Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1996 Pacific Printing Plates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I just got a printing plate from of Biggio from 1996 Pacific Collection, but when I looked on Beckett and my list...There are no printing plates listed?

What do I have?

The thing I am thinking is its from 1998 Pacific, as there is no design on the back, and I think I have the Cyan Front:

1998 Pinnacle Press Plates Cyan Front #50

Its got the same design as the 1996 card, but has nothing on the back

Any help? Here is the ebay link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-1-Craig-B...akeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
I'm willing to bet that is a fake plate. Here is why.

1. Foil is applied after the printing, so anything that is foil on the card would not show up on the plate. The pacific logo looks like foil on the base card, yet it shows up on the plate.

2. Look at the top of the plate and it is nearly even with his hat. If you look at the card, there is more picture showing. The plate image would never be smaller than what is shown on the card, as it is transferred from plate to card. When you fake a plate, (going from card to metal) the image is always shrunken like this plate.

I would get your money back.

Courtesy of COMC.com

$T2eC16h,!)QFIbF0hwfdBSbuoppGdg~~60_57.JPG

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL

1. Foil is applied after the printing, so anything that is foil on the card would not show up on the plate. The pacific logo looks like foil on the base card, yet it shows up on the plate.

2. Look at the top of the plate and it is nearly even with his hat. If you look at the card, there is more picture showing. The plate image would never be smaller than what is shown on the card, as it is transferred from plate to card. When you fake a plate, (going from card to metal) the image is always shrunken like this plate.

I would get your money back.

Courtesy of COMC.com

I agree here. I admit I got taken on a few of these years ago. I really don't know who would fake them though, as the ROI doesn't seem high enough. But as [MENTION=5741]IUjapander[/MENTION] demonstrates, the foil is a dead giveaway. Foil application isn't 100% precise, and if you printed cards like this and then applied the foil, you'd often times have a "dropshadow" effect because placement would be a little off. I recommend staying away from any of the Pacific non-pack issued printing plates on the market.

A few regrets...
98PACIFICCCBLACK.jpg
98PACIFICPARAMOUNTFRONTCYAN.jpg
98PACIFICPARAMOUNTBACKCYAN.jpg

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY

Do you think they could have printed an outline to where the foil is suppose to go on the card? I have seen regular cards that were missing the foil on the name but the name was still there in black.

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
Do you think they could have printed an outline to where the foil is suppose to go on the card? I have seen regular cards that were missing the foil on the name but the name was still there in black.

While I can't say for certain on every card ever produced about 99% of the time they would not have an outline, and would need to see an example of what you are referring to see what happened. Like [MENTION=1845]gracecollector[/MENTION] said foil application is not perfect, hence why they would not print something, and then put foil over it.

Here is an example.

Notice "Ryan Doumit" and "C" is in foil on the base card. While I don't have the fourth plate, look at how neither of those show up on the plates.

608614578.jpg

627125997.jpg
248677374.jpg
501869282.jpg

Here is an example of foil applied after printing, if it was a printing error the whole card would be off, but this is just the foil that has gone wrong.

8081924_orig.jpg
3519047_orig.jpg

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL

And specifically on the 1996 Biggio plate, I don't think those lines in the name "Biggio" above would be on the plate, as the raised and lowered effect was created by embossing the foil at different heights, not by printing ink.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Yea, fake.

You had someone buy for you? I wish them luck in the now fight with the seller about it being fake, not wanting it, maybe not paying lol... hopefully the seller just owns it and lets it go away for your sake!

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Sorry to bump this, but I googled "1996 Pacific printing plates" and this was the 1st link to pop up. These are fake?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171357999627?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

This seller has quite a few fake plates. Seems like he (or whoever made these) is changing his method, making just back plates to avoid the issue of the foil stamping.

Here's another fake:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-1-Fernand...1561199337?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item3a923746e9

You can even see the texture of the foil.

Members online

Latest posts