User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Republican Ideas on fighting poverty...

  1. #1
    Administrator phillyfan0417's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
    Posts
    40,800
     tse-investments
     phillyfan0417
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Republican Ideas on fighting poverty...

    I have to say they are really hitting a different tune and seem ready to focus on the root problem which is a culture of poverty. If they are serious and it seems like some of them are, I truly hope they start sharing some of their ideas because we will go bankrupt by not doing something...

    https://news.yahoo.com/republicans-pr...-election.html
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    --Winston Churchill

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    668
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Republicans have never been against fighting poverty. Or at least the respectable ones haven't. They just don't believe a centralized federal government is the tool to get it done. Looking at the results since LBJ's War on Poverty (and even before that) it is hard to argue with that conclusion.

    Attacking conservatives for not wanting to help the poor is dirty pool, shill, and largely untrue (you can always find idiot exceptions). Just because you don't support "helping" the poor via the federal government, it doesn't follow that you don't want to help the poor.

    I hope this truly represents a change in messaging and new ideas from the Republican party, but I would be surprised. They just can't seem to get out of their own way. But educating and clearing the path out of poverty for large chunks of our society is one of the best hopes for the future of this country. I just don't think the federal government - either party - is equipped to do so (nor able to resist lining their own pockets along the way). Hope I'm wrong.

  3. #3
    Administrator phillyfan0417's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
    Posts
    40,800
     tse-investments
     phillyfan0417
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by craftysouthpaw View Post
    Republicans have never been against fighting poverty. Or at least the respectable ones haven't. They just don't believe a centralized federal government is the tool to get it done. Looking at the results since LBJ's War on Poverty (and even before that) it is hard to argue with that conclusion.

    Attacking conservatives for not wanting to help the poor is dirty pool, shill, and largely untrue (you can always find idiot exceptions). Just because you don't support "helping" the poor via the federal government, it doesn't follow that you don't want to help the poor.

    I hope this truly represents a change in messaging and new ideas from the Republican party, but I would be surprised. They just can't seem to get out of their own way. But educating and clearing the path out of poverty for large chunks of our society is one of the best hopes for the future of this country. I just don't think the federal government - either party - is equipped to do so (nor able to resist lining their own pockets along the way). Hope I'm wrong.

    I believe their approach would be to let the states manage the programs...
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    --Winston Churchill

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    668
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what is sounds like. Better than the Feds I guess. At least they are putting something out there for once.

  5. #5
    Administrator phillyfan0417's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
    Posts
    40,800
     tse-investments
     phillyfan0417
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by craftysouthpaw View Post
    That's what is sounds like. Better than the Feds I guess. At least they are putting something out there for once.
    Agreed. i dont think there is anyone who can deny the fact we're being buried by entitlements. I think the issue is now and always been do we give them the fish or teach them how to fish.

    In my ideal world, we'd do both for a little while until they can fish.
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    --Winston Churchill

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    668
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See people on differing ends of the political spectrum can agree on things! Let's form a mixed ticket and change the world!

  7. #7
    Administrator phillyfan0417's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
    Posts
    40,800
     tse-investments
     phillyfan0417
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by craftysouthpaw View Post
    See people on differing ends of the political spectrum can agree on things! Let's form a mixed ticket and change the world!

    LOL

    Agreed!
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    --Winston Churchill

  8. #8
    Senior Member hive17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    20,083
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem for the Republicans in attracting people like me is that I stopped holding my breath waiting for ANY ideas from the them, not just opposition to the status-quo of entitlements-with-no-end.
    "I'm an acquired taste; if you don't like me, you should acquire some taste!"-- Stephen Colbert

    Trade album Personal Collection

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    668
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hive17 View Post
    The problem for the Republicans in attracting people like me is that I stopped holding my breath waiting for ANY ideas from the them, not just opposition to the status-quo of entitlements-with-no-end.
    In fairness I think they do float ideas, bring Bills to the floor with alternatives, etc. but they don't get any traction publicity-wise. You can jump to your own conclusions as to why.

    On healthcare for example, there have been multiple plans or ideas throughout the years but all you hear from Democrats and a healthy portion of the media is "they have no ideas". And those cries have done a very good job of getting a lot of people to believe that sentiment. Google Republican healthcare alternatives and they are out there. You have to wade through links from mouthpieces on both the left and the right but there are plenty of "neutral" sources that discuss them. As well as outlines directly from Republican Congressman. Take those for what you will.

    But I understand your larger point.

  10. #10
    Administrator phillyfan0417's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
    Posts
    40,800
     tse-investments
     phillyfan0417
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by craftysouthpaw View Post
    In fairness I think they do float ideas, bring Bills to the floor with alternatives, etc. but they don't get any traction publicity-wise. You can jump to your own conclusions as to why.

    On healthcare for example, there have been multiple plans or ideas throughout the years but all you hear from Democrats and a healthy portion of the media is "they have no ideas". And those cries have done a very good job of getting a lot of people to believe that sentiment. Google Republican healthcare alternatives and they are out there. You have to wade through links from mouthpieces on both the left and the right but there are plenty of "neutral" sources that discuss them. As well as outlines directly from Republican Congressman. Take those for what you will.

    But I understand your larger point.


    The biggest problem with the ACA is the lack of collaboration that occured. The major talking points of the right were valid issues:

    tort Reform
    Border security (illiegal immigrations impact on ER's)


    I always forget the third one. The issue for both sides was that compromise is out of fashion in Washington, its either one thing or the other thing.
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    --Winston Churchill

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,312
     Bryan770
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyfan0417 View Post
    The biggest problem with the ACA is the lack of collaboration that occured. The major talking points of the right were valid issues:

    tort Reform
    Border security (illiegal immigrations impact on ER's)


    I always forget the third one. The issue for both sides was that compromise is out of fashion in Washington, its either one thing or the other thing.
    As I said before, the biggest issue with healthcare in this country are the fees charged consumers who in most cases don't have the ability to shop around for the lowest cost provider on emergency or necessary services. In some Hospitals, an operation to remove an appendix due to appendicidis is $10K out the door. At the hospital next door its $55K. There is no rhyme, justification or reason to what is charged for health services in this country, and its done under the guise of "free enterprise".

    That said, I think we can all agree that Entitlement and the culture it creates IS crushing this country. I agree with you though Tim....its a mixture of teach a man to fish, but feeding him while he learns. The problem with that system is that it takes engagement and want to change, both from the participants and administrators of the program. Its a lot easier to let the giant machine crank its wheels and spit out a check monthly than to guide people to better and higher choices.

  12. #12
    Senior Member hive17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    20,083
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More specifically towards poverty, the Republicans work against their own ends when they strive to outlaw abortion. I'm not for abortion as a form of entitlement control, but you can't argue the fact that forcing people to have children that will go right on the government system is counter-productive to stemming entitlement spending.

  13. #13
    Administrator phillyfan0417's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
    Posts
    40,800
     tse-investments
     phillyfan0417
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see it this way.

    With the exception of those certified as disabled, the elderly and those who have served and brought back the scars of that service be it physical or mental, everyone else needs to be on a clock with their entitlements. When I say that, on a clock with entitlements and NOT working. If you're not working and choose to continue to have children, you lose benefits, if you choose to quit school and not go to work, you get nothing. You get caught commiting fraud, you go to jail.

    The fact is the vast majority of those on entitlements work hard and just need some support to make ends meet. We need to put more money towards educating and training them. We need to set up our schools to let people choose a path, be it science, professional or a trade.

    We need to work on making sure people can earn a living wage and pay into the system.
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    --Winston Churchill

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    4,813
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trickle down's gonna happen any day now!
    “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson

    "We will bankrupt ourselves in the vain search for absolute security." - Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower

    "I believe in an America where millions of Americans believe in an America that's the America millions of Americans believe in. That's the America I love." – Willard Romney

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    4,813
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bmc398 View Post
    That said, I think we can all agree that Entitlement and the culture it creates IS crushing this country.
    I agree with you to a point. I think that entitlements for the poor and the wealthy/corporations are crushing the country. But when the entitlements get cut why are the cuts coming to the people who would suffer the most from them?
    “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson

    "We will bankrupt ourselves in the vain search for absolute security." - Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower

    "I believe in an America where millions of Americans believe in an America that's the America millions of Americans believe in. That's the America I love." – Willard Romney

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •