Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Bud Selig - his pending legacy.....?

What will Buds legacy be?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
What do you think the commissioner of baseballs legacy will be when he leaves it all behind? In time will he be remembered as the man who gave a blind eye to PED usage for profit? Will he be remembered as the guy who took a hard stance against PED usage? Or do you think he will be remembered for something else? Personally, I think when the arc of truth comes to fruition, he is going to be remembered as the guy who allowed PED usage to happen in order to 'save baseball', then perpetrated a media witch hunt against the few for some good PR. In other words, I do not think his legacy will be good at all...

Your thoughts?

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
So, what is everyone single NFL commissioners legacy? Just curious, as the NFL has more 10 times the drug users that MLB does and Goodel doesn't get killed for it.

*NOTE, PEDS, Greenies, Drugs, etc etc were all around well before Bud came along, and were abused for 100 years by MLB players. No one gave a crap back then....

I think Selig has done a tremendous job, and honestly your poll gives one bad choice, and one backhanded choice.

He created the wild card, he increased revenue in the sport by what, five fold?

You can blame the commissioner for all the PED problems if you really want. But what about blaming the:

1. Players

2. Mangers

3. General Managers

4. Agents

5. Trainers

6. Doctors

7. Fans

Or all of the above. Because every single one played a part in it, but hey lets just blame the commissioner, its easier! YAY

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I am fully aware of the logistics and wide ranging scope of intent with regards to PEDs and how it is far reaching, however this thread is about baseball, and specificly Bud. Also, i added 'other' for anyone to fully flesh out their alternative viewpoint, as you have done.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
So, what is everyone single NFL commissioners legacy? Just curious, as the NFL has more 10 times the drug users that MLB does and Goodel doesn't get killed for it.

*NOTE, PEDS, Greenies, Drugs, etc etc were all around well before Bud came along, and were abused for 100 years by MLB players. No one gave a crap back then....

I think Selig has done a tremendous job, and honestly your poll gives one bad choice, and one backhanded choice.

He created the wild card, he increased revenue in the sport by what, five fold?

You can blame the commissioner for all the PED problems if you really want. But what about blaming the:

1. Players

2. Mangers

3. General Managers

4. Agents

5. Trainers

6. Doctors

7. Fans

Or all of the above. Because every single one played a part in it, but hey lets just blame the commissioner, its easier! YAY

+1

Put the blame on the people who cheated. Selig didn't put a needle in Bonds, Macs, Clemens, or Arod's a$$.

This is more the MLBPA's fault for protecting it's players. Baseball wanted to start testing and the MLBPA fought it.

I stole this from somewhere:
The MLBPA was initially opposed to random steroid testing, claiming it to be a violation of the privacy of players. After enormous negative publicity surrounding the alleged or actual involvement of several star players in the BALCO steroid scandal, the players dropped their opposition to a steroid testing program and developed a consensus that favored testing. Under pressure from US Congress which threatened to pass a law if the MLB's drug policy was not strengthened, the baseball union agreed in 2005 to a stricter policy that would include 50-game, 100-game, and lifetime suspensions.

Is Selig perfect? No

Is he to blame for players cheating or did he ever put a needle in Arods A$$? No

The MLBPA let it continue to protect Arods privacy.

Last edited:

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I still think history will be kinder to Selig than present opinion. Crazy time period to be commissioner

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
I never understood the resentment against Bud Selig and frankly I think it's biased as hell.

People always blame the system instead of the people at fault, it's nothing new, and it's easier than admitting our/your/their hero is a loser.

None of them have a selig auto collection dropping in price and they just found out their childhood hero is a pathetic POS.

They have to blame someone.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I never understood the resentment against Bud Selig and frankly I think it's biased as hell.
He represents the other side of the PED coin, the league and owners that have continued to profit greatly, in part because of the very PEDs that they give lip service to. I do not resent the man, and I think he's been damn good at his job. But I also cannot buy that he wants to "clean up the game." Did it bother the league and the Yankees that Arod was using in 2009? They loved him then (just as they did the more-oft mentioned home run chase of 1998). Maybe they simply didnt know, but I sense that the league and the teams only want to know so much. Right now Arod is bad for the sport and the sport's biggest franchise, so he must be given an unprecedented punishment. I don't see these actions with Arod as good for the game of baseball itself, but as good for the league and its immediate continued profitability. In that sense, I will say again that he is good at his job.

I still think history will be kinder to Selig than present opinion. Crazy time period to be commissioner
I completely agree, and he will be in the Hall of Fame in three year's time. I have his auto n his business card for my HOF collection.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008

I agree. I think he was commish for too long for him to be remembered for a single thing and honestly I've always felt (from my little vantage point) that he did a pretty good job.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
He's the owners shill. He works for them. Whats been going on with all this ped stuff aint his doing. Hes like that spokesman for saddam a clown. Jmo

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana

I think alot of bias against him stems from being a team owner and immediately taking the Commissioners position. Also, the mid-80s collusion case won him no favors with players.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
The collusion issue and the way he approached the Pete Rose issue gave fans a really bad taste of Bud Selig when he became commissioner.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Other for me. Is "dope" an option? :lol:

As in, least impressive leader in Pro Sports and that counts the hated Gary Bettman. His "down home" style made him friends of all. But he was still an owner at heart and although there was tremendous growth under his leadership I believe he fell into it.

I liked the orginal Wild Card idea and limited Interleague, but he's managed to over-kill them recently. Ugh...

A tied AS game? No WS for '94? A better leader would have avoided these and been harder on both the Umpire and Players unions, two of, if not the, strongest in the world.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Bud Selig did the only thing that could have been done with the negative issues, and had plenty of improvements. NOTHING bad that happened under him could have been handled any better.

Even the tied All Star game. I know for a FACT that he did the best thing he could to protect to player's from over-doing themselves in a "meaningless" game, which included dozens of drunk players who couldn't be bothered to drag their asses back onto the diamond. WTF was he supposed to do, call in all the Brewers that may have had Milwaukee-area? If anyone was at fault, it was Brenly and Torre for mismanaging the roster and running out of players. Selig didn't determine playing time and how many players were on the roster. He had ZERO control of anything except deciding to call it a tie and move on.

Members online

Latest posts