Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Finshed my first TTM IP Autographed Set *scans*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gogosox40

Mar 16, 2010
Chicagoland
Just wanted to show off my first completed set of IP/TTM Autographs. I am trying to build complete Topps White Sox sets through the years and I just completed the 1985 Topps Set. This year is one of the Sox longest checklists comprising of 42 cards. The last card I have been trying to nab was the Ozzie Guillen XRC.
Overtime I will upgrade some of the off centered ones and one of the Carlton Fisks since there are additional marker marks on the front.

19821_zps3fd399c1.jpg

19822_zps277ebbc8.jpg

19823_zps89677a12.jpg

19824_zps4519845e.jpg

19825_zpseb095afe.jpg

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
Great stuff! Did you acquire all these yourself or were some trades/pick-ups?

Any other years/sets you're working on?

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
That's impressive. How did you get Fisk's autograph? TTM or IP? He's a tough one.

I did the same with the 1987 Topps Rangers set.
Most of the autographs I got before Ranger games at the old Arlington Stadium in 1987, and a few guys who were traded I got TTM.
There were no big stars on that team like Fisk or Seaver, so it was easy to complete.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Isn't Ricky Wright in that 87 Topps Rangers team set, or was he a traded card. That is one damn near impossible card. Just saw one sell on ebay for crazy money. I can't remember how much, but I want to say $1000+.

Nice job on the CWS set. i like those Guillen and Salazar traded cards.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Besides the Guillen, what was the toughest one to get? Not talking more expensive (Fisk, Seaver), but harder to find at all. I think most of these guys are fairly attainable for the most part. I guess Agosto, Reed and Gamble seem to be a little tougher than average off the top of my head from auto shopping experiences I've had. Are any of the other commons what you'd call hidden toughies? Say Al Jones, for example? Can't say I come across one for sale (not that I would be looking, but have seen several 85T set breaks and don't remember noticing him).

gogosox40

Mar 16, 2010
Chicagoland
Thanks everyone. I was becoming board with the current state of the hobby and lack of Sox autos and wanted to start a project. I acquired nearly half of the in a 1985 set break from another collector which included the two Fisks. Actually Fisk just did a signing not too long ago through a member on Sports Collectors.net which I got a few cards signed in other year sets. I only got a few IP which included the Daryl Boston & Greg Walker since they are/were coaches for the Sox.
I enjoy doing the TTM or trading/buying the from other collectors or ebay since I don't have the time or the will/want to wait around for players autographs.

TTM: Ron Kittle, Richard Dotson, Mike Squires, Joel Skinner, Vance Law, Bannister, Bert Roberge & Ron Reed

Don't get me wrong I still love prospects but I am working on every year from 1952-present. I have about half done with 1957, 1986, 1984. I am about 75% complete with the 1964 set. I know it is nearly impossible to complete but since starting this project I got to learn a lot about the players and White Sox history. I was born in 82 so I like learning about the history of my beloved White Sox.

gogosox40

Mar 16, 2010
Chicagoland
Besides the Guillen, what was the toughest one to get? Not talking more expensive (Fisk, Seaver), but harder to find at all. I think most of these guys are fairly attainable for the most part. I guess Agosto, Reed and Gamble seem to be a little tougher than average off the top of my head from auto shopping experiences I've had. Are any of the other commons what you'd call hidden toughies? Say Al Jones, for example? Can't say I come across one for sale (not that I would be looking, but have seen several 85T set breaks and don't remember noticing him).

You nailed it right on the head. Al Jones was the toughest. I was searching for over a year and one popped up on ebay and had to grab it. Actually the Jerry Dybzinski and Gene Nelson was a hard one as well. Dybzinki was hard to find in this year.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Yes, Nelson is another that seems to be tough. i needed him on several mariner cards and they seldom showed themselves and would sometimes net huge prices when they did.

I have done similar with Dodgers and Mariners, but off the top of my head I am not sure I have a complete run of any year. Always seem to be missing 1-2 each year, or more.

Members online

Latest posts