Thread: Clayton Kershaw 7 yr 215 MM extension

carddash
     carddash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
    Yeah, it's a double edge sword for sure.

But when I do see things like this, a little part of me wants to actually see the player completely fail and make the team regret handing out such a ridiculous contract, putting an albatross on the franchise.

Hopefully what the Pujols contract does to Anaheim, and the Cano contract does to Seattle.
    Now come on, I know you like to defend ARod, but you can't leave him out too.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasHawk View Post
    Great ERA, but 16-9 is not mind blowing.
    He had 11 starts with 2 ER or less allowed where he received a loss or no decision. Pitcher wins and losses are worthless.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markakis8 View Post
    Now come on, I know you like to defend ARod, but you can't leave him out too.

You're right.

Resident Yadier Molina, and Pro Wrestling super fan.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by All The Hype View Post
    ...although he has won 2 Cy Youngs in 3 years (he was 2nd in voting in 2012).
    Tim Lincecum did the same thing, then he became mediocre and is being paid $20 million a year.
    I hope Kershaw fares better, but signing pitchers to monster contracts is a huge risk.
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I read the story correctly, opt out after 5.
    Holy hell hes gonna be a 300 million player if he wins 2-3 Cy Youngs and the Dodgers win 1-2 titles in the next 5 years.
    Sent using my two hands, ten fingers, a keyboard and an internet connection.

GMS-SPORTS-CARDS
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vwnut13 View Post
    ...but when the Yankees do it...
    They were keeping their own guy.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Musial Collector View Post
    If I read the story correctly, opt out after 5.
    Holy hell hes gonna be a 300 million player if he wins 2-3 Cy Youngs and the Dodgers win 1-2 titles in the next 5 years.
    Well that's not going to happen because they're never going to get past the Cardinals in the playoffs.

Resident Yadier Molina, and Pro Wrestling super fan.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Tim Lincecum did the same thing, then he became mediocre and is being paid $20 million a year.
    I hope Kershaw fares better, but signing pitchers to monster contracts is a huge risk.
    I was waiting for someone to mention Lincecum

I don't think Kershaw is going to lose effectiveness to the point where he becomes mediocre. Maybe he's not a Cy Young winner every year, but he's still young and has all the talent and polish to be a superstar for years.

Then again, maybe he will be a Cy Young winner 3-5 of the next 7 years and we'll be debating whether he was undervalued or not.

Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by All The Hype View Post
    I was waiting for someone to mention Lincecum

I don't think Kershaw is going to lose effectiveness to the point where he becomes mediocre. Maybe he's not a Cy Young winner every year, but he's still young and has all the talent and polish to be a superstar for years.

Then again, maybe he will be a Cy Young winner 3-5 of the next 7 years and we'll be debating whether he was undervalued or not.
    He will never be undervalued at $30 mil per

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasHawk View Post
    This is incredibly painful for me to say, but I agree with everything Sam has posted in this thread.

Whew! That took a piece of my soul with it...
    Sorry Charlie, I disliked your post. Not necessarily for agreeing with Sam, but for the fact that you admitted it.

With that said, it is a ton of money for a pitcher......but if there is one pitcher to be paid that amount of money, it's Kershaw. I mean he is having one of the best starts to a career since someone like Doc Gooden. I'd even go out and say that Kershaw has had a better start to his career than Gooden. Look at Kershaw and Gooden's start to age 25 seasons and that will show how good Kershaw is. Kershaw has a lower WHIP, ERA, ERA+, better K/9, H/9, etc....only trails in like CG and SHO, but the game is different today, and managers don't let pitchers go the distance anymore. A more even comparison to start a career would be Tom Seaver. Yeah you know, arguably one of (if not the) greatest modern day pitcher to ever bless a mound. By age 25 the are nearly identical in all stats. Kershaw has a slightly higher era, slightly lower ERA+, slightly lower W%, slightly higher WHIP, slightly lower H/9, higher K/9, and slightly higher K/BB. Amazing how Kershaw is on pace to equal Tom Seavers career, and you guys are saying that he is getting too much money? I'm sorry guys but money is part of the game now, and as long as there is money to be spent it will. Based off that, Kershaw having the career he is and also being a player you could build a franchise around, I'd say $215m is par for the course.

So I figured that he will be a free agent at around 33 years of age, which is still plenty young for the Red Sox to sign him to a 3 year deal. I'll patiently wait for that day. I love that the Sox have moved on from large contracts, but Kershaw is literally the only player in baseball I would want them to throw a bunch of money at. No limit. I don't worry about him breaking down into his early 30's like Pedro or someone like that, because Kershaw is actually well built, not skinny like a bean pole, lol.
    Boston Red Sox 2013 World Champions! #BostonStrong

-Thanks to JBel4331 for the sig

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Huge risk based on what? I understand your point when a pitcher is signed to a large contract into his mid-late 30's, but Kershaw will be 33 when this contract runs out...which will be about the end of his prime years. Dodgers were smart to maybe pay a little more AAV for less years.
    Boston Red Sox 2013 World Champions! #BostonStrong

-Thanks to JBel4331 for the sig

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good for CK!

The best pitching talent in MLB and has many productive years ahead of him.

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
    What a stupid contract. No pitcher is, ever has been, or ever will be, worth $215 million.

No position player is worth that. And no player who only plays once every five days is worth that.

But kudos to Kershaw for getting such a large contract.
    Couldnt agree more!!!!
    RoncalliJetsForever9096822
    HOFer Craig Biggio-1469/4879-29% Craig Biggio Card Site
    HOFer
    Derrick Brooks-260/773-33% Derrick Brooks Card Site

GMS-SPORTS-CARDS
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love how other fans always feel the need to piss in other fans cheerios.

Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gmsieb View Post
    I love how other fans always feel the need to piss in other fans cheerios.
    Not about that for me at all. If the Cubs gave a pitcher $200 mil I'd call that stupid too.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast