Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What does your gf, wife or significant other think of the hobby or your PC? Do they know?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Thought of this tonight when my wife was asking me about my collection and now the player website I'm building...

In general, I don't think she know much at all about the hobby or what is involved with it, etc. I also don't think she has a single clue how much money I've spent or anything - just to be clear, it's not like I'm breaking the bank or ruining us financially, so nothing evil going on here.

I think she knows I collect baseball cards... she knows Albert Belle is my focus and what I enjoy collecting... she thinks it keeps me busy, is a hobby and makes me happy - so she just lets me do what I want and trusts I'm not mortgaging the house or something on the hobby haha

Got me thinking though - What about you?

I'm sure some out there have NO idea about the hobby and hide it all or some that might even have their "other" be involved with them in the hobby, etc. I'm also particularly interested in someone who has a casual girlfriend or something... like do they know or do you tell them? I can see some girls thinking it's childish or just stupid or something - glad my wife didn't fall into this category.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
She XXXXing hates it. She thinks I'm gay for Josh Johnson and probably would slap him if she met him.

edit, as I just read your post to her, Mac and my response.

She said she pull me by my beard and take Josh Johnson's head and slam us together. Then she made some Filipina noises (frustrated, not sexually though, noises).

Last edited:

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
My gf knows about my collection, knows how much it's cost me, but hasn't seen it yet. But she's quite interested in it, so I'm excited to share it with her

pac_rat_76

Aug 10, 2008
Minnesota
My g/f knows all about it. She used to encourage me to buy things and would sit and open packs with me. Opening packs was really the only thing she liked about it as she would leave all the sorting to me of course! She used to always pull the "hits" and tell me that she was the lucky one. It's a little different these days with a 2-year old. She pretty much just leaves me alone when I'm in my man cave and knows that it is my "sanctuary".

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
My gf knows about my collection, knows how much it's cost me, but hasn't seen it yet. But she's quite interested in it, so I'm excited to share it with her

Sounds like a winner to me! Clearly if she thought it was stupid or something, it might not work out or you might be exiting the hobby early ;)

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
My g/f knows all about it. She used to encourage me to buy things and would sit and open packs with me. Opening packs was really the only thing she liked about it as she would leave all the sorting to me of course! She used to always pull the "hits" and tell me that she was the lucky one. It's a little different these days with a 2-year old. She pretty much just leaves me alone when I'm in my man cave and knows that it is my "sanctuary".
Haha that's funny - sometimes I think how I would be if my wife was actually really interested and wanted to know more and open packs and be involved with me... I think I'm better off her just not caring enough to dig deeper lol

As for the man cave, I wish I had one... working on that but when I get one, it'll be a baseball card haven!

Sig40cal

Jul 23, 2012
Atlantic Highlands, NJ
The Mrs. hates it, and the piles of cards I left everywhere probably didn't help. She knows I was dumping the majority of my spare income into it for the better part of 2 baseball seasons.

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ
My ex of 4 years knew I collected in the past, but I don't think she was aware that I still was collecting a bit while we were together. Never really had an interest, so I never talked about it.

Now that I'm single, no one besides my parents know. I don't think any of my lifelong friends even have the slightest clue.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
There's a long thread about this on here somewhere.

There are some guys I genuinely feel sorry for with the way their other views their hobby, and with the way some of them view their marriages...lol

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
The Mrs. hates it, and the piles of cards I left everywhere probably didn't help. She knows I was dumping the majority of my spare income into it for the better part of 2 baseball seasons.

Yea, I can see a lot of women thinking that there isn't any savings because it all goes to cards, etc.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX

There are some guys I genuinely feel sorry for with the way their other views their hobby, and with the way some of them view their marriages...lol

Ahh I couldn't remember if someone did this a while back or not, couldn't find it anyways.... I'm just really curious about everyone's situation because I have to imagine some are totally on board and even collect and then the other side of the spectrum where it's like a hidden hobby and the wife has no clue they even collect :lol:

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
What does your gf, wife or significant other think

Well jeez, which one do you want us to pick?

Haha I didn't know the best way to title but it's whoever you're with... Don't over think it... Unless you have a few of course ;)

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada

Yep, you're right. http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126394

I wouldn't say my wife supports my hobby, more like she tolerates it. I don't spend tons on it since we have 3 kids with their various programs and child care costs, a mortgage, college and retirement savings, etc, so we never argue about the cost of my hobby. I don't expect her to be interested in cards, but it would be nice to get even a pack in my Christmas stocking one year! :rolleyes:

- Rodrick

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Yellow padded envelopes in the mail, money / bank statements, expanding storage/increased # of boxes, time put into "shopping"...I can't believe someone could 1. Try to hide it, and 2. Want to hide it. I joke about it here online, but my wife knows 100% what I do. As an "old school" collector, I think she's probably just happy I am not a complete nut with packs, boxes, and nonstop buying/selling. I put as much time/money into cards as she does with Nordstroms! That being said, she is a Gwynn fan, but doesn't really care about "worth, rarity, numbering,etc" of any memorabilia. She does not share the same excitement over some weird Gwynn pin as I do, but supports and celebrates my happiness.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I can't believe someone could 1. Try to hide it, and 2. Want to hide it.

Totally agree here.

I think my wife is just happy I'm not spending my money on other things like drugs or something lol

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
My wife supports and is well aware of my hobby. Actually, during the summer she would go to antique stores, garage sales etc and send me pics of cards she finds that are either very old, a yankee, or any large amounts of cards the seller is selling. Last summer, I think I spent almost $1500 in cards alone.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
The sad part is, since fcb was put together i have seen good members get into divorce and or lose significant other over this hobby. I think the most important think about being with someone is to not lie or hide anything of your hobby as ultimately it will create problems and could get ugly. My current girlfriend is in and out with interest. There are days she wants to know a lot and days she doesnt really care. I dont mind either way. On the flip side i take care of my girlfreind with her own hobby, lol, so she potientially has no say in what i spend or do hobby wise.

Sent from my XT555C using Tapatalk 2

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
The sad part is, since fcb was put together i have seen good members get into divorce and or lose significant other over this hobby. I think the most important think about being with someone is to not lie or hide anything of your hobby as ultimately it will create problems and could get ugly. My current girlfriend is in and out with interest. There are days she wants to know a lot and days she doesnt really care. I dont mind either way. On the flip side i take care of my girlfreind with her own hobby, lol, so she potientially has no say in what i spend or do hobby wise.

Sent from my XT555C using Tapatalk 2

I'm in the same boat, my wife supports my card collecting so in return, I got her back when she goes Fire King Hunting

Members online

Latest posts