Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What's left for a player's "hobby career"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
With the HoF announcement today, it got me thinking... what milestones are left for a guy after retirement that could influence his card values? During his career there are lots: ML debut, a breakout season, hitting a milestone, etc.

After retirement, election to the HoF might cause a spike in interest. There are also hobby-related things like a previously tough signer having autos included in a set. Other than that, would the guy's death be the only hobby-influencing factor left?

- Rodrick

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
I would say HOF Induction, Death, and other crazy news worth occurences (Aaron Hernandez murdered someone and his card prices jumped). Anything that gets them front and center in the news for multiple days in a row typically will cause a slight bump.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
A player becoming a popular announcer or commentator on ESPN or the MLB Network increases the demand for their cards, but probably not enough for a noticable spike in prices.

I'm sure many fans have started collecting the cards of former players who have great personalities like Harold Reynolds, Kevin Millar, Sean Casey, Mitch Williams and others because they like watching them on the MLB Network.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
There are several instances of a player becoming even more, or at least otherwise, prominent in a new field. Politics is an obvious one (Jack Kemp, Jim Bunning). Acting is another (Chuck Connors). Sportscasting is also one, though it's not really a different field and there are very few people who are really good at it, let alone people who were players. Football seems better suited to former players, though, with a limited number of games engendering endless discussion each week. Coming out with a notable book is something people have done, too (Jim Bouton, Jose Canseco). Most players, though, seem to fade into the background, going into business or other profession with varying degrees of success (be like Dr. Mike Marshall not Dykstra or Schilling).

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Becoming a manager can help.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
[MENTION=1900]Austin[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2077]smapdi[/MENTION] immediately made me think of Bob Uecker. He's someone who fits the category of being much better known after his playing days were over. He was a mediocre-at-best player, and is more well known as an actor and broadcaster. I don't imagine people collect his cards for the stats on the back!

- Rodrick

Members online