Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Best Offer Opinion - Just for curiosity sake........

What would you do as a seller?

• a) accept the offer

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • b) make a counteroffer

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • c) decline and make no counteroffer

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
If you see a card pop up that you want, its an auto patch, SP /199
You have looked at closing auction history and there are two that show up, one for $45 and the other for $52
Seller has card up for $120
You offer $50, and to justify your offer, you make mention of the two most recent sales, so the seller knows you are not just willy nilly lowballing.

As a seller, do you:
A) Accept the offer knowing it is a legit offer for the going rate
B) Counteroffer with $*** amount
C) Decline and make no counteroffer

Last edited:

pac_rat_76

Aug 10, 2008
Minnesota
All depends on if he/she really wants to move it. If they see the offer is right in line with previous sales, then there is no reason they shouldn't accept. If nothing else they should make a counter-offer for a little more and go from there. If it was something I was selling I would accept it.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Most of the time, when a seller has an overpriced BIN, the reasons are:

1) they paid too much for it in the first place and hope to break even.
2) it's a PC item that they don't want to sell for anything other than a super-high price.
3) they think it's going to go up in value for some reason
4) they're crazy.

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
More than likely I would accept the offer. The caveat is that if said card is of a prospect. Maybe given that it is winter, I might counter based on what I perceive to be an in-season price.

Will Style 13

Feb 9, 2012
York, PA
I'd come back with a counteroffer slightly higher than their offer. Always a chance to come down. Keep in mind I go on a limited budget so my sales fund my collection. Also I watch too much American Pickers.

Jun 30, 2010
Most of the time, when a seller has an overpriced BIN, the reasons are:

1) they paid too much for it in the first place and hope to break even.
2) it's a PC item that they don't want to sell for anything other than a super-high price.
3) they think it's going to go up in value for some reason
4) they're crazy.

And in many instances the variable is either 1,2 or 3 and a potential buyer has to sometimes understand that point instead of trying to inform the seller of previous sales and then push his weight around by letting the seller know how UNREASONABLE the seller is by wanting more. In many instances the seller is the person who bought the other ebay items that sold... Once again, if the price is more than you want to pay, then just move on... Most sellers I know don't want to hear YOUR justificacation why HE should sell a card for less than he wants to get for it.

BTW. I NEVER have tried to tell a seller what to sell his card to me for. I either like or move on. Pretty simple. I use the same approach in the real world...Np harm no foul either way

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
This type of situation is F'ing what pisses me off about eBay... The reason for it is sometimes you'll get a guy who responds with "If you're going to lowball me then stop offering or I'll block you" or something stupid. Just wish people wouldn't play games. NO one will pay the $120 or even $100, so why the F would you start it that high?

IMO eBay should just have a format of "Offer Only" and then we don't have to play these stupid games. Maybe with that feature the seller can specify a minimum and maximum if they wanted too, I don't know.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
This type of situation is F'ing what pisses me off about eBay... The reason for it is sometimes you'll get a guy who responds with "If you're going to lowball me then stop offering or I'll block you" or something stupid. Just wish people wouldn't play games. NO one will pay the $120 or even $100, so why the F would you start it that high?

Just for fun, do a search for 1994 SP Alex Rodriguez PSA 8 and you'll find 5 being offered for less than $30 via bin. You'll also find one guy selling his for $130 each.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Just for fun, do a search for 1994 SP Alex Rodriguez PSA 8 and you'll find 5 being offered for less than $30 via bin. You'll also find one guy selling his for $130 each.
I'm sorry but it's just stupid lol.

Again, eBay just needs to offer an Offer Only option for people who are scared to put a BIN price out there which is an instant buy. I don't blame sellers for this but good god sometimes it's just so stupid. For example, the Belle nameplate in my sig... guy started bidding at like $1000... then it wen to $800... then $600... then down about $25 every week until it went to like $425 and then he just pulled it and went back to offers LOL...

I wish eBay would still charge people for auctions which go unsold or listing fees because it'd stop tards like this from doing what they do to play games IMO.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Personally, I rarely use the best offer option. When I list a BIN I list a realistic price, a price I will sell it for. I am not the type that likes to fish or give in to the notion that placing a BIN of $100 will get me a sale of $50 easier or quicker, when in fact the card sells for ~$50. However, I concede there are times when a card is too volatile or rare to properly ascertain a conclusive selling point and in that case I may list a card with the higher end of reason and set the BO at the lowest I will accept, meaning any offer above my set BO will auto accept, anything lower will auto decline.

ultimately I like to use the '.99 and ride' method mostly.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
And in many instances the variable is either 1,2 or 3 and a potential buyer has to sometimes understand that point instead of trying to inform the seller of previous sales and then push his weight around by letting the seller know how UNREASONABLE the seller is by wanting more. In many instances the seller is the person who bought the other ebay items that sold... Once again, if the price is more than you want to pay, then just move on... Most sellers I know don't want to hear YOUR justificacation why HE should sell a card for less than he wants to get for it.

BTW. I NEVER have tried to tell a seller what to sell his card to me for. I either like or move on. Pretty simple. I use the same approach in the real world...Np harm no foul either way

So wait, I pushing my weight around by pointing out why Im offering $50 on an item you have listed for $120??
I dont get your other point of if the price is more than you want to pay, the just move on. They have it listed as a BIN/BO!
Wasnt my post clear that a BO option was attached to this BIN?
And to point out, if the BIN would have been 50% over the going rate, I wouldnt point out the going rate, but if as a seller you are going to list at 2 1/2 - 3x the going rate, Im going to point out I did my research, hopefully you will to to see my offer is valid.

Jun 30, 2010
So wait, I pushing my weight around by pointing out why Im offering $50 on an item you have listed for $120??
I dont get your other point of if the price is more than you want to pay, the just move on. They have it listed as a BIN/BO!
Wasnt my post clear that a BO option was attached to this BIN?
And to point out, if the BIN would have been 50% over the going rate, I wouldnt point out the going rate, but if as a seller you are going to list at 2 1/2 - 3x the going rate, Im going to point out I did my research, hopefully you will to to see my offer is valid.

As a seller,I don't want to hear why you want to only pay a certain price according to only your agenda to pick it up as cheaply as possible. Your justification or pushing your weight or agenda around, really doesn't matter as I stated in many instances that I might have paid more than you are willing to offer. Happens all the time.

I have no problem with the Best Offer option, I have it on many of my auctions. My point is to make your best offer, let the seller decide if he wants to take it, if not then move on. You, me or anyone else telling a seller what he should sell his card for is not relevant in what HE decides to sell it for.

The going rate can also be irrelevant. Maybee the seller doesm't want to sell for the going rate for any number of reasons such as:

1) he believes the card will be going up in value
2) he is a buyer at that rate
0r 3) he just doesn't care to sell at that rate

Jun 30, 2010
Isn't that the whole point of a seller putting something up as a "best offer"?

I have NO problem with Best Buy Option. I use it all the time. I am talking about justifying why the seller should sell to buyer at XYZ price. Just make your offer, let the seller make a decision. If he accepts then win/win, if not then move on to something else.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Not sure how many times during the FB off season I was offered 33-50% of my asking price w/ the "buyer" pointing out previous sales. I would counter w I understand but I didn't feel that was market value when season approaches. Sure enough I list them during pre season at MBs of what I was asking originally and I ending up getting 10-50% more than I originally was asking. That translates to 40-100% more than the offers from those buyers who tried informing me of previous sales. So sometimes recent sales don't mean a lot.

Long story short is a lot of the sellers know what the item had been selling at when they list their item.

Ryan

Last edited:

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Not sure how many times during the FB off season I was offered 33-50% of my asking price w/ the "buyer" pointing out previous sales. I would counter w I understand but I didn't feel that was market value when season approaches. Sure enough I list them during pre season at MBs of what I was asking originally and I ending up getting 10-50% more than I originally was asking. That translates to 40-100% more than the offers from those buyers who tried informing me of previous sales. So sometimes recent sales don't mean a lot.

Long story short is a lot of the sellers know what the item had been selling at when they list their item.

Ryan

Ryan
FYI its not a baseball item, its an in season sports item. I only posted in baseball because all other forums are dead.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
As a seller,I don't want to hear why you want to only pay a certain price according to only your agenda to pick it up as cheaply as possible. Your justification or pushing your weight or agenda around, really doesn't matter as I stated in many instances that I might have paid more than you are willing to offer. Happens all the time.

I have no problem with the Best Offer option, I have it on many of my auctions. My point is to make your best offer, let the seller decide if he wants to take it, if not then move on. You, me or anyone else telling a seller what he should sell his card for is not relevant in what HE decides to sell it for.

The going rate can also be irrelevant. Maybee the seller doesm't want to sell for the going rate for any number of reasons such as:

1) he believes the card will be going up in value
2) he is a buyer at that rate
0r 3) he just doesn't care to sell at that rate
Me stating what I see as the previous sales are and offering an average price is NOT me telling the seller what they should sell for, its me telling the seller my reason for offering 40% of their BIN price. I am trying to not get the sellers ******* all in a bunch with them assuming Im lowballing. Its called a justification for my offer.

The process has worked with some sellers and not with others. I will continue my practice of quoting recent sales when making offers on items where the BIN price is 3x+ the going rate.

Jun 30, 2010
Me stating what I see as the previous sales are and offering an average price is NOT me telling the seller what they should sell for, its me telling the seller my reason for offering 40% of their BIN price. I am trying to not get the sellers ******* all in a bunch with them assuming Im lowballing. Its called a justification for my offer.

The process has worked with some sellers and not with others. I will continue my practice of quoting recent sales when making offers on items where the BIN price is 3x+ the going rate.

For me, as a seller, your reasoning( whether valid or not) has NO effect on what I am willing to sell my card for. All that matters is what I am willing to take for it. But that's just me. Others may feel differently.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
FYI its not a baseball item, its an in season sports item. I only posted in baseball because all other forums are dead.

I understand . Let me also state that I counter even if it is at my full asking price with a reason / note as well. I try to at least counter one time and not just ignore the offer.

Ryan

Members online

Latest posts