 Topps Heritage that they are looking to move? I got every other remaining Twins player at Twinsfest except Nolasco and wanted to add him to my set as well. I got an extra 2013 Heritage High Number Pelfrey signed in black if you want to trade or signed Heritage minors cards of Kepler and Berrios.

Greg Cleveland

Aug 9, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States
The Twins did a hell of a job with Twinsfest this year, given the space constraints.

POSITIVES:

The auto stations were extremely well managed, well, the two I went to on the suite level, I did not go to station 3 or 4 so I cannot attest to those.

The interaction of players with fans was amazing. Having them play pop a shot or bags or in the batting cages with the kids, how freaking awesome is that for them? You rarely ever had this at the Dome.

Loved the radio show location. In the Dome, all it did was echo if you were not close by, the stages back was to the floor, so you had to be in the seats to see or hear. At TF, they faced out to the people walking by and you could actually hear them.

Having access to parts of Target Field that you may never get access to again was great. Seeing all of the memorabilia display cases of Twins greats was wonderful.

Having access to the Champions Club to rest your feet was nice. The player interaction in there was also above the Dome.

I thought the higher admission price and having to buy a specific day would be a negative for me, but in the end it was a positive, as it kept the crowds down on Friday and Sunday which was nice. I hated the Dome as there were 3x the amount of people there typically and was a nuisance to navigate around the masses, at TF, that was not an issue.

The movement between floors, I know people were complaining about having to use the elevators, but I never had to wait more than 2-3 minutes to get on one, so I didnt see any issues here.

Having the field lite up Friday night when it was snowing was very very cool. You could go outside of the Legends Club and take pictures.

NEGATIVES:

The Sports Card and Memorabilia Show, was dark and cooler down there, not a ton of room to navigate. Word is, they will adjust this for next year.

The Yard Sale, too small of an area to have this. They should have had this in a bigger room to navigate people in and out.

Overall, I think TF was a great alternate location.
Anyone that thought the Twins were going to get it 100% right the first year were kidding themselves.
The Twins will take the feedback and adjust for next year.
I give the overall event (based on being there Friday and Sunday) a grade of B.

Think I have to agree with everything you said here. Wish I could have gone on Sunday, but it will be good to see what adjustments they make for next year. Still, I put Twinsfest head and shoulders above any other baseball teams' Fanfest. Our thread is 20+ pages! All the other teams' fests combined can't cover half that. It's not so much about thow many Twins fans are here, but how well the Twins put on the show, how those of us who have been there a few times help the newbies out, and how it really is the best show of its kind. Read the threads from the other teams' fests. One day? A few current and some ex-players there? No card show? They could really take a hint at how the Twins do this. And remember, the first Twinsfest was in 1991--after the team finished in last place the year before.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
That's what I thought.

I think the Twins did a good job, but they can build upon some things and rework others. I guess that can be said for everything, especially in the world of conventions and fan fests.

It far exceeded my expectations, that's for sure.

yrocks2001

Jan 24, 2011
Some of my Twinsfest haul
Pics12514-8_zpsbc57327b.jpg

Pics12514-7_zpse9a45498.jpg

Pics12514-6_zps659d0148.jpg

Pics12514-5_zpsad6a4774.jpg

Pics12514-1_zps14f5fd07.jpg

Pics12514-2_zps8892aaf2.jpg

Latest posts