Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Suing topps!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I dont think anyone is saying they dont care about the secondary market.....I just think it is good business to not comment on market value.

It's been brought up before by people saying they were told that topps does not recognize secondary market value. By the reps themselves no less. It seems topps does care when it suits them to do so.

They offered you product worth $1000
You're suing for the $1000

That's silly and convoluted. You have a fair offer and have made a decision to put your cape and skivvies on to save the hobby. The way you save the hobby isn't grandstanding and going all martyr. It's by putting your money in something else.

I hear leaf makes a redemption free product.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
most likely Topps will not even know about this case. Topps (much like a lot of big businesses) has people who deal in these things. Its there job. The CEO and so forth with never even know any of this will happen. People talk of Topps like it is a one thing where Topps is a HUGE companie with thousands of people working in many departments and areas. And yes they have a legal team that deals with this stuff every day. So most likely the owner of Topps or even the big wigs will not even hear about this... Sad I know....they will most likely settle and not even go anywhere and forget about it the next day. To Topps they just don't care enough....

NeedChapmans

Aug 19, 2012
They offered you product worth $1000
You're suing for the $1000

That's silly and convoluted. You have a fair offer and have made a decision to put your cape and skivvies on to save the hobby. The way you save the hobby isn't grandstanding and going all martyr. It's by putting your money in something else.

I hear leaf makes a redemption free product.

Well, I would argue that the case of Bowman Jumbo is not worth $1,000 and even if you disagree to that, I redeemed one high end Harper and feel I am due one (or a few) high end cards as a replacement. If you think trading my one card for 3,072 of them is fair, then please let me know what high end cards you have and I will gladly trade you thousands and thousands of 2012 Bowman Chrome and Draft prospects for them (of equal or greater value).

most likely Topps will not even know about this case. Topps (much like a lot of big businesses) has people who deal in these things. Its there job. The CEO and so forth with never even know any of this will happen. People talk of Topps like it is a one thing where Topps is a HUGE companie with thousands of people working in many departments and areas. And yes they have a legal team that deals with this stuff every day. So most likely the owner of Topps or even the big wigs will not even hear about this... Sad I know....they will most likely settle and not even go anywhere and forget about it the next day. To Topps they just don't care enough....

I've emailed the CEO, COO and General Legal counsel of Topps regularly thoughout this process. They were copied in on all communications to and from me during the negotiation stage (that lasted 7 months), so they are very aware of the situation and the claim. Just two days ago, Topps customer service deferred me to their legal counsel because they say they can no longer try and fill this replacement as it is a legal matter (a voicemail to their general counsel was not returned).

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Well, I would argue that the case of Bowman Jumbo is not worth $1,000 and even if you disagree to that, I redeemed one high end Harper and feel I am due one (or a few) high end cards as a replacement. If you think trading my one card for 3,072 of them is fair, then please let me know what high end cards you have and I will gladly trade you thousands and thousands of 2012 Bowman Chrome and Draft prospects for them (of equal or greater value).

I've emailed the CEO, COO and General Legal counsel of Topps regularly thoughout this process. They were copied in on all communications to and from me during the negotiation stage (that lasted 7 months), so they are very aware of the situation and the claim. Just two days ago, Topps customer service deferred me to their legal counsel because they say they can no longer try and fill this replacement as it is a legal matter (a voicemail to their general counsel was not returned).

Well of course they will no longer try and fill your redeption...you filed suit against them. Its now in the lawyers hands.
Why are you even trying to negotiate with them at this point. You wanted your day in court and you will get it! Customer Service is done trying to assist you.

I know your principled lawsuit might find you with either the same settlement you were offered or nothing at all! As others have mentioned before (and I think I mentioned it too).....there are better ways to fight this fight than to take them to small claims court where you will get the same or less than you would have had 7 months ago.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
I will agree that they don't care, but topps is not the giant faceless corporation you think it is.

Compared to many other similarly sized companies, topps is barely staffed.

I could also argue that your card is not worth $1,000. 10/25 has failed to sell at $999. 4x two graded 9.5s have failed to sell at $1300 and $1400. Only once in ebays searchable history has this card reached $999. If you plan on using data from eBay as evidence you better be prepared to discount the volatile nature of the secondary market.

You are asking for $1000 plus fees. They are offering you very close to $1000 in product. Wether you like it or not that is a fair offer and equal trade out.

It's established you are not getting what I think we all agree is owed to you. It's also established you are I'll prepared to accept a reasonable solution to this problem.

It seems to me you're more interested in being the hobby Jesus than being square with topps.

Members online