User Tag List

Thread: What's left for a player's "hobby career"?

olerud363
     @olerud363
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's left for a player's "hobby career"?

With the HoF announcement today, it got me thinking... what milestones are left for a guy after retirement that could influence his card values? During his career there are lots: ML debut, a breakout season, hitting a milestone, etc.

After retirement, election to the HoF might cause a spike in interest. There are also hobby-related things like a previously tough signer having autos included in a set. Other than that, would the guy's death be the only hobby-influencing factor left?

- Rodrick
    Collecting John Olerud cards and memorabilia.
    My hobby website: www.cardboardcorner.weebly.com

Thanks to JBel4331 for the awesome custom signature and avatar!

maxe0213
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say HOF Induction, Death, and other crazy news worth occurences (Aaron Hernandez murdered someone and his card prices jumped). Anything that gets them front and center in the news for multiple days in a row typically will cause a slight bump.
    Always buying chrome slabs from 2012-2014 at up to 100% of ebay!

Always buying raw chrome from 2013-2014 at up to 90% of ebay!

All subject to players, condition, prices, sellers, among other variables.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would see a successful political career affecting the value of a player's cards.
    Eddie

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A player becoming a popular announcer or commentator on ESPN or the MLB Network increases the demand for their cards, but probably not enough for a noticable spike in prices.

I'm sure many fans have started collecting the cards of former players who have great personalities like Harold Reynolds, Kevin Millar, Sean Casey, Mitch Williams and others because they like watching them on the MLB Network.
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

piledriver1
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are several instances of a player becoming even more, or at least otherwise, prominent in a new field. Politics is an obvious one (Jack Kemp, Jim Bunning). Acting is another (Chuck Connors). Sportscasting is also one, though it's not really a different field and there are very few people who are really good at it, let alone people who were players. Football seems better suited to former players, though, with a limited number of games engendering endless discussion each week. Coming out with a notable book is something people have done, too (Jim Bouton, Jose Canseco). Most players, though, seem to fade into the background, going into business or other profession with varying degrees of success (be like Dr. Mike Marshall not Dykstra or Schilling).
    Looking for 2011 Topps Marquee Museum autographs, rare Frank Thomases, and any Grady Sizemores I don't have

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Becoming a manager can help.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dancing with the Stars!

olerud363
     @olerud363
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [MENTION=1900]Austin[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2077]smapdi[/MENTION] immediately made me think of Bob Uecker. He's someone who fits the category of being much better known after his playing days were over. He was a mediocre-at-best player, and is more well known as an actor and broadcaster. I don't imagine people collect his cards for the stats on the back!

- Rodrick
    Collecting John Olerud cards and memorabilia.
    My hobby website: www.cardboardcorner.weebly.com

Thanks to JBel4331 for the awesome custom signature and avatar!