User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone With Experiences Selling Complete Sets on ebay?

diamondlegends
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone With Experiences Selling Complete Sets on ebay?

OK, ended up submitting everything to Huggins and Scott. Well, not EVERYTHING as I still have a ton of modern crap to deal with but this is the stuff I figured would work best in an auction house. One person anyway asked for updates/links so I posted the links to the three listings below which won't actually start for a few weeks but they are posted. Once again, many thanks to [MENTION=3417]Liberate Baltimore[/MENTION] for the assist on this one.

https://www.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-b...d=100&lotno=81

https://www.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-b...d=100&lotno=38

https://www.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-b...d=271&lotno=92
    Last edited by RiceLynnEvans75; 01-15-2014 at 10:32 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RiceLynnEvans75 View Post
    Just looking to see if anyone has had any experiences selling complete sets on ebay before and if you had any particular issues once they received the cards. Have a '55 Topps complete set, mostly raw but the key cards graded by SGC aside from the Clemente RC which is PSA. Ideally I had thought about selling it off piece by piece but really, just don't want to deal with the time it'll take as I've got a bunch of other stuff to do individually. I've looked at past completed listings for ideas and seen feedback but that doesn't always indicate if there were any other issues that went down. The set is primarily VG to EX/MT with a few outliers as well. I plan on doing front scans of all the cards which are currently in pages (scan of whole page) and obviously front scans of the graded cards.

Any and all insight is appreciated. Thanks!
    Why sell on ebay when you can consign to a major auction house? You usually will receive a higher price realized, a competitive if not better consignment rate and would only be dealing with pre-screened high-end bidders. Plus, the auction house would do all of the scanning, descriptions, shipping along with the customer service aspect. Selling an item like that on ebay and you're just asking for problems!

diamondlegends
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberate Baltimore View Post
    Why sell on ebay when you can consign to a major auction house? You usually will receive a higher price realized, a competitive if not better consignment rate and would only be dealing with pre-screened high-end bidders. Plus, the auction house would do all of the scanning, descriptions, shipping along with the customer service aspect. Selling an item like that on ebay and you're just asking for problems!
    That thought has run across my mind as well. Huggins and Scott is only about a 45 minute trip from me so might be a safer option.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plus you're talking to the person who would write the set! I'm the Head Writer at H&S.

diamondlegends
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plus you're talking to the person who would write the set! I'm the Head Writer at H&S.
    Ha!

I just got off the phone with them. Thought I missed the deadline for February but was told I can bring it in anytime this week up until Friday. Probably best to just avoid the potential headaches.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't auction houses take 30% off the top though?

diamondlegends
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SINFULONE View Post
    Don't auction houses take 30% off the top though?
    According to the H&S form, it's 15-20%. For them doing all the work and dealing with headaches I think it's worth it. For me anyway.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is 15% that sell for over $1000 and 20% under $1000. You can also bring anything else in that has a "fighting shot" at $500.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RiceLynnEvans75 View Post
    According to the H&S form, it's 15-20%. For them doing all the work and dealing with headaches I think it's worth it. For me anyway.
    OK.Sounds like good deal then.Can you set reserve?If so, are fees higher with reserve?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We don't encourage reserves as if they're not met we lost money on our printed catalog costs. If a consignor absolutely requires a reserve, we ask they pay $250 if that reserve is not met.

diamondlegends
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is 15% that sell for over $1000 and 20% under $1000. You can also bring anything else in that has a "fighting shot" at $500.
    A few other things in the $200-$300 range so no go there. Already dumped my T206 cards a year ago.

diamondlegends
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to give a shout out [MENTION=3417]Liberate Baltimore[/MENTION] with the assist on this one and popping up in this thread for the advice.

Was out of work early today as my son had school cancelled so we took a drive up to the House of Cards in Silver Spring, MD and spoke with Bill Huggins of Huggins and Scott auctions. Ended up dropping off the '55 Topps set, an 11 card lot of modern graded RCs from '80-'01, and a large mixed lot of vintage graded cards that included HOFers so they took everything I brought in. After speaking with Bill, sounds like I might be dumping off all my signed baseballs/photos with them as well in the near future for another auction. Hoping the collection dump continues to go smoothly and Bill was a great and friendly person to deal and talk with. I highly recommend stopping by the shop if you're ever around the Silver Spring area.

And for those wondering, they are only taking a 10% commission fee so for me anyway, this method is by far superior to ebay for anything like this.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What were the rookies you sent them?

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you scored a great consign deal. Keep the thread posted w results if ya can I'm curious. Do you have a number you trying to hit w/ the set or the other items ?

Ryan
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ODDBALL, REGIONAL, TEAM ISSUED, VARIATIONS, AND TOUGH CARDS OF WILL CLARK AND MIKE BROWN

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I'd ever sell a nice set in complete form. Odds are good you can probably top out the full set price by selling all of the key cards separately, if there are enough "keys" and they are nice. Have no experience with an auction house, but it seems these days you probably have a lot of the same buyers as an audience either way. I can't imagine an auction house buyer would discount ebay as a source for items they want and I presume many ebayers also participate in auction house sales. Sounds like for 10% though, it may be worth it to avoid the headache of selling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast